Running: blisters on inner heels?

Options
I've had many a blister before, but that was when I was hiking to and fro to class in Payless flats. I was fit for running shoes last week (pictured in my user icon) and have taken them out 4-5 times since and haven't experienced any problems. However, today I noticed small blisters on the side of my foot, inside of both my heels. I'm sure others have experienced this, I'm just wondering if my shoes were too loose, etc. I'm hoping it just happens every so often to runners and that the problem isn't my shoes (because I just bought the damn things for $109!).

Thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Well, my first thought was "get fitted for proper shoes".
    But it sounds like you did.
    My second thought is your socks. Maybe something a little thicker or designed for running.
    My last thought, is you got the wrong shoe. Sorry to say but there are shoe stores out there that don't know what they are doing even though you get "fitted". I had a friend do just that a month ago, and they put her in a shoe WAY to narrow for her. She went to an actual running shop and got a proper pair and no blisters since.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My second thought is your socks. Maybe something a little thicker or designed for running.
    My last thought, is you got the wrong shoe. Sorry to say but there are shoe stores out there that don't know what they are doing even though you get "fitted". I had a friend do just that a month ago, and they put her in a shoe WAY to narrow for her. She went to an actual running shop and got a proper pair and no blisters since.

Thanks for the feedback! It just dawned on me that I wore a pair of thinner, tighter running socks today for the first time instead of the more padded ones I usually wear. I think the mystery is solved!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You may be able to resolve the issue by lacing your shoes differently. Here's an article from Runners World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

The one for "my heel slides up & down" may be a good one hope this does the trick! Additionally, you can always use an anti-chafing powder or stick...
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! It just dawned on me that I wore a pair of thinner, tighter running socks today for the first time instead of the more padded ones I usually wear. I think the mystery is solved!
    Glad I could help. Some advice I got ready to run my first 5K was, never run in new gear. You don't want to be half way through it and find out something is uncomfortable. So stay to the same sets of gear and pay attention to possible problems when I get new gear.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You may be able to resolve the issue by lacing our shoes differently. Here's an article from Runners World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

The one for "my heel slides up & down" may be a good one hope this does the trick! Additionally, you can always use an anti-chafing powder or stick...

Great resource, thanks!