Good Kindle Books (free)

Options
Duelltolose
Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
Hey!
Just throwing out a great topic for all of those who have a Kindle and want to read something really good for free.
I've only read 3 books so far on my kindle.

My favorite was Left Behind book 1. So great! I wished all the other's were free. It's so intense and really draws you in. And, it really makes you think about your own life.

So go ahead and list some of yours. :)

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love it that all of the classics are free. I have been a Tolstoy fan since I can remember, and a few months ago I finally read "War and Peace" because I didn't have to wag around a giant book! GO KINDLE!
  • Duelltolose
    Options
    I got all the classics. Right now I'm supposed to read Frankenstein. So we'll so how that goes.
  • rsparks38
    Options
    look up the pixel of ink website - they will email you lists of free kindle book everyday, and not all in the top 100 list, so possibly harder to locate yourself if you have the old school kindle, like I do.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Gemma Halliday has a series of books (3 or 4) that are $1.99 right now. They are a light read with mystery/romance in them. Nothing heavy. If you have read Janet Evanovich this writer is similar in style. If you have not downloaded Overdrive Media onto your Kindle or Nook you need to do that so you can check out ebooks through your local library. I can keep the books from the library for 14 days then send them back. Easy and Free!!!
  • Hollhollholly
    Options
    Frankenstein is actually amazing.

My other half is looking to get his books published so if anyone wants to read one for free and let me know how it is that'd be cool! :D [/selfpromotion] lol
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    Frankenstein is an amazing social commentary! I'm reading (yeah it's nerdy) the Forgotten Realms novels right now. But the next classic will be Dracula. most likely.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Free on Kindle
    All Mark Twain, it rarely gets better than that.
    La Voyage de la Lune(The Moon Voyage) by Jules Verne. Rarely read but really enjoyable.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love looking at the top 100 free books often because you can find some really good stuff there. I got this one book for free called "Fireflies in December" and it was a wonderful book-it reminded me of "To Kill a Mockingbird." However, the book is no longer free. There are two more books in the series, so I think the author made the first one free to get it out there. I noticed that happens sometimes with the books I get for free-at some point they start charging for it. I think it's an author's way to get their name out there because if it's free, who wouldn't try it?

I really should stop looking at that list though, between my Kindle books and the print books I have, I have enough to last me for years and I keep getting more. :laugh:
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I prefer the dirty, raunchy romance novels
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    little women, jane eyre, there are some free mills and boon books.

i don't get all mine from the kindle store now there's a site i use that does free books called smashwords they are legal and great reads!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also LOVED Fireflies In December!!!!

I just got a free Weight Watchers Recipe Book for free. It's Soups Stews and Chili's. Good crockpot ideas !!

Classic I read for the first time, since it was free, was Jane Eyre. WICKED good book!!! Takes a bit to get used to the language, but it really is a great story!

Skipped Parts by Tim Sandlin was good too. It's Catcher in the Rye style book. And he has follow up books with the same characters , I haven't read yet.
  • Duelltolose
    Options
    look up the pixel of ink website - they will email you lists of free kindle book everyday, and not all in the top 100 list, so possibly harder to locate yourself if you have the old school kindle, like I do.

Ahh that will save my butt loads of time! Thanks!

On the other note. I keep downloading more and more. :) Can't stop. I want them before they cost money.
    *I have the kindle with keyboard. Got it for free after my grandpa bought the fire. Score!!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    And I've also gotten some great buys on the Kindle Daily Deal. You can sign up for emails , they have a different book at a GREAT discount every day. The books are have very good ratings and are or were bestsellers.

Here's the website:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_170810_22483370_pe_greeter/?docId=1000677541
  • brendaplummer
    Options
    Loved a Weekend with Mr Darcy!!! light reading and a good chick book!!!!
  • jessilee119
    Options
    I just said that I need to stop getting books and I just got some more lol!!!
  • jessilee119
    Options
    Amazon Prime also lets you borrow certain books for free and then you return it when you're done to get another. Right now, the Hunger Games books are on the Prime list to borrow. That's if it's worth it for you to pay the yearly Prime membership. Some people order enough stuff on Amazon that the free shipping alone is worth it for them. Not worth it for me at the time, but maybe in the future-we're actually trying to cut back on spending...that's why I love the opportunity to get free books!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can find later
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    They don't call them the classics for nothing. Books that are so good people read them 100 years later means that they are REALLY good and timeless. I've got a ton of favorites, but here's a starter:

The Count of Monte Christo - sex, revenge, bad guys, adventure, hope, despair - it doesn't get any better than this
    The Three Muskateers, - adventure, bad guys, good guys, awesome plot and writing
    David Copperfield - although most would say Great Expectations, this is my favorite
    Pride & Predjudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility - any thing by Jane Austin - she captures her characters and presents their essence flawlessly.
    Dracula - scared the hell out of me.
    Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
    Tarzan - Edgar Rice Burroughs - yes, really. It's a series and it's a classic.

More recent:

Shogun - Transports you to a hidden world, which you experience through the protagonist - awesome
    Ask the Dust - John Fante
    Road to Los Angeles - John Fante
    The Great Railway Bazaar - Paul Theroux
    Dark Star Safari - Paul Theroux
    Post Office - Charles Buckowski
    The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury classic
    Something Wicked this Way Comes - also Bradbury - totally creeped me out
    Deathbird Stories - Harlan Ellison
    All books with Lazarus Long in them by Robert Heinlein
    Enders Game - Orson Scott Card - this is not a childrens book and still his best. The mirror books on this are also good.
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein - Grok it!
    2001 - Arthur C. Clarke

Ok, just a smattering of a lot of different genres, but I've read thousands of books, really, and this is a good start.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for these sites for books. I love my kindle, but I am into more of true crime and mystery books.
  • Duelltolose
    Options
    Thanks so much for these sites for books. I love my kindle, but I am into more of true crime and mystery books.

I love crime books. My favorite!