Tips? From the winners/losers ;-) Q&A (Have a look and answe

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I thought it would be helpful to the people that are just starting this journey to ask the people that have reached their goals or have been doing this a while to post maybe your top 5 tips. (Or more)

So if possible can you answer the below questions.

1- What was your changing moment that made you say enough is enough? And start your journey?

2- What was the motivation that kept you going when it got tough?

3- Did you follow a specific "diet" and exercise plan? Did you do a certain workout?

4- When and how did you start to exercise?

5- What is the best advise/tip that you could pass on to us newbies?

6- Anything else that you want to share?

Thank you for taking the time to do this, this place is so motivational and inspirational and to hear from the graduates makes us first graders think this is possible! You guys ROCK X:love::flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :love:

Replies

• elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    1- What was your changing moment that made you say enough is enough? And start your journey?
    In August 2010, I realized I hated trying on my work clothes. When it got to the point I was trying on a pair of 18W jeans and could barely button them, after crying for a bit, I decided it was time to get "for real".

Hearing people tell me I wouldn't last. Seeing the scale go down (even if only by points not lbs).

3- Did you follow a specific "diet" and exercise plan? Did you do a certain workout?
    No specific diet - just followed MFP's setup. :wink: I run 3 days a week and do body weight training the rest of the days. I am going to attempt a bodyrock.tv workout this weekend.

I didn't start working out regularly until I'd lost most of my weight. I HATED working out -would do sporadic dvd workouts once a week then quit for a month :blushing: . I finally found something I really enjoy doing - running - so I do that 3 days a week. Once it warms up and the time changes I'll probably be out there every day!!

Don't freak out if the scale goes up by a lb one week. Look at your routine, figure out what happened and FIX IT. Give yourself a break. This has to fit into your daily routine and if you panic over ONE setback, you'll fail in the long run. However, if you continue to have the same ONE setback continually, you need to reevaluate how and why you are doing this. No more excuses. :smile:

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! :flowerforyou: You only fail when you QUIT.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    A few things, a photo of me at a family party, my decision to go on a cruise and my clothes getting too small.

Seeing the scale drop was a big motivator. Plus I started to feel different early on, I had more energy. Especially when my
    Having a goal for my cruise helped a lot also.

No, what I ate a year ago and what I eat now has evolved. I just worried about staying under and eating good healthy
    foods. I did not want to make anything "off limits" and at parties if I felt like it I ate cake or whatever.

My exercise has changed a lot, just find something you love. I used to go to the gym, now I go to classes and run. It's important
    to like what you do so you will want to do it.

I started slow, I had a little stair stepper I would do for a few minutes then worked my way up. I added walking my dog, and doing
    wii fit, then I felt that wasn't enough anymore so I started using the university gym.

Make an attainable goal, don't make anything off limits, and plan ahead.

Plan, plan, plan. Know what you want to prepare for dinner, make sure you have what you need for it. Have food for breakfast,
    lunch and snacks available. If you know you are going to be out eat first or pack your lunch. Also keep it fun, and don't get
    discouraged.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! Those are some GREAT answers.

Anymore???? Come on people share with us x
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and started at 210lbs in sept 2010. I met my goal of 130lbs in Nov 2011 and have been maintaining since then.

Getting on the scale and seeing 210lbs, I couldnt believe i had let myself get to that point

Knowing that I was making progress and seeing changes in my body even if it wasnt always as quick as I would have liked

I cut out processed foods and tried to eat whole foods as much as possible but I didnt make any foods off limits, I just ate less of them or worked out more to earn the calories. I have always varied up my exercise to keep from getting bored and to keep my body guessing. I enjoy running, hiking, cycling and also exercise videos mainly kickboxing. I also love lifting weights and seeing those muscles grow

I started exercise at the very beginning, starting out slow with walks and short rides, working my way up to running using a modified c25k and cycling longer and longer distances. I started with a lighter weight and worked my way up. Finding exercise that you actually enjoy is key. There are still days when I do not want to workout but once I start doing it I have fun.

Do not starve yourself, eat back your exercise calories if nothing else it makes it seem less like you are "dieting", do not make any foods off limits or you will just want them more. Include strength training with heavy weights in your exercise plan.

Anyone can lose weight and keep it off if they put their mind to it. Forget all of the gimmicks and pills out there and just eat less and move more.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near done my journey, but I have been successful so far. My ticker says 45lbs, but its actually 65 from my highest :)

I had been wanting to make a change for a long time. I got up to 307lbs and a size 24. After I had my daughter, I tried a diet, lost about 15lbs, then gained back 20. This fall, my friend basically told me to go work out. (Not in a mean way AT ALL) it was more of a "Do you want to work out first or second?" (She works with me in my home and we have to take turns). We had been talking about it for months but kept making excuses.

I think the biggest thing for me was not lying to myself. Even before I started this journey I had been working on myself and decided I wanted to live life with integrity and that meant being true to myself, and not lying to myself or others any more. (Not that I had ever been a liar to my friends, but I hid how I felt more, and didn't speak up for myself as much. I cared more about what other people thought than I should have and let it hold me back from many things). I realized that the ONLY person I was really hurting was myself. So when it gets tough, I try to stick to the program, because even if I don't immediately see the results, I know I am doing the right things and it HAS to pay off... Sometimes I need a reality check when I get disappointed, then I make sure the next week I give it my ALL before I'll even think of giving up...

No specific diet. I eat whatever I want and try to fit it in my cals. Either my working out more or saving calories. BUT I do concentrate on getting lots of protein and fibre. I'm also trying to concentrate on eating more vegetables in my diet. I do let myself go over my calories once in a while on special occasions, usually never above that though :)

I started exercise right away. I was walking lots but really wanted a challenge so at 284lbs I started the couch to 5k program. I also use a lot of Turbo Jam DVDs, currently I'm doing The 30DS, after which I will do Chalene Extreme. I also have Zumba for Kinect, Just Dance 3, and Biggest Loser Ultimate workout, and a few other DVDs... I can never get bored. Also I injured my knee running over Christmas so I bought a punch pass for my gym and go there once a week or so for low-impact cardio

Seriously, its simple... STOP LYING TO YOURSELF! You gotta take responsibility for your actions. If you mess up, IT'S OK!! I mess up all the time!! Just make sure you get back on track! Its a long, hard, slow journey, so just take it 5lbs at a time. I have 162lbs to lose... Thats a LOT... but taking it day by day, 5lbs by 5lbs now I only have 97lbs left to go!!

6- Anything else that you want to share

I like high fiber high protein foods for snacks because they keep me feeling full and help me eat less!!
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you xx Very motivational! x
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I Was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes and I could not really fit on the rides at my favorite amusement park.

Pure determination to become healthy.

3- Did you follow a specific "diet" and exercise plan? Did you do a certain workout? No specific diet, just started eating healthier. No specific workout. I did start parking at the very back of store parking lots so I would have to walk a longer distance.

I started out with 10 minutes on the treadmill, 5 minutes on the elliptical about 3 times a week. I had to loose at least 50 pounds before I could get through a workout DVD and I am still working up to some harder workouts.

Never give up and don't expect super fast results. It takes time to loose weight the healthy way.

I started out at 248 lbs. I am now 172 lbs. It has not been fast or easy, but it is worth the effort.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you! Well done to all of you..Truly inspirational!
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hi im 5'4" and i was 298 the day i was in labor with my son. i was about 271 when i came home from the hospital...but i use 298 at my HW. today i am 178:)

i breastfed my son so i didnt want to start actually trying to lose weight right away. im may of 2011 i was 240lbs and the scale wasnt budging anymore with breastfeeding so i decided it was time to do something about it

i kept thinking to myself "is this how you want to live your life?" i didnt want to be the fat girl anymore.

i increased my water intake. cut down on calories. added in alot of vegetables. started being more active

i started out small by just going for walks 3-4x a week. then i started jogging on the treadmill. now i do jillian micheals dvds along with the treadmill every once ina while

it is all a process and anything is possible!!!

to never ever give up on yourself. you are worth every minute of this...if you have a bad day, brush it off and move on!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I tend to be motivated by numbers on the scale. I was NOT going to go into the 160s.

I've done this before (when I was NOT going to go into the 150s, LOL). I know it works. I didn't have MFP and a smart phone then, but I used a pocket PC and Excel and created a spread sheet to track my calories, protein, weight etc. It kept track of my total calorie deficit so I knew what I should weigh and what I did weigh, and even when I hit a plateau I knew I was still within the predicted range. MFP is much easier than calculating it all myself, though. But having complete confidence that this will work is a great motivation. Also, my husband is VERY happy to see his wife looking like herself again.

I just make sure I get enough protein, calcium, vitamin K, etc. I exercise to allow myself to eat more calories. I calculated my requirements as "sedentary," so all exercise involves immediate gratification in extra calories for eating.

We have a treadmill at home that tracks calorie expenditure based on my current weight. I just hop on when I want to.

Use a mobile app. The smart phone is expensive, the data plan is expensive, but it makes a huge difference. The reason I gained the weight back after my first success is that my pocket PC died and I was trying to do it using Google Docs and my desktop computers. You don't get the ability to log things AS YOU EAT THEM. Having the smartphone allows me to make decisions about what and how much I will eat at the time I eat. I can have one donut but not two, or I can have a french donut but not a cake donut. And I don't forget to log all the calories the way I did when I had to do it later on my computer.

I hate to recommend spending a lot of money, but the smart phone/data plan and home treadmill have made all the difference for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!