Protein Shake Suggestions - Please Help!

Options
Hi

I currently use PhD Pharma Whey diet before the gym (1/2 a serving) but really don't like the taste (worked my way through nearly all the flavours and settled on strawberry as the least offensive).

Coming to the end of my bag so looking for an alternative which doesn't have the same after taste or something with different flavours - maybe banana?

I need a protein powder which:
- is for weight loss
- has green tea etc to speed up loss would be fab
- as would one that has recovery agents
- doesn't contain Caffeine as I can't take it

I've looked up USN ultra lean, & Sci MX so far as possibilities, and ruled out Maximuscle lean due to the caffeine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Guys :)

Replies

• amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Ceffy, I can really recommend a protein powder that I use quite frequently but you can only buy it from Ireland.
    It is called PROFemme by educohealth. It is low glycemic high calcium cassein derived from milk protein.
    Online contact - www.educohealth.com
    I have the vanilla cream one which tastes lovely...
    Hope that helps.
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks I'll have a look :smile:
  • LouCarr84
    Options
    Hi,
    I use the PHD diet whey in white choc (this the first time I have tried PHD). I found the taste really ofensive at first but I have found that if I put a little bit more power in than the directions suggest and a lot of ice then I actually quite enjoy it now. :-)
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    I was hoping for suggestions too. the only one that tastes delicious is gnc's brand but its very expensive. I tried Vitamin World's brand. it tasted good but had a huge amout of sodium! My friend said the brands in walmart are not that bad and not crazy expensive. I'll check some out and let you know. One is called Body fortress chocalote flavor. I'm going to give it a try.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Cookies and Creme...I make it with water and frozen strawberries for 140c and it's great. Plus the protein has no carbs which is something I watch. It's a little more expensive and I bought the 7lbs because it saved money to buy the bigger amount. It's located on Bodybuilders.com...something to look at.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you feel about soy protein but I use Vanilla Spiru-Tein and really like the taste.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I use Body By Vi :-) YUMMY
  • Ceffy
    Options
    I use Isopure Cookies and Creme...I make it with water and frozen strawberries for 140c and it's great. Plus the protein has no carbs which is something I watch. It's a little more expensive and I bought the 7lbs because it saved money to buy the bigger amount. It's located on Bodybuilders.com...something to look at.

Is that a US brand or UK? (I'm in the UK)

The reason I was considering the USN Ultralean is that it's half the carbs of the PhD Whey!!!
  • Ceffy
    Options
    Hi,
    I use the PHD diet whey in white choc (this the first time I have tried PHD). I found the taste really ofensive at first but I have found that if I put a little bit more power in than the directions suggest and a lot of ice then I actually quite enjoy it now. :-)

Also think the thing that makes it worse for me is not being able to blend at work (which is where I have the shakes).
    So no ice of fruit in it = boring & a horrid after taste! :noway:

might try blending one up in the morning then shake it up later & cross my fingers it doesn't go horribly wrong :frown:
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I often mix in the morning and keep for the day just sipping it as and when I need a little topup.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you like the brand you are using I would just find ways to spice it up so it tastes better. Vanilla extract or some people put coconut milk, pineapple juice, etc. I don't like the taste of mine and I found if I put less water in it than recommended I like the taste better.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you feel about soy protein but I use Vanilla Spiru-Tein and really like the taste.

Agreed. I like all of the flavors.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need a protein powder which:
    - is for weight loss
    - has green tea etc to speed up loss would be fab
    - as would one that has recovery agents
    - doesn't contain Caffeine as I can't take it

Um protein powders are a supplement to supplement your diet with extra protein if you cannot meet your protein needs through whole foods. No powder will do anything for weightloss that protein through whole foods can do.

One of the reasons green tea has shown to be some benefit to weight loss is due to it's caffeine content, so asking for both green tea but not caffeine isn't going to be that much benefit, but it is a pretty decent anti oxident
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It doesn't contain green tea, but I like it-- Isopure Zero, also Muscle Nog. Both pretty tasty. Primal Fuel is excellent as well.
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    I drink the Premier Nutrition shakes available at Costco in the US. You can also look them up online...
  • Samoa1955
    Options
    Hi Ceffy,
    I make shakes with unsweetened, vanilla almond milk, frozen banana, berries, honey and this powder from Health Force Nutritionals. I mix their veggie and fruit powders. This mix gives you several grams of protein, fiber, and vitamins. Unless you are a vegetarian, or doing super crazy workouts I found that the protein powder was overloading me with protein. This mix gives you the vitamins and energy to get going and stay lean. Good luck!

PS - I miss England! Spent a year over there.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it came from Canda....the website is bodybuilders.com Hope this helps
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I like Nectar whey protein, I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. I'm not sure if it has everything in it that you are looking for but it is definitely low carb/low fat and it tastes great.

I was sick of chocolate that didn't taste like chocolate and vanilla that didn't taste like vanilla but fake fruit always seems to taste good. I tried the kiwi strawberry(?) and it tasted amazing! It's on the high side of $$ but completely worth it as far as I'm concerned.

I also like Optimum Nutrition chocolate casein. I don't like any of their other flavors and I don't like their whey protein but casein is thick and milky and tastes good.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Um protein powders are a supplement to supplement your diet with extra protein if you cannot meet your protein needs through whole foods. No powder will do anything for weightloss that protein through whole foods can do.

I can't help but think "vegetarian", lol. Not hating - I actually tried the vegetarian protein thing but I could never get enough. Makes me really appreciate people who know how to cook vegetarian meals the right way. I run around so much that carrying chicken everywhere is pretty inconvenient (I tried that too). Protein shakes are over in 5 minutes! Win win!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Beware of soy.
    Soy is a phytoestrogen, which means it messes with your estrogen levels.
    Too much soy every day can cause infertility, thyroid problems and other health issues.