The true cause of obesity

Options

Replies

• kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Before the agro-industrial revolution, cows were fed primarily grass, with some grains as necessary (in winter, hay shortage, etc.)

Now, cows are fed primarily corn. Beef is considerably fattier now than it was prior to this shift in diet. Cattle aren't evolved to eat corn, they're evolved to eat grass. Eating a diet they have not evolved to eat has increased their body fat.

If we eat what we evolved to eat, we won't be fat.
  • travla01
    travla01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Before the agro-industrial revolution, cows were fed primarily grass, with some grains as necessary (in winter, hay shortage, etc.)

Now, cows are fed primarily corn. Beef is considerably fattier now than it was prior to this shift in diet. Cattle aren't evolved to eat corn, they're evolved to eat grass. Eating a diet they have not evolved to eat has increased their body fat.

I agree completely, humans weren't originally were not designed to eat corn either, early in human history we didn't eat it either ... Our society eats so much corn its unbelievable. Look at the labels and do some research.. food makers have changed the name of corn products. It is in most processed foods...
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I think it is a mixture of all the OP's examples. I must add though, that most domesticated animals eat processed food and are neutered.

Animals in the wild who have a surplus of food have more offspring - the more food, the larger birthrate. The surplus energy goes into producing and nurturing the offspring. In our society we don't have loads of children in response to surplus of food. In fact we have even less children now.

If we grew/bred all of our food and ate as much as we wanted chances are we wouldn't be overweight. The processing of foods increases its calories but reduces its volume. Bypassing the labour involved in growing/hunting for food also increases the calories in the food.

There is also other theories about water and predation.

Processing food reduces its water content, the water content in food may actually play a role in satiety. More water content = less over eating.

It has been known that animals lose weight in response to the threat of predators - not just being chased by predators but sight of predators. According to the theory animals are able to escape quicker when lighter so the body gets rid of surplus energy stores - it finds a balance between needing energy for food deprivation and being light enough to evade predators.

Since we are high up on the food chain the fear of predators is quite low - though perhaps if you walked alone at night a few times a week the pounds might fall off faster (joking)

I think there are a multitude of reasons why people get fat, its a lot more complex than calories in-calories out, although it does boil down to this in simplified terms. This is why you can always find slim people who are sedantary and fat people who are very active, its a lot more complicated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I also want to throw this out there: I saw a video on TED talks the other day about how human beings like to think in terms of stories, and how we almost always characterize our lives in terms of good vs.evil. But it's rarely that simple and dumbing it down that way makes us dumber in our ability to fully understand circumstances. It's not that certain foods are good and others are evil. It's not that the food corporations are evil either. They have done what worked to sell the most food. It's a lot of factors that all happen simultaneously and attributing everyone's obesity to one or two causes is too simplistic.
  • kateroot
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

I agree completely, humans weren't originally were not designed to eat corn either, early in human history we didn't eat it either ... Our society eats so much corn its unbelievable. Look at the labels and do some research.. food makers have changed the name of corn products. It is in most processed foods...

Yes! It's insane. And I'm not even just talking corn.. Sugar, flour, etc.. none of it was prevalent in the "human" diet until we all started becoming overweight. That's not to say I don't eat any of those things ever, but ideally we really shouldn't.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Yes! It's insane. And I'm not even just talking corn.. Sugar, flour, etc.. none of it was prevalent in the "human" diet until we all started becoming overweight. That's not to say I don't eat any of those things ever, but ideally we really shouldn't.

But again, we need those foods to feed Earth's population. Before we started processing food a lot of people went hungry. Processed food isn't evil-- it allows most of the world to eat. It's amoral. It serves a purpose. We're the ones who have to decide how to use the food as a tool.
  • travla01
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Yup! I have given up those things as well (for the most part, I do have my weak moments). It is amazing how much better I feel and less 'addicted' to food. (meaning the extreme hunger that needed to be immediately addressed). Do you have any good recipes?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Yup! I have given up those things as well (for the most part, I do have my weak moments). It is amazing how much better I feel and less 'addicted' to food. (meaning the extreme hunger that needed to be immediately addressed). Do you have any good recipes?
    None of this means that we can't eat corn.
  • kateroot
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Tons! I get a lot of my recipes from the atkins website. I don't follow atkins, but they have some great recipes. One of my favorites lately has been egg "muffins" that you make with eggs, veggies, and cheese and bake in a muffin pan. It's great for breakfast on the go without having to reach for a breakfast bar or a bagel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,690 Member
    Options
    There's only one true cause of obesity and that's excess calorie surplus. That's it.

How people get to that point are due to many different reasons.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kateroot
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

None of this means that we can't eat corn.

No one ever said we can't. Maybe that we shouldn't, but not that we can't.
  • travla01
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

But again, we need those foods to feed Earth's population. Before we started processing food a lot of people went hungry. Processed food isn't evil-- it allows most of the world to eat. It's amoral. It serves a purpose. We're the ones who have to decide how to use the food as a tool.

We fed the poor this cheap food but now the lowest income bracket are still the least healthy. They have the highest instance of obesity and diabetes that shorten their lives...yes they are fed, but at what cost? Some people might think the trade off is worth it.. but in no problem has been fixed.. (at least in my eyes)..

I understand the political motivation in taking the scarcity out of food. But at the same time, (and I may sound a little naive but I do believe and HOPE for this...) if we as a society demand non processed organic food supply I think capable enough society to make that happen.
  • CurryGirl89
    Options
    We don't have to chase a hamburger through a forest and tackle it and then break it's neck before we consume it. I also haven't seen a lion order his deer-meat online while watching ESPN.

Drastic energy expenditure differences there.

I just got a mental image of a group of people chasing hamburgers.... and a lion ordering food online.... I need a like button....
  • kateroot
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

I hate to break it to you, but there are still a hell of a lot of people in the world going hungry. The agriculture industry is not out to save the world or feed the hungry. The agriculture industry is out to make money, just like any other industry.
  • PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    There's only one true cause of obesity and that's excess calorie surplus. That's it.

That's what was implied in the quote from Jean Mayer that I paraphrased originally.

How people get to that point are due to many different reasons

This is what I intended to have discussed...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

I hate to break it to you, but there are still a hell of a lot of people in the world going hungry. The agriculture industry is not out to save the world or feed the hungry. The agriculture industry is out to make money, just like any other industry.

That's true-- but they're not evil. Their function is to make money by providing people with food. The food/industry is not the reason people starve. I'm not saying they're out to save that world (that's good vs evil again) I'm just saying that food in and of itself, does not have moral value.
  • travla01
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

Tons! I get a lot of my recipes from the atkins website. I don't follow atkins, but they have some great recipes. One of my favorites lately has been egg "muffins" that you make with eggs, veggies, and cheese and bake in a muffin pan. It's great for breakfast on the go without having to reach for a breakfast bar or a bagel.

Good Idea... I'll have to try that.. I struggle with breakfast during the week.. I am up and out early and would like something that would be easy!
  • travla01
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

That's true-- but they're not evil. Their function is to make money by providing people with food. The food/industry is not the reason people starve. I'm not saying they're out to save that world (that's good vs evil again) I'm just saying that food in and of itself, does not have moral value.

I just don't think this cheap, processed,food is helping as much as we would like... the people that this processed food is feeding are not at all healthy. They are overweight, diabetic and plagued with all sorts of problems.. Yes people are fed.. but at what cost? We have seen a population explosion recently because the scarcity of food has gone down.. but the health of the population hasn't' changed at all..
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

We fed the poor this cheap food but now the lowest income bracket are still the least healthy. They have the highest instance of obesity and diabetes that shorten their lives...yes they are fed, but at what cost? Some people might think the trade off is worth it.. but in no problem has been fixed.. (at least in my eyes)..

I understand the political motivation in taking the scarcity out of food. But at the same time, (and I may sound a little naive but I do believe and HOPE for this...) if we as a society demand non processed organic food supply I think capable enough society to make that happen.
    I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure the reference to "feeding the world's population" was referring to feeding *the world's* population, not just that bit of it that has more food than it knows what to do with. We're not talking about poorer people in rich countries, we're talking about poorer people in poor countries, who rely on these kinds of high yield staple crops in order to survive. There is not enough land on earth to sustain everyone on an organic diet - if all farming went organic tomorrow billions of people would start to starve. There is no need, either, to sustain everyone on an organic diet. The fact is that humans are incredibly good at living on a massive variety of different foods, and once they get into the gut and get broken down to their constituent parts it makes less difference than you might think. If you don't want to eat corn, by all means don't eat it. But unless you have an allergy to it, or you eat too much of it, it's not a problem.

ETA: we're seeing a population explosion because more people in poor countries are seeing their children survive into adulthood rather than dying from hunger or preventable diseases. Yeah, those populations are healthier than they were before. A lot healthier. The fact that people in rich countries eat too much and make themselves sick does not detract from that achievement.
  • travla01
    Options
    Here's my take on it:

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure the reference to "feeding the world's population" was referring to feeding *the world's* population, not just that bit of it that has more food than it knows what to do with. We're not talking about poorer people in rich countries, we're talking about poorer people in poor countries, who rely on these kinds of high yield staple crops in order to survive. There is not enough land on earth to sustain everyone on an organic diet - if all farming went organic tomorrow billions of people would start to starve. There is no need, either, to sustain everyone on an organic diet. The fact is that humans are incredibly good at living on a massive variety of different foods, and once they get into the gut and get broken down to their constituent parts it makes less difference than you might think. If you don't want to eat corn, by all means don't eat it. But unless you have an allergy to it, or you eat too much of it, it's not a problem.

Of course this is just my opinion and take it as that..Yes they are getting fed.. but I just don't think it is as "all saving" as people think..People in these countries are still starving, and partially due to the fact that their population's are growing. The agricultural revolution brought population increase... the more food available=more population.. I just don't think that mass produced, nutrient deprived food is the answer.. its more of a band aid on the starvation problem in this world..

Not saying that things haven't gotten better.. but it hasn't solved the problems.. and infant mortality rates haven't changed enough to explain ALL of the population growth in those countries.