Breakfast

Options
How many of you eat breakfast within the first 30 minutes of waking up? I've heard that can really boost your metabolism. I work out first thing in the morning and have a hard time eating before I workout. I usually just drink a glass of water and cup of coffee then start my workout. After my workout I eat.

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I used to eat pretty soon after I awake. Now it's about 2 hours.

Personally I think every body is different therefore I don't have experience myself that it's boosted my metabolism or not.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Usually have a yogurt before work out. After my shower a bowl of cereal with fruit or small wheat bagel with peanut butter and banana (my favorite) If I work out on an empty stomach UGGGGGG
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i eat with in the hour of waking up. I have to eat as soon as i wake up or i cant function
  • TeeRaceFisher
    TeeRaceFisher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat within an hour of waking up- I can't get going until I've had breakfast. Breakfast is my biggest meal usually. I can't eat a lot at once at night. I haven't noticed it kicking up my metabolism though, it just wakes me up. I like to exercise in the afternoon/night too.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    Days when I go to the gym, I eat within an hour of waking up; any other time during the week I eat within 10 mins of leaving my house because I want to stay full until lunch time at work. I really don't like to snack unless it's fruits at work.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've heard that can really boost your metabolism.

ANY time you eat, you spend a percentage of those calories on digestion (I'm simplifying here). However, it's not dependent on frequency or timing. You are still going to get this effect whether you eat at 10am or 11pm. It's a function of calorie intake and to a lesser extent, macronutrient composition.

You can skip breakfast with no detriment to your metabolism. You can also skip lunch and dinner. In fact, you can probably go upwards of 72 hours, but that would be a bit silly.

I would suggest to you that you eat when it best suits your lifestyle, and disregard anything that says you need to eat at a certain time, medical issues aside.
  • cassidygrooms
    Options
    I get out of bed and walk straight to the kitchen... breakfast is my favorite! :smile:
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    How many of you eat breakfast within the first 30 minutes of waking up? I've heard that can really boost your metabolism. I work out first thing in the morning and have a hard time eating before I workout. I usually just drink a glass of water and cup of coffee then start my workout. After my workout I eat.

This is exactly what I do, I have a really hard time eating in the morning before working out. I have never been much of a breakfast eater.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If I eat when I've just woke up I'l end up vomiting it all back. I have to wait three/four hours before I can successfully keep anything down, partly why I struggle to get more than two meals a day.

My hubby on the other hand could eat all day every day. Not sure how he does it, his BMI is in the 'healthy' rage and always has been.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry in the morning, generally. I work 2nd shift and I'm in bed by midnight, asleep by 1am most nights. When I get up at 8:30am I get the coffee going, take care of the animals, and get the kitchen in order. I cannot exercise until I've had a couple of cups of coffee (again, generally) because my legs feel like pillars of concrete until the coffee has had time to work its wonders.

I usually start to work out about 10:30am and depending on whether I do one workout or two, it is noon or 12:30pm before I get a bite of food into me... by this time I am really hungry and my body is now demanding protein. So I feed it. This has been working well for me for the past few weeks... I then don't really get a true lunch... since I know that though I allow myself some pretty heavy caloric breakfasts.
  • keshalady
    Options
    I like to eat breakfast first thing. Then I can workout with more energy. The more time I invest in my body the more I understand my needs.. I think its a mater of what your bodies needs to function the best.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i never ate breakfast before i started to change my ways two years ago..when i finally got a trainer in the summer of 2010 she emphasized over and over that i need to eat breakfast. then i moved on to another male trainer who said to eat as soon as i get up in the morning.. i eat breakfast within an hour of getting up and ive lost 80lbs so far..guess not eating breakfast contributed to my big ol'gut after all!!!
  • cojack2
    cojack2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning and can't eat right away but usually reverse my meals. I have a small snack like banana or few crackers w/ peanut butter. After the work out, I eat my breakfast of eggwhites w/ veggies and fruit or oatmeal etc...