favorite movie of all time

Options

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Today it's Wings of Desire. :love:
    Nick Cave: [singing] From her to eternity.

Damiel: It's great to live by the spirit, to testify day by day for eternity, only what's spiritual in people's minds. But sometimes I'm fed up with my spiritual existence. Instead of forever hovering above I'd like to feel a weight grow in me to end the infinity and to tie me to earth. I'd like, at each step, each gust of wind, to be able to say "Now." Now and now" and no longer "forever" and "for eternity." To sit at an empty place at a card table and be greeted, even by a nod. Every time we participated, it was a pretense. Wrestling with one, allowing a hip to be put out in pretense, catching a fish in pretense, in pretense sitting at tables, drinking and eating in pretense. Having lambs roasted and wine served in the tents out there in the desert, only in pretense. No, I don't have to beget a child or plant a tree but it would be rather nice coming home after a long day to feed the cat, like Philip Marlowe, to have a fever and blackended fingers from the newspaper, to be excited not only by the mind but, at last, by a meal, by the line of a neck by an ear. To lie! Through one's teeth. As you're walking, to feel your bones moving along. At last to guess, instead of always knowing. To be able to say "ah" and "oh" and "hey" instead of "yea" and "amen."
    Cassiel: Yeah, to be able, once in a while, to enthuse for evil. To draw all the demons of the earth from passers-by and to chase them out into the world. To be a savage.
    Damiel: Or at last to feel how it is to take off shoes under a table and wriggle your toes barefoot, like that.
    Cassiel: Stay alone! Let things happen! Keep serious! We can only be savages in as much as we keep serious. Do no more than look! Assemble, testify, preserve! Remain spirit! Keep your distance. Keep your word.

Damiel: When the child was a child, it was the time of these questions. Why am I me, and why not you? Why am I here, and why not there? When did time begin, and where does space end? Isn't life under the sun just a dream? Isn't what I see, hear, and smell just the mirage of a world before the world? Does evil actually exist, and are there people who are really evil? How can it be that I, who am I, wasn't before I was, and that sometime I, the one I am, no longer will be the one I am?

Homer, the aged poet: Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman. With time, those who listened to me became my readers. They no longer sit in a circle, bur rather sit apart. And one doesn't know anything about the other. I'm an old man with a broken voice, but the tale still rises from the depths, and the mouth, slightly opened, repeats it as clearly, as powerfully. A liturgy for which no one needs to be initiated to the meaning of words and sentences.

Marion: Longing. Longing for a wave of love that would stir in me. That's what makes me clumsy. The absence of pleasure. Desire for love. Desire to love.

Damiel: [Damiel places his hands on the Dying Man's head] As I came up the mountain, out of the misty valley into the sun. The fire on the cattle range, the potatoes in the ashes, the boathouse floating in the lake. The Southern Cross.
    The Dying Man: [slowly begins to speak Damiel's thoughts out loud. They speak together at first. Then, Damiel walks away, and only the Dying Man speaks] The Far East. The Great North. The Wild West. The Great Bear Lake. Tristan da Cunha. The Mississippi Delta. Stromboli. The old houses of Charlottenburg. Albert Camus. The morning light. The child's eyes. The swim in the waterfall. The spots of the first drops of rain. The sun. The bread and wine. Hopping. Easter. The veins of leaves. The blowing grass. The color of stones. The pebbles on the stream's bed. The white tablecloth outdoors. The dream of the house in the house. The dear one asleep in the next room. The peaceful Sundays. The horizon. The light from the room in the garden. The night flight. Riding a bicycle with no hands. The beautiful stranger. My father. My mother. My wife. My child.

Homer, the aged poet: What is wrong with peace that its inspiration doesn't endure?

Peter Falk: [sketching an female extra, who is waiting on the set] What a dear face! Interesting. What a nostril. A dramatic nostril. These people are extras. Extra people. Extras are so patient. They just sit. Extras. These humans are extras. Extra humans.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Anna and the King.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What Dreams May Come - It is probably one of the best movies about true love.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    2001: A Space Odyssey
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Forrest Gump
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    Pretty Woman.....
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Tough to pick one...The Shawshank Redemption.

Me too - but 100 % The Shawsank Redemption !!!
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Labyrinth
  • milo28
    milo28 Posts: 42
    Options
    Grease
  • scopester
    scopester Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Another Coen Bros. fan here but I'll say The Big Lebowski
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    The Blues Brothers :glasses: :smokin:
  • nodone
    nodone Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Aliens : The second film... love my sci fi horror and thrillers!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The Sixth Sense
  • soulwarder
    Options
    Lord of the Rings! Movie Classic!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Terms of Endearment

Though I have to admit, I can't watch it till the end anymore, ever since it hits w.a.y. to close to home for me now. So sad. :frown:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Terminator 2.
  • denisey94
    denisey94 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Dead Poets Society
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    The Lion King!

Apparently the 8-year-old in me has spoken and is still sticking to this decision.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know it's cliche, but I have to say The Matrix.

I just remember my teenage self sitting in the movie theater having no prior knowledge of what it was about. Mind blown :drinker: