"Starvation Mode" Party Line

I'm so tired of seeing, "you must eat at least 1200 calories or you'll go into starvation mode!"

It's. Not. True.

Starvation mode exists, but it's VERY RARE, and you have to eat less than 50% of your BMR for a prolonged period of time for that to happen, which for most people is much lower than 1200 calories. It is also extremely difficult to go into "starvation mode" unless you have a very low body fat percentage. Telling someone who's not losing weight that they need to eat more to start losing is not sound advice whatsoever. Should someone eat more if they're hungry all the time? Sure. Should someone eat more if they're lethargic? Yep. Should someone eat more when they're not hungry and have plenty of energy, just because they haven't met some arbitrary calorie goal? My vote is no.

"1200 calories" is an arbitrary number. Yes, it's true that *most* people will not function well with less than 1,200 calories a day long-term, but it's not true for everyone. If you eat 1,000 calories a day, or less, and experience no excessive hunger, nutritional deficiencies, or unwarranted fatigue, there's no reason you NEED to eat 1,200. I'm not advocating very low calorie diets, by any means. I eat 15-1800 calories a day. But it's what works for me.

Weight loss is a very individual process. We ought to keep that in mind when giving advice to others.. and the "starvation mode" party line is worn out.

/end rant.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    For me the issue isn't whether the metabolism will slow. It's that a.) it's a slippery slope from 1,000 cals a day to 400-- a person stops losing and they automatically think they need to drop it some more. I have some people on my friends' list who used to eat 1200 and now average 400. and b.) it's difficult to get the nutrients you need on less than 1200 per day. A person needs to talk to their doctor or a nutritionist and be able to plan very well to make it work.

Sure 1200 might not be the magic number for every single person, but it's the guideline for a reason (not arbitrary). Also, just because a person doesn't feel hungry doesn't mean they're healthy. When I got here I was eating 900 cals per day and it wasn't "good" food either, and I wasn't hungry or losing weight. My stomach had shrunk from months of practicing eating so little and I thought 900 calories was necessary for me because I was just cutting down every time I stalled. Now I eat 1500 cals per day and still lose weight. I respectfully disagree that someone's body will automatically tell them if they need to eat more. Sometimes the brain needs to take precedence.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Our newspaper had an article on tips on losing weight and the author said not to skip meals because you would go into starvation mode. SKIPPING A MEAL!!! LOL

OMG how rediculous this has gotten. Normally I just skip over the starvation mode posts because they make me want to scream.
    I'm with you on this one!
  • I'm so tired of seeing, "you must eat at least 1200 calories or you'll go into starvation mode!"

It's. Not. True.

Starvation mode exists, but it's VERY RARE, and you have to eat less than 50% of your BMR for a prolonged period of time for that to happen, which for most people is much lower than 1200 calories. It is also extremely difficult to go into "starvation mode" unless you have a very low body fat percentage. Telling someone who's not losing weight that they need to eat more to start losing is not sound advice whatsoever. Should someone eat more if they're hungry all the time? Sure. Should someone eat more if they're lethargic? Yep. Should someone eat more when they're not hungry and have plenty of energy, just because they haven't met some arbitrary calorie goal? My vote is no.

"1200 calories" is an arbitrary number. Yes, it's true that *most* people will not function well with less than 1,200 calories a day long-term, but it's not true for everyone. If you eat 1,000 calories a day, or less, and experience no excessive hunger, nutritional deficiencies, or unwarranted fatigue, there's no reason you NEED to eat 1,200. I'm not advocating very low calorie diets, by any means. I eat 15-1800 calories a day. But it's what works for me.

Weight loss is a very individual process. We ought to keep that in mind when giving advice to others.. and the "starvation mode" party line is worn out.

/end rant.

THANK YOU!!!!! =)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Anyone seen a dead horse lying around? I suddenly feel the need to beat something.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Our newspaper had an article on tips on losing weight and the author said not to skip meals because you would go into starvation mode. SKIPPING A MEAL!!! LOL

OMG how rediculous this has gotten. Normally I just skip over the starvation mode posts because they make me want to scream.
    I'm with you on this one!

I do agree that it's gotten blown way out of proportion, but that doesn't mean it's safe or healthy to eat very low calorie. But yeah, skipping a meal =/= starvation mode by any stretch.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Whether or not "starvation mode" exists is disputable. However, why the hell would anyone want to eat that little of calories? Not only is it setting yourself up to have a micronutrient deficiency, but you're also potentially setting yourself up for a binge.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Anyone seen a dead horse lying around? I suddenly feel the need to beat something.

I know, I know.. It's not like this hasn't been discussed before. I almost hesitated to post because of that, but pretty much every other thread on here is something that has been discussed before.

So there's that.
  • There is no magic number as you say but the truth is your body needs nutrients and eating very low does not provide enough. Our bodies burn calories throughout the day...it uses energy to do every task on top of your BMR. Our body needs enough fuel. The thing is I suffered from anorexia and now I'm recovered (gained to more than I started out with which is why I'm here) but it's true. I started eating 1200--then went down to 1000--then to 500 or lower net. I had energy (I worked out everyday for at least an hour if not two), I didn't feel hungry because my stomach had shrunk so much that I couldn't even eat more without feeling sick. Even at 500 calories, I felt full but that's not healthy.

It kills your metabolism when you don't eat enough. It's better to eat close to your BMR and incorporate exercise to burn calories too. For example, my BMR is 1700...I eat 1600 most days and burn about 250-300 in exercise. I lose about a pound a week which is fine by me. I'm losing it the healthy way this time around so I can keep it off and eventually build my muscle tone.
  • kateroot
    Whether or not "starvation mode" exists is disputable. However, why the hell would anyone want to eat that little of calories? Not only is it setting yourself up to have a micronutrient deficiency, but you're also potentially setting yourself up for a binge.

That isn't true for everyone. My mother is 48 years old, 5'4 115 lbs., eats between 800-1000 calories a day with no binges or cravings, is very healthy, strength trains, and runs half-marathons. Again, it's individual.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    LOL thanks!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member

Who cares about being healthy? It's all about being skinny! Get with the program man!

I should add... Not all people function within the limits of human physiological boundries. Apparently.
  • cjfogh
    cjfogh Posts: 15 Member
    I am 4'10 and I have always gained weight when eating 1200 calories a day. I lost 86 pounds on weight watchers I few years back and that averaged 1000 calories per day.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member

That isn't true for everyone. My mother is 48 years old, 5'4 115 lbs., eats between 800-1000 calories a day with no binges or cravings, is very healthy, strength trains, and runs half-marathons. Again, it's individual.

Have you heard of outliers? Apparently your mother is one. That or possibly she underestimates her calorie intake.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Under 1200 is a very small diet but I think it could suffice for some.
  • For me the issue isn't whether the metabolism will slow. It's that a.) it's a slippery slope from 1,000 cals a day to 400-- a person stops losing and they automatically think they need to drop it some more. I have some people on my friends' list who used to eat 1200 and now average 400. and b.) it's difficult to get the nutrients you need on less than 1200 per day. A person needs to talk to their doctor or a nutritionist and be able to plan very well to make it work.

Sure 1200 might not be the magic number for every single person, but it's the guideline for a reason (not arbitrary). Also, just because a person doesn't feel hungry doesn't mean they're healthy. When I got here I was eating 900 cals per day and it wasn't "good" food either, and I wasn't hungry or losing weight. My stomach had shrunk from months of practicing eating so little and I thought 900 calories was necessary for me because I was just cutting down every time I stalled. Now I eat 1500 cals per day and still lose weight. I respectfully disagree that someone's body will automatically tell them if they need to eat more. Sometimes the brain needs to take precedence.

THANK YOU!!! Completely agree! You may lose weight and feel full of energy but when someone eats 800 calories a day they are not healthy. Health is more important to me than being skinny!
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Bump. I vary between 900-1300, take plenty of vitamins, and meet my daily nutritional values..not to mention have an incredible energy improvement... And I am 9 oz from having lost 80 lbs. Starvation-smarvation..not missing a meal here! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    The thing that you have to realize is most of the people who ask questions about being at 1200 calories usually start out their posts saying they are doing at least one or two of the following things:

1. Not losing
    2. Feeling starved
    3. Burning 1000 calories a day and not eating them back by sticking strictly to only the alloted 1200 which means they are netting only 200 calories per day.
    4. Bingeing

So, when someone posts on the thread saying they should eat more the warning is that hey are not immediately going to go into starvation mode. We all know it takes time for this to happen. The warning is to let these people know that it is possible if they stick with what they are doing for too long. Of course we know that this doesn't apply to everyone. My mom is 5' tall, very petite and has probably never eaten more than 1200 calories per day in her whole life. That said, if someone is finding that at such a low calorie goal that they are not losing, why NOT give it a couple of weeks at a higher calorie goal to see if it works for them? I personally maintained through Christmas, lost a pound the first week of the year and lost nothing until this morning since then. You know what helped? Upping my calories. No, it won't work for everyone, but what are we supposed to tell these people? Go ahead go down to 500 calories a day and see if that works? Nope, not for me.

Edited to add, when I tried 1200 calories I felt hungry, cranky and literally stupid all of the time! It was awful!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    I'm so tired of seeing, "you must eat at least 1200 calories or you'll go into starvation mode!"

It's. Not. True.

/end rant.

I am sorry to say but I disagree with you. Many of my MFP friends know I hit starvation mode last year around June/July. I was only living off of about 900-1100 calories a day. I felt weak, tired, I went to the doc, he checked my hormonal level to find them ALL out of whack. After a month or two of trying to work out to the point that I could not keep my HR up or even break a sweat yet all the time feeling like I was going to die I stopped and took a break. I maintained 1900cals as a intake and the weight kept going up and up and up. Finally it dawned on me to look at my caloric intake. I was eating 2200 cals a day and burning something like 1000-1300 a day in exercise. Finally about 2 months ago I started to feel "normal" again.

I just started losing weight again after fighting this and trying to figure out what it was. it was starvation mode. My body was holding on to every calorie it could for dear life and storing it as fat!
  • kateroot
    The thing that you have to realize is most of the people who ask questions about being at 1200 calories usually start out their posts saying they are doing at least one or two of the following things:

1. Not losing
    2. Feeling starved
    3. Burning 1000 calories a day and not eating them back by sticking strictly to only the alloted 1200 which means they are netting only 200 calories per day.
    4. Bingeing

So, when someone posts on the thread saying they should eat more the warning is that hey are not immediately going to go into starvation mode. We all know it takes time for this to happen. The warning is to let these people know that it is possible if they stick with what they are doing for too long. Of course we know that this doesn't apply to everyone. My mom is 5' tall, very petite and has probably never eaten more than 1200 calories per day in her whole life. That said, if someone is finding that at such a low calorie goal that they are not losing, why NOT give it a couple of weeks at a higher calorie goal to see if it works for them? I personally maintained through Christmas, lost a pound the first week of the year and lost nothing until this morning since then. You know what helped? Upping my calories. No, it won't work for everyone, but what are we supposed to tell these people? Go ahead go down to 500 calories a day and see if that works? Nope, not for me.

Edited to add, when I tried 1200 calories I felt hungry, cranky and literally stupid all of the time! It was awful!

I can't do 1200 calories either! I have to be at 1500+ or I get dizzy and lightheaded, not to mention miserable. I zig-zag my calories also, so some days I'm over 2,000. I'm definitely not saying that increasing calories can't help weight loss, just that it doesn't for everyone, and that "starvation mode" is a severely overused phrase that really is meaningless for most people.
  • kateroot

It's. Not. True.

/end rant.

I am sorry to say but I disagree with you. Many of my MFP friends know I hit starvation mode last year around June/July. I was only living off of about 900-1100 calories a day. I felt weak, tired, I went to the doc, he checked my hormonal level to find them ALL out of whack. After a month or two of trying to work out to the point that I could not keep my HR up or even break a sweat yet all the time feeling like I was going to die I stopped and took a break. I maintained 1900cals as a intake and the weight kept going up and up and up. Finally it dawned on me to look at my caloric intake. I was eating 2200 cals a day and burning something like 1000-1300 a day in exercise. Finally about 2 months ago I started to feel "normal" again.

I just started losing weight again after fighting this and trying to figure out what it was. it was starvation mode. My body was holding on to every calorie it could for dear life and storing it as fat!

You're not actually disagreeing with me here. Your body went into "starvation mode," and it gave you signs that you needed to eat more. Plenty of people can eat 900-1100 calories with no ill effects. That's why I say it's individual, and what's "starvation mode" for some people is normal for others.