Normal after effect of weight training?

Options
Finally plucked up the courage to wander into the weights section......had an amazing personal training session, my first one, involving a fabulous mix of intense cardio with weight training, using my legs core and upper body. Came out feeling amazing, exhausted, really sore and really challenged, and was promised by my trainer that I definitely would not bulk up - as my goal is to look lean and thin, rather than muscular. However after a nice shower I noticed I looked so swollen, bloated puffed up - and generally a lot bigger than I am :S is this a normal side effect of weight training or Should I stop and continue with just cardio and a healthy diet? He also said for me to eat every 3-4 hours, will I still be able to lose weight if I keep my deficit low (normally I don't eat between meals). Thanks guys!

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is what is commonly known as "The Pump." Your muscle become engorged with water after a workout, causing them to become slightly larger and harder. This is so the body can send nutrients to repair the muscle (when you weight train, you tear the muscle and it rebuilds stronger). It is completely normal and a sign that you did something right :).

Now onto the diet, your metabolism will speed up if you eat 6-8 small meals throughout the day. You can still have a calorie deficit, but you'll just eat a smaller formal breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Also realize that the water retention will go away when you have no more soreness in a day or so. Good job :)
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    After a hard weights session I always put on a couple of pounds and I believe this is fluid is due to inflammation of the muscle tissue - if you have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) this is especially true. It goes after another day or so. Nothing to worry about.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! This has really spurred me on to work hard and keep up with the weights now :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to wander into the weights section......had an amazing personal training session, my first one, involving a fabulous mix of intense cardio with weight training, using my legs core and upper body. Came out feeling amazing, exhausted, really sore and really challenged, and was promised by my trainer that I definitely would not bulk up - as my goal is to look lean and thin, rather than muscular. However after a nice shower I noticed I looked so swollen, bloated puffed up - and generally a lot bigger than I am :S is this a normal side effect of weight training or Should I stop and continue with just cardio and a healthy diet? He also said for me to eat every 3-4 hours, will I still be able to lose weight if I keep my deficit low (normally I don't eat between meals). Thanks guys!
    That, as people have mentioned, is totally normal.
    WORRY NOT!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Now onto the diet, your metabolism will speed up if you eat 6-8 small meals throughout the day. You can still have a calorie deficit, but you'll just eat a smaller formal breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

PLEASE do more research. Your metabolism does not "Speed up" by eating small meals.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

PLEASE do more research. Your metabolism does not "Speed up" by eating small meals.

4-6 meals a day work so does 3. It's all about #'s in and #'s out.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid buildup.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

This has actually been disproven. I still eat more often because that's just what I prefer, but it's actually broscience that it does anything to help the metabolism.