Need encouragement

Options
I have been in a plateau for six weeks now. I was doing great, making forward progress every week since June, then suddenly it just ceased. I weigh the same now as I did in the beginning of December despite really sticking to it. I have said I am in this for the long haul and have my sights set on the summer, but at this rate I will never reach my goal!
I changed my activity level to sedentary and have the goal of 1 lb of loss per week.
I eat my exercise calories (usually) and try to get to the gym three times a week for a half hour of cardio. The scale is just not budging. At all. In fact, this morning, I was a pound heavier, I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes.

I am 48 and perimenopausal.

Someone tell me if I just do what I am doing I will break this incredibly long plateau! I beg of you! :)

Replies

• deniseindc
    Options
    Hey Sue -

First 35 lbs lost is awesome. I would love to say I've accomplished that. Reading your post the thing that jumps out at me is that you are eating your exercise calories. My trainer is the one that encouraged me to use MFP and she consistently reminds me that ideally I shouldn't eat my exercise calories. Maybe dip in every now and then and eat part of them but really do lose weight I shouldn't. So, you might try that.

I also just read and article about eating smaller meals through out the day. I know we've all probably read about that at some point or another. I haven't actually tried it but I'm going to attempt it next week and see if I see any progress.

Hope you have a great weekend!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    have you lost any fat and just gained muscle? do you measure yourself with a tape measure?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No, I have not been measuring myself.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Are they getting looser?
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    I have gone from a 16/18 to size 12.
    I am just discouraged because I still have a lot of weight to lose! I am not even halfway to my goal of an 80 lb weight loss.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try eating a little outta of your norm for a few days. It helps me.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ...& add cardio.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Try eating a little outta of your norm for a few days. It helps me.
    What do you mean? Different food or going over on calories?
  • Spunkykid578
    Spunkykid578 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    keep up the good work....keep in mind 35lbs is a good amount to lose...its more weight than a three year old child. your doing awesome
  • whitneyrsmith
    whitneyrsmith Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sue,

Fantastic for losing 35 pounds, that's awesome!

I agree with the others on measuring yourself! My boyfriend is a bigger guy and had quite a bit to lose, well, he lost a lot of weight quickly then hit his plateau and started measuring himself. He wasn't losing on the scale anymore, but his waist was shrinking!

Try it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I need to change up my exercises to get results.
    Over time our bodies can get so used to what we perform that it ceases to be as effective.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Regarding "eating your exercise calories" - I know there are varying opinions on this item, but for me it works to eat mine. Also, if I gain - oftentimes, I find I've been high on my sodium intake - are you watching yours? It's shocking and sad how much sodium is in much of the processed foods. Since last August, I set a goal to exercise (in some fashion) for at least 30 minutes per day - you may want to up your exercise level. Lastly, I didn't see you mention water intake - VERY important. Best wishes on getting the scale moving again - although, as others have already stated - well done on your loss thus far! :flowerforyou:
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First can I say that I'm very impressed with your weight loss to date.

I took the liberty of looking at your food diary for the last week and I see that you are usually under yoru protein allowance and high on carbs. I found that it was easier to lose weight when I upped my protein. Have you considered changing some of your carbs to slow release ones such as brown rice and wholegrain? You do seem to have a sweet tooth as well, so consider swapping chocolate to fruit.

You probably need to up your cardio, 30 mins x 3 is not enough, I've heard say that you do not really get into the fat burning zone until you have excercised for 40 mins.

The plateau will pass, they always do if you dont lose heart and keep your eye on what you are eating.
  • Deni_thin
    Deni_thin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The half way point~ that's AWSOME! the good news: Your body has gotten MORE efficient as you have changed your life style, which is great, but it means that in order to continue to lose weight and gain muscle you need to change things up!

Are you still doing the exact same work out as 3 months ago? YES!? Your body is bored with it now! That means it's time to do either a different work out, or add some intensity like interval training. Or maybe try something you've never done! Or even change up the time of day you normally work out. Our bodies acclimate to routine, so If you've been working out in the afternoon, go to the gym in the morning. . . you see what I mean! It needs a new challenge!

Another way to increase the intensity is through motivation. So think about getting a work out buddy to compete with. . . try to add 10% more time or weight or ?? to Your routine each week. Challenge each other to stay with it the longest (or some other goal). Humans LOVE to keep up their neighbors! So this is a good way to be sure you are not making your grocery list while you work out instead of focusing on your work out!

Since you don't want your body to go into complete deprevation mode, it's better to add exercise than to reduce your calorie intake even more. But don't eat all of your exercise! Also look out for that snacking that can creep back into your day once you feel you are on the right track . . . for example: did you sample the food at Costco? Finish off your husbands wine/beer/soda from the enarly empty glass? Eat a chip off your daughters plate? That kind of "hidden eating" can really add up and it doesn't even register that you are doing it!

And mainly hang in there! The body and brain chemistry are resistant to change, but eventually the science of calories in versus calories out will win out! Good luck!
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    You may actually not be eating enough. I don't find MFP's calculations to be anywhere near accurate - I actually find them to be too low in many cases. Try adjusting your calorie intake up and try switching up your routine (you body will adjust and the same exercises burn less overtime if you don't change it up). I like to use http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/calorie_counter.asp instead of MPF to set my goal. I estimate the base calories I need for an average 24 hour day using that and force it into MFP. So, 24 hours of calories = (10 hours x cal/hour "sleeping") + (8 hours x cal/hour "working") + (1 hour x cal/hour "walking")... and so on. This gives me a more accurate baseline for calories to maintain and I never just simple cut 1,000 calories per day off of that. That's a dramatic decrease in calories for most folks. I usually cut around 25% of my calories and reduce that as I have less weight to lose. Slow and steady is also better in terms of maintaining the loss long term. You want to make healthy changes that you can sustain, not ones that you hate and will give up on later.

Be sure that the calories you are taking in are high quality calories. Low-fat, no-fat, nutrient-free foods are no good to your body. You need nutrient dense, whole foods. All calories are NOT created equal, meaning a 100 calorie apple is different (and better) than a 100 calorie snack pack.

You may also need to talk with your Dr, as you mention that you are perimenopausal, that could be part of the issue you are having.
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Change up your exercise. Your body gets use to the same routine everyday. Don't stop working out, the benefits out weigh what your scale says. Your weight loss to date is excellent. Try not to be discouraged. Look how far you have come. If you know anyone who has done Weight Watchers, the members have some great tips for breaking though Plateaus (I can't spell). ex; Add
    two tsp of a healthy oil to your diet, like olive oil. Straight oil, not mixed in salad dressing. Make sure your water is being consumed. Hope this helps.
  • alonzoteam2
    Options
    (Assuming you have not)
    Recalculate your daily calories based on your new weight
    Add weights - (Body For Life has the easiest program I have ever used)
    Add one more day of exercise or 10 more minutes a session/ day (anytime)
    Add intervals to your workout
  • darcilynn73
    Options
    As with most anyone, I have been there as well. A few years ago I was doing an Extreme Boot Camp exercise program and after the second session, I plateaued! Lost about 30lbs and then no amount of exercise or eating right bumped me off of that dreaded place. Although they (EBC trainers) recommended pushing myself to run faster and "up" my intensity to break the cycle, I couldn't push past the mental block. However, everyone here seems to be very insightful and there is a great amount of experience here so just stick with it and don't let the scale intimidate you! I look forward to hearing your progress and know that we can all find motivation in our individual goals and inspiration. Please know, your weight loss is very inspiring! Oh, my 2 cents of thought on the plateau is definitely add more cardio and get into the sweat zone of your workouts. Looking for some MFP friends, please add me! Good luck everyone!
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    thanks you guys. I appreciate the suggestions, everyone's so helpful.
    To answer some questions, I am working out more than ever now, and I am consuming at least 8 cups of water a day. Lately I have been hungry a lot, maybe I am not eating enough.

Another thing is that I stopped eating breakfast at the time I stopped losing, preferring to save my calories for the end of the day when I am hungriest. Hm.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's the problem. When you don't eat breakfast you do not loose weight. Your body goes into a starvation mode and it says wait keep the fat we(your cells) may need it. EAT breakfast. How about toast with low fat cottage cheese on it. or plain oatmeal. You will start loosing again. Muscle weighs more then fat. Are you over exercising for the amount of calories you are taking in? you should not be hungry....this is not be abusive to you, it should make you feel good. Good luck