Using Wii for Excercise

Options
Is anybody using Wii Sport or Wii Fitness as part of their daily excercise? I know it sounds kind of silly but I have been researching it on the internet and it says that you can burn 150-250 calories per half hour on Wii Fitness depending on your weight and the intensity of the games you play. We just got our Wii Fit so today was my first day using it and I was at the beginner level but have to say it was a pretty intense workout. I played Wii Fit for a half an hour and then followed it up with 15 minutes of Wii boxing which burns 125 calories for 15 minutes. I figured I burned about 300 calories total for 45 min of Wii. Thats not too bad for not going to the gym and its alot more fun than the stationary bike or treadmill. Ive decided that Im going to incorporate it into my daily workout in addition to the gym. :smile:

Replies

• TxTwstr01
    TxTwstr01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is anybody using Wii Sport or Wii Fitness as part of their daily excercise? I know it sounds kind of silly but I have been researching it on the internet and it says that you can burn 150-250 calories per half hour on Wii Fitness depending on your weight and the intensity of the games you play. We just got our Wii Fit so today was my first day using it and I was at the beginner level but have to say it was a pretty intense workout. I played Wii Fit for a half an hour and then followed it up with 15 minutes of Wii boxing which burns 125 calories for 15 minutes. I figured I burned about 300 calories total for 45 min of Wii. Thats not too bad for not going to the gym and its alot more fun than the stationary bike or treadmill. Ive decided that Im going to incorporate it into my daily workout in addition to the gym. :smile:
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit all the time!! I love the step class and will do the advanced class three times in a row which is 15 minutes and I think burns an ok amount of calories. I also love the yoga and strength training so I usually do some of those before or after the gym. I feel like I still have to go to the gym because even though I'm burning some calories it's just not the same kind of intense workout as an elliptical. Although if you do a bunch of different activities you work a ton of different parts of your body so I say yay for Wii Fit!!

:bigsmile: :happy: :laugh: :wink: :smokin:
  • TroyJLehan
    Options
    I am currently using it as part of my workout, and I have lost 43 lbs since sept.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i use the ps3 here :wink:
  • eriny
    Options
    not helping anything :mad: maybe my fingers
  • eriny
    Options
    :smile:
  • eriny
    Options
    hey neighbor how are you alvin here :drinker:
  • TxTwstr01
    Options
    You will have well excercised fingers Eriny! :laugh: XBox involves no movement but your fingers thats one of the reasons we bought a Wii. :wink:
  • wonderwouldyou
    wonderwouldyou Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I read in Men's Health January/February 09 issue that the playing Wii tennis only burned 1 extra calorie than sitting and playing a regular video game.
  • TxTwstr01
    Options
    This is an interesting article about using Wii Sport for excercise.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/wii-calories.htm/printable

It says you lose...

125 calories in 15 minutes of Boxing
    92 calories in 15 minutes of Tennis
    77 calories in 15 minutes of Bowling
  • eriny
    Options
    I read in Men's Health January/February 09 issue that the playing Wii tennis only burned 1 extra calorie than sitting and playing a regular video game.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! COD4 here i come :tongue:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I've worn my HRM while playing wii fit. One day, it took me two and a half hours (real time, not the shown exercise time) to burn 600 calories (I was playing more than just the aerobic games--also balance and strength training). Another day, an hour and a half (again, real time) to burn 300 calories. Just doing hula hoop, running, and the boxing on there, another day, I burned about 250 calories in about 50 minutes (real time), and I was pushing hard to get that.

If I'm doing any of the strength training, yoga, or balance games, I do not count those for exercise. I only count it if I'm doing the aerobic games.
  • TxTwstr01
    Options
    I dont plan on replacing my daily gym workouts with wii....Just adding the Wii to drop some extra calories and have fun. I got my kids interested in it as well so its becoming a good way to entertain them. :happy:
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    I hate how the Wii weighs me every time I get on - and those smart little comments!!!!
  • wonderwouldyou
    wonderwouldyou Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I dont plan on replacing my daily gym workouts with wii....Just adding the Wii to drop some extra calories and have fun. I got my kids interested in it as well so its becoming a good way to entertain them. :happy:

Good Call!!! :wink:

Go outside and have some real fun...

Wii is cool, but the real world can be much more interesting. :tongue:
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    I've been using the Wii too! I run, hula hoop, and do yoga and strength training! I've lost some weight already!