My experiment with Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

Options
pauljsolie
pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
I found a cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe when searching online for dehydrating potatoes. I tweaked the recipe and entered it into my recipes and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. This is totally unscientific but I was careful to check all the ingredients to make sure my version was as accurate as possible. These taste incredible and are somewhat better for you. This wasn't too difficult and will be easy to prepare for camping trips. I vacuum seal the dry mix in a pouch then put that into a bigger pouch with the dehydrated potato slices and seal it all.

Paul's Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes 3/4c per serving, 1 serving Cal=218 Fat =1 Carb=41 Protein=9 Fiber=5 Sodium=305
Betty Crocker - Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, 3/4 Cup Prepared Cal=210 Fat=8 Carb=32 Protein=3 Fiber=3 Sodium=975

Basic Sauce Mix
8 Tbsp. Nonfat Dry Milk
1 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum (or 1 Tbsp. corn starch)
1 tsp. Onion Powder or 1 Tbsp. Crushed Dried Onions
1 tsp. Molly McButter
1 tsp. Molly McButter Cheese Sprinkles
1 tsp. Dried Chives
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper

Combine the above ingredients to make 1 package of sauce mix and vacuum seal it in a bag. Place in a larger vacuum seal bag with 1.5 cups (60 grams) of dehydrated potato slices.

Scalloped Potatoes

1.5 cups water
Heat water until simmers, add 1 pkg. of dry mix and stir continuously until thickened. Add dehydrated potatoes and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Yield: 1.5 cups or two 3/4 cups servings

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Observations: In the time it took to write this post and do the comparisons, the potatoes cooled a bit and they were still good but not as creamy. Might need to add more water since it does not look like they will reheat very well. Best to make only the amount you'll eat in one sitting. Also they weren't as "cheesy" as they seemed to be when hot. Will keep tweaking.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Great job on experimenting and learning how to make things healthier. Keep at it!