Coffee! :(

Options

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too. I used to use the flavored creamers, but I don't anymore. I like 2% milk with my coffee, and I usually mix half milk with half coffee to get it to taste good. I still don't drink as many a day as I used to though. After about two cups of that, it's probably time to stop.

I also found a green tea that I really like. I drink it hot and unsweetened. It gives me some of the effects of coffee (heat and caffeine) but it doesn't get my stomach up in knots the same way. It also doesn't have the calories if you don't put anything in it.

When I go to Starbucks, I get the Cafe Misto, which has significantly less calories than your frou frou drinks. It is simply coffee and milk. There are no sugars or sweeteners. The first sip is bitter, but by the third sip or so, I find that the milk is creamy and it is wonderful.

I also like to get Passion Tea, unsweetened. It is a red drink that kind of tastes fruity and flowery. It is perfect on it's own without any stuff added to it.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just made myself get used to sugar free coffee mate and stevia. I can't go without my coffee!!!
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I can fully admit that for the past 3 years I have drank so many unnecessary (and unwanted!) calories in my delicious/terribly fattening coffee. No I can't just do moderation- Drinking at least 6 cups of coffee a day loaded with vanilla creamer and sugar! Now that I am back on the wagon, I'm seriously finding this the hardest to deal with. Any former/current coffee enthusiasts have any advice? Now Ive moved on to cutting alot of the adders and well, its just disgusting. I want to be dramatic and say its ruining my life. :)
    I bit the bullet and started drinking black coffee. Now, I love it!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at dropping the additives slowly. Once you finally get to drinking it black I promise you won't want it any other way.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Don't hate the coffee, hate the cream and sugar. :flowerforyou:

I've been mixing coffee with chocolate milk lately. No cream or sugar needed.
  • snowbirdy
    snowbirdy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's my major vice too. I can give up chocolate before I give up coffee.

I get those single serving vanilla creamers and limit myself to one of those in one cup of coffee on Saturday and Sundays.
    I try to use splenda instead of sugar, but allow myself one cup on Sat/Sun with sugar.

On weekdays I drink the office coffee black with two sweet n lows - hey it's free and I get my fix at least, but it is a nastier version for sure.

My newer treat though is to actually add vanilla extract and splenda or unsweetend cocoa powder and splenda - the vanilla extract and cocoa powder really add minimal, if any, calories, but add a ton of flavor without the cream. And the cocoa powder (especially the dark) almost gives me my mocha fix.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Please don't blame coffee for the issues you're having with creamers, syrups, and sugar. Coffee is a good friend of mine and doesn't deserve this kind of attack :)
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep. I fought it for a while but finally something had to give. I went from 4 - 6 cups to3 cups to 2 cups and now I am down to one cup and LOTS of tea.

My one cup of coffee happens when I wake up. I've stopped using the oily, artificial creamers and stuck with 2tbs of my faithful half and half which equals 3 g of fat. I went from super sweet coffee to 2 packets of "In The Raw" pure cane sugar which equals 10 g of sugar. I fit it in my morning and that is that! I haven't had an issue yet as long as I drink tea through out the day, but if I am dying for a cup of coffee I would have one but stick to my portions. I haven't had those cravings yet, though! Best of luck! I know how hard it is!

^^^ This... very smart^^^^^ half n half and raw or organic sugar
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If I get starbux I always get nonfat milk, cuts alot of calories....at home 16oz coffee plus 4tsp sugar and one tbs of vanilla creamer only 95 cals and taste great (I cant stand artifical sweeteners!) soI generally have that and some oatmeal etc for breakfast, I just make sure I measure it and log it

I have to have real sugar in my coffee too!! Artifical I just can't get used to! I tried!!!
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. The one thing I can not give up is my coffee. At one point I'm pretty sure I no long had red blood, but was functioning on coffee alone. AHH! While I generally like the flavor of coffee and can drink it black, I like to put in skim milk and truvia now. Sweetens it up and no fat from the skim milk!! Also, I like to have coffee on my way to work now only (I work 1-9 so its a good boost after lunch).

If you're stuck on flavored coffee, try the sugar free versions! And try to only have coffee before 12, this way it will limit how much you're actually going to drink. Good luck!

I do the same thing! Went from almost half the cup of flavored creamer and sugar to plain creamer and aspertame-like sweeteners to now fat free half/half and Truvia! Even bring the packets to work! If I'm out I'll use sugar if I must.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Don't hate the coffee, hate the cream and sugar. :flowerforyou:

I've been mixing coffee with chocolate milk lately. No cream or sugar needed.

Hmmmmmmm, might have to try that! Thanks!!:bigsmile:
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Don't hate the coffee, hate the cream and sugar.

Totally Agree! I have learnt to REALLY LOVE coffee by discovering proper expresso. It is a thing of beauty which cannot be surpassed. :-)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored coffee now. I used to be a big creamer addict too - and I am now a coffee / 1 pk of Truvia kinda gal. I NEVER would have thought I could do it.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk? the high fructose corn syrup containing chocolate milk with mega fat and calories ? Or something else?
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    i too love the coffee..with the coffe- mate vanilla creamer. i used to just dump it in until it turned the color i wanted but now i measure 3 tbsp per my mug! it was only a slight adjustment in taste and like you not willing to give it up! i gave up doritos and icecream...but not the coffee! it has worked for me so far by working in those calories to my 6 meals. so instead of a huge breakfast i'll have my 2 mugs of coffee (6 creamers) and a special k bar. holds me over until i can snack!

Yep, I used to do the same thing, just dump it in until it was the "correct" color! Then I started measuring it & realized that I was using 8 TABLESPOONS of flavored creamer per cup! I justified it by saying that I didn't add sugar & used flavored creamer instead.

I started using less & less per cup. I cut out one Tablespoon a week so it wasn't such a shock to my taste-buds. Now I'm down to 2.5 tablespoons per cup. Happy with that!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk? the high fructose corn syrup containing chocolate milk with mega fat and calories ? Or something else?

I have no idea what you're referring to, it's just 1% chocolate milk. It's not full of "mega fat and calories." A cup is only 150 calories with 2.5g of fat....
  • missyont
    Options
    Try adding skim milk to it
  • Jessica121706
    Options
    I have a large cup i fill once or twice daily with Iced Coffee and it gives me my fix. One cup skim milk, 1 tbs creamer, ice and 1 cup coffee
  • jackie0714
    jackie0714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too love my coffee, the first cup i have with 2 tsp of creamer, (coffeemate) and maybe like 2 tsp of sugar. I drink around 5 cups a day but i never add the additions to my coffee when i top it off, i just drink what is already in there. Even if it is a darker color, almost black.
  • kearyespeer
    Options
    Stevia and Coconut milk! Go to the dairy section and there are all kinds of sugar free creamers or milk substitutes that are so much healthier and/or less calories! I cannot live without my coffee but I also can't drink it black!