HRM question...

Options
Hello all,

I bought a Timex HRM yesterday and it has a chest strap. I wore them to the gym for my workout today and the calories are wayyyy off from what the machine says I burned. Im just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I did 35 minutes on the elliptical. The Machine says that I burned 356 calories but the HRM says I burned 519. I then jumped on the treadmill and walked at a 3.6 pace for 30 minutes and the machine said I burned 220 calories and the HRM says 400.

I did set up my HRM with my weight (220) , height (6ft), age (35), sex (F) and resting heart rate (72). From what I can tell it keeps a accurate heart rate while Im exercising. It was only off by maybe 3-4bpm from what the machines said, usually on the low side.

Mainly, I wanted the HRM to keep track of how many calories Im burning at home when I do my workout videos, but also plan to use it at the gym. Should I go with the HRM calories or the Machine readings? Any advice??

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I bought a Timex HRM yesterday and it has a chest strap. I wore them to the gym for my workout today and the calories are wayyyy off from what the machine says I burned. Im just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I did 35 minutes on the elliptical. The Machine says that I burned 356 calories but the HRM says I burned 519. I then jumped on the treadmill and walked at a 3.6 pace for 30 minutes and the machine said I burned 220 calories and the HRM says 400.

I did set up my HRM with my weight (220) , height (6ft), age (35), sex (F) and resting heart rate (72). From what I can tell it keeps a accurate heart rate while Im exercising. It was only off by maybe 3-4bpm from what the machines said, usually on the low side.

Mainly, I wanted the HRM to keep track of how many calories Im burning at home when I do my workout videos, but also plan to use it at the gym. Should I go with the HRM calories or the Machine readings? Any advice??
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    HRM, for the win.
    Sounds pretty correct.
    Machines are inaccurate, generally speaking.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing. My HRM was higher than the machines. That's because the machines default to probably around a 150 pound person. The HRM takes into account your higher weight and height as well and people who weigh more will burn more calories for a given exercise than someone much smaller :0) Go with the HRM reading and good luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    HRM wins....it's more accurate than the machines as it is in constant contact with your breathing and heart beats...Just remember to adjust your weight to keep it accurate.
  • knlamb10
    knlamb10 Posts: 33
    Options
    Sounds like a great HRM... I bought one you put on yoru finger... and I realized after it does not tell you total calories burned!! Can you tell me where you found yours? I bought this one because it was all the store sold.

Thx
    K
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Sounds like a great HRM... I bought one you put on yoru finger... and I realized after it does not tell you total calories burned!! Can you tell me where you found yours? I bought this one because it was all the store sold.

Thx
    K

I got it at Fred Meyers (Krogers). They are on sale right now for 25% off and regular price is $89.99. Its also double points week for Club card holders... :happy:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,753 Member
    Options
    I also found my heart rate monitor gave a higher amount than the machines. I expected the other way around. I thought for sure the machines would give a higher amount.

I did wear mine around and get a general idea of what I burn if I'm not working out and then I subtract that from what I eat extra for my exercise calories.
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was just very curious about this because if I have really been burning that many more calories each week, then I am definitely not eating enough and its more than likely the reason my weight loss has slowed a bit!! So this is VERY helpful!!

Thanks a ton!! :flowerforyou:
  • knlamb10
    knlamb10 Posts: 33
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks... and good luck to you too! I think if I can get a more accurate read I will lose more weight at well. I have been doing this for over 3 weeks and have only lost 1 lb!! YIKES!