For All the ladies with 6 pack abs out there....

Options
So i see a lot of stunning toned up women with gorgeous profile pictures out there, its from you that i need your help. I have finally reached my goal weight for weight loss (well, maybe a lil bit more to go), and I've been training for the past 3 weeks pretty intensely. (and not seeing much of a change).Usually doing about 30 minutes cardio, added with strength training. (doing 30ds at the moment as well)
However, I know that everyone says "6 packs are made in the kitchen"
What i was curious to know is that if i want that nice definition, and muscle tone do i have to buy all the whey powders, and protein shakes, and watch my macros and all that stuff? Low carb high protein meals? Ive done a bit of research on here but it mainly involves men building mass, which i know women cant do (not as bulky as men anyway), and there was all this stuff about doing low weights and high reps, or heavy weights with low reps, everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything.

I know it doesnt help, but I'm a bit on the poor side, i dont have a gym membership (as i live 45 minutes out of town and dont have a car), I do have a treadmill, an elliptical (not mine clearly..) 2lb weights, 5lb weghts and one 35lb dumbell and a stability ball.

Can anyone help me on the right track to getting that definition cranking? Ive tried youtube videos and stuff, id love to try insanity, but its way too expensive. (currently jobless too... sigh)

any suggestions would be great regarding diet tips/exercise anything

Thanks ladies

Replies

• Shutterpillar
    Options
    bump... I am interested in this info as well.
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have seen lots of diff websites on pinterest.com that have tons of workout ideas you can do at home. I am still working on my 6 pack and am plannin on doing ChaLean extreme again, but I'm not at my goal weight so even if I had a 6pack you couldn't see it yet. :P Anyway... I've also heard planks... and lots of them!
    Good luck!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    bump? anyone
  • njdemp
    njdemp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've heard of this, but I've been very pleased with my results from bodyrock.tv workouts - or these days the original host has branched off to her own youtube channel: ZuzkaLight (or Zuzana Light). Her older workouts are still available on the site, if you don't like the newer ones. These are HIIT, cardio/bodyweight, super intense workouts, lots of squats, lunges, burpees, and a huge variety of plank moves. They are quick, little-to-no equipment, and free!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've heard of this, but I've been very pleased with my results from bodyrock.tv workouts - or these days the original host has branched off to her own youtube channel: ZuzkaLight (or Zuzana Light). Her older workouts are still available on the site, if you don't like the newer ones. These are HIIT, cardio/bodyweight, super intense workouts, lots of squats, lunges, burpees, and a huge variety of plank moves. They are quick, little-to-no equipment, and free!

Yep! Do this and you will see results. I personally would recommend the old workouts with Zuzana and not even bother trying the new host workouts, but thats just because I disagree with the drama thats happening with them.

Anyways, they are GREAT workouts and free which makes it even better!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im going to bump this again, i didint really get a clear answer on food issues/ protein powders ect

thanks for the workout ideas guys, really helped!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    So i see a lot of stunning toned up women with gorgeous profile pictures out there, its from you that i need your help. I have finally reached my goal weight for weight loss (well, maybe a lil bit more to go), and I've been training for the past 3 weeks pretty intensely. (and not seeing much of a change).Usually doing about 30 minutes cardio, added with strength training. (doing 30ds at the moment as well)
    However, I know that everyone says "6 packs are made in the kitchen"
    What i was curious to know is that if i want that nice definition, and muscle tone do i have to buy all the whey powders, and protein shakes, and watch my macros and all that stuff? Low carb high protein meals? Ive done a bit of research on here but it mainly involves men building mass, which i know women cant do (not as bulky as men anyway), and there was all this stuff about doing low weights and high reps, or heavy weights with low reps, everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything.

I know it doesnt help, but I'm a bit on the poor side, i dont have a gym membership (as i live 45 minutes out of town and dont have a car), I do have a treadmill, an elliptical (not mine clearly..) 2lb weights, 5lb weghts and one 35lb dumbell and a stability ball.

Can anyone help me on the right track to getting that definition cranking? Ive tried youtube videos and stuff, id love to try insanity, but its way too expensive. (currently jobless too... sigh)

any suggestions would be great regarding diet tips/exercise anything

Thanks ladies
    Abs all come down to body fat %. The lower the percentage the more visible they are. So for that to happen you'd need to figure out what your lean body mass is and then shoot for 15%-18% body fat.

Here's an example: if your lean body mass was 100lbs, then you divide that by 1 minus the body fat % you want to be (say 15% so it's 1-.15= .85) you'll get the weight in pounds you need to shoot for.

So 100lbs (lean body mass) divided by .85 equals 117.64. So your goal weight would be 117.64lbs. to have 15% body fat. Now this is an estimation since you could lose more lean tissue along the way, but a pretty good one.

Try to find out what your lean body mass is first though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ditto niner. It's all about body fat percentage, which mean you'll most likely need to cut more fat (and weight). Do it slow, with a small calorie deficit and while lifting weights in order to preserve muscle. Also get adequate protein which I've read is 1gram for every pound of lean body weight. It takes a lot of time and dedication to lose those last few pounds of fat.

Additionally, it's genetics. Your body might store all the last bit of fat on your stomach. (For me, it stores it on my thighs, and I actually have a hint of abs at 25%). Due to this, you might even need to go a little lower on body fat percentage to get the abs you want. Or you could just learn to accept a flat stomach and not necessarily a "6-pack".
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have toned my tummy (still in progress) with Hip Hop Abs, and more recently the 30 day shred (every day). I can't afford the gym and do all exercise at home. I have made sure that I watch my cals strictly and if it looks like I will go over I burn it off :)

ETA, I don't have protein shakes but eat pretty cleanly and am learning more about nutrition etc.
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    I've never restricted any foods other than junk for myself. Ever. I just bust my behind. I don't have a full 6 pack, but it's pretty close. I do tons and tons of core work and 30 minutes of cardio almost every day. Even on my non strength training days, I still do some core stuff. And I didn't start working on it until September. But like everyone is saying it comes down to %body fat. I'm at 12%.

ETA: I dont do shakes, either. Those things are nasty! Blech!
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    bump
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Additionally, it's genetics. Your body might store all the last bit of fat on your stomach. (For me, it stores it on my thighs, and I actually have a hint of abs at 25%). Due to this, you might even need to go a little lower on body fat percentage to get the abs you want. Or you could just learn to accept a flat stomach and not necessarily a "6-pack".

True. Unfortunately I'm one of those who has a stubborn fat on my stomach despite being a naturally pear-shaped. My body fat % is somewhere between 20-21% & although my stomach is flat & I'm seeing a hint of abs but its still not that visible especially on pics. I also heard that having 6 pack abs is not for everyone.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    add me if you want :wink:
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    agree with niner at rae.:smile:

Its about getting that body fat low. Also i work my abb's every day for at least 20 mins. As genetics wise i dont really have much muscle down there, so i have had to add muscle and burn fat as best i can. When i lost the 6 stone i had a bit of a flat but flabby belly but have worked hard to reduce fat and add muscle.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    So - it is true it's about body fat percentage. I recently got sick and had trouble eating and was like, hello washboard, where did you come from?! I'm just not willing to dedicate myself to ZERO fats all the time to get super firm. I've become pretty happy with a relatively softer buff me.

However, I NEVER had abs in all my years as a collegiate athlete until I started doing yoga. I guess the twisting is what finally gave me the line down the middle. I also used to do Bob's minute ab challenge every other day after my work out, but I got a bit bulky so now I do it once a week. After finding these two, I've has abs I've been happy with, with the soft layer over it or not.

Here's the link for MyTrainerBob's ab challenge! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLAUkzbs734 It was SO hard at first - now it's easy!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting I was just thinking about this
  • bellajezzie
    Options
    Bump