Have you met Chatty Cathy?

Options
I went to the gym today, and there was a woman there who was on "my" treadmill... I mean that in the way that it's the one I usually use. She doesn't like me, because I think it was "her" treadmill before I started, but then I ended up getting there at 2:15 every day... so it was probably just before she was able to get there.

She has herself signed up for tomorrow for 2:15... which isn't really fair. The times are set up for 30 minute increments, not 15 minute increments. I'm going to be talking to someone about this. (When
I got there at 2:15, I was told that I could use any open machine as long as it wasn't on the hour or half-hour, and nobody had it signed up, so I'd write myself in for 2:30).

ANYway, since the treadmill was busy, (2 out of 3 of them, and the other one squeaks really bad if you use it) I decided to try out the pool. I planned to do laps for a while and see how I did.

I got in there and Chatty Cathy was in there. The second I stepped into the pool she said, "It's beautiful in here, isn't it?"

I said, "Yes, this is my first time in the pool."

My mistake.

From then on, she just ran her mouth, and being polite, I didn't just want to cut the conversation short and start doing laps.

I got zero cardio in today. Ughhhh. :grumble:

Guess I'll be thinking about my 10 minute trainer workout tonight....

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I went to the gym today, and there was a woman there who was on "my" treadmill... I mean that in the way that it's the one I usually use. She doesn't like me, because I think it was "her" treadmill before I started, but then I ended up getting there at 2:15 every day... so it was probably just before she was able to get there.

She has herself signed up for tomorrow for 2:15... which isn't really fair. The times are set up for 30 minute increments, not 15 minute increments. I'm going to be talking to someone about this. (When
    I got there at 2:15, I was told that I could use any open machine as long as it wasn't on the hour or half-hour, and nobody had it signed up, so I'd write myself in for 2:30).

ANYway, since the treadmill was busy, (2 out of 3 of them, and the other one squeaks really bad if you use it) I decided to try out the pool. I planned to do laps for a while and see how I did.

I got in there and Chatty Cathy was in there. The second I stepped into the pool she said, "It's beautiful in here, isn't it?"

I said, "Yes, this is my first time in the pool."

My mistake.

From then on, she just ran her mouth, and being polite, I didn't just want to cut the conversation short and start doing laps.

I got zero cardio in today. Ughhhh. :grumble:

Guess I'll be thinking about my 10 minute trainer workout tonight....
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i hear ya...:noway:

i got something similar last night...
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    depends on what time you go to the gym.. sometimes I have to stand in line and wait for a machine.. but I had a lady in the pool tell me I had to do laps her way.. and I was like I didnt know this was your pool.. I felt bad I am never usually like this but...I really didnt know why people have to tell you how to swim.. Hope you have a better day at the gym tomorrow..

sheila
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Agh, frustrating!

I don't have to fight for machines so much, but some "new girls" started coming to our gym in the mornings and now there are 4 of us fighting for 3 showers and 2 sinks. :sigh: I have to leave the gym 5 minutes earlier to get a jump on them.
  • GCDog
    GCDog Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow, I guess I will stop complaining when I think there are too many people in the gym when I'm there.

I do have a chatty cathy. Mine gets on the treadmill next to me and talks on her cell phone the entire time. As loud as I jack up my ipod, I can still hear her.

Oh and yesterday, Rico Suave with this newly applied cologne was next to me. I cut my run short because I just could not run while breathing it in.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If you do not wish to speak to me, please do not. I will not be offended if you explain you have 30 minutes inwhich to workout and would love to chat another time.

Love,

Cathy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If you do not wish to speak to me, please do not. I will not be offended if you explain you have 30 minutes inwhich to workout and would love to chat another time.

Love,

Cathy

You are so much fun! I wish I could go to a gym with you!

Seriously about the post though. I am glad I don't have to go to the gym. I might not be nice there. My true self might come out.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one thing to do...............works every time and can even get you and your BFF the last extra seat on the plane..................

start coughing! I mean loud and if you have the nerve, dont cover your mouth. People will FLEE!!!

On SW airlines I pretended to be throwing up and we got the last seat!! :laugh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've met her. She's in my yoga class - and get this - her name is Cathy!:laugh:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Hello,

Love,

Cathy

this is the funniest thing i have heard/read all day today. My gym is big enough that I don't really have this problem...but if i did I would definitely have to tell Cathy I don't have time to chat.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    depends on what time you go to the gym.. sometimes I have to stand in line and wait for a machine.. but I had a lady in the pool tell me I had to do laps her way.. and I was like I didnt know this was your pool.. I felt bad I am never usually like this but...I really didnt know why people have to tell you how to swim.. Hope you have a better day at the gym tomorrow..

sheila

I see you ticker is moving good job on the weight loss-
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options

sheila

I see you ticker is moving good job on the weight loss-

slowley but surely!!! I am so excited and today I almost didnt go to the gym... cant emagin why I even thought of not going... I am so glad I went even if it was only for an hour on the eliptical...

Sheila
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my beef is in the sauna. It is very hot ON PURPOSE. It is the polite thing to do to open and pull shut the door as quickly as is reasonable in order to preserve the heat. I will go in, and the same %^&*( will come in and swing the door open real WIDE and then let it SLOOOOwly swing shut behind. Then in about thirty seconds, the same thing, on the way out. Then in a few minutes, again, come in, SLOOOWLY opening the door, and letting it drift gently closed behind. AAAAAAARGH!

My DH had enough after the same person did it like eight times in a span of like ten minutes and went "SHUT THE G-D DOOR!!!!!!"

not too nice, i know, but DAMN it is aggravating to get in there, get your sweat going, then have a big blast of cold outside air every few minutes because people are RUDE

sigh. rant over. thanks:flowerforyou:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have a chick, who wears those little itty bitty booty shorts, and tiny little nothing tops, she jumps on the elliptical trainer beside me, about a week ago, starts signing out loud to her I-Pod. Some really bad, nasty rap stuff, the N word and all, singing it like she was singing happy birthday, Ok, that's a little annoying, so I turn mine up, start wailing Fernando by ABBA...and I get the weird wtf? look from her. I laugh, thinking, me 1 her 0, then she starts snapping her gum, LOUD, like a hundred times, I'm hoping that she'll snap it so hard, it'll choke her, no luck. I ask her nicely of course, "hey man, think you can maybe not do that?" I get the evil STF up look, that's cool, she continues. I give the " i'm gonna F*** u up look if u snap that gum again. She looks at me, takes her heaphones off, and says..."oh i'm sorry
    I didn't know you owned the gym, and could make up the gum snapping rules" so I stop my machine, shake my sweaty head in her direction and slowly and quietly, say....."If you don't stop snapping your gum, I'm going to punch you in your throat." I smile, offer her a kleenex, she looks at me, gets off the eliptical, and I haven't seen her since.
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    OMG, I have a chick, who wears those little itty bitty booty shorts, and tiny little nothing tops, she jumps on the elliptical trainer beside me, about a week ago, starts signing out loud to her I-Pod. Some really bad, nasty rap stuff, the N word and all, singing it like she was singing happy birthday, Ok, that's a little annoying, so I turn mine up, start wailing Fernando by ABBA...and I get the weird wtf? look from her. I laugh, thinking, me 1 her 0, then she starts snapping her gum, LOUD, like a hundred times, I'm hoping that she'll snap it so hard, it'll choke her, no luck. I ask her nicely of course, "hey man, think you can maybe not do that?" I get the evil STF up look, that's cool, she continues. I give the " i'm gonna F*** u up look if u snap that gum again. She looks at me, takes her heaphones off, and says..."oh i'm sorry
    I didn't know you owned the gym, and could make up the gum snapping rules" so I stop my machine, shake my sweaty head in her direction and slowly and quietly, say....."If you don't stop snapping your gum, I'm going to punch you in your throat." I smile, offer her a kleenex, she looks at me, gets off the eliptical, and I haven't seen her since.

You know, given the fuzzy little critter in your avatar pic... that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you! :bigsmile:
  • chinadolly
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wish I could say something like that, I would just get off the machine and maybe give her a dirty look. I can see you saying that, that you have been hilarious to have been a fly on the wall! You are funny girl!

You know, given the fuzzy little critter in your avatar pic... that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you! :bigsmile:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Haven't met one of them yet however there is this guy who was on the treadmill next to me yesterday who had obviously forgotten to put on deoderant before coming to the gym. Now I am not a wimp I can put up with the odd BO but this guy was running the stench was sooo bad It turned my stomach.Other people were noticing it too I had to get off and move machines how do you tell someone nicely you stink?
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I haven't had to deal with a "Chatty Cathy" at my gym yet - however, there is one type of person who drives me bonkers in the locker room...it's Mr. "Way-Too-Proud-To-Be-Naked".

You know who he is...he walks back from the shower without bothering to wrap a towel around himself and then stands there, letting it all hang out while he digs around in his locker looking for something (hopefully a pair of gitch). And don't you love it when his cellphone rings and he answers it - while still buck?

This makes me nuts (no pun intended...okay I lied - the pun was intended :laugh: )
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to deal with a "Chatty Cathy" at my gym yet - however, there is one type of person who drives me bonkers in the locker room...it's Mr. "Way-Too-Proud-To-Be-Naked".

You know who he is...he walks back from the shower without bothering to wrap a towel around himself and then stands there, letting it all hang out while he digs around in his locker looking for something (hopefully a pair of gitch). And don't you love it when his cellphone rings and he answers it - while still buck?

This makes me nuts (no pun intended...okay I lied - the pun was intended :laugh: )

lol...oh to be a fly on the wall :devil:
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    lol...oh to be a fly on the wall :devil:

That works both ways...but I'm betting it's nothing in the womens' locker room like us guys imagine...is there soft music and lots of steam? :laugh: