Tilapia w/Sweet Potato Crust & Vanilla Cream Sauce

Options
I saw this recipe online and the flavors looked so interesting, I just had to try it for myself. The recipe as I read it, was not very diet friendly. So here is my healthier version of that recipe. Enjoy, I certainly did!

Broiled Tilapia with Sweet Potato Crust and Vanilla Cream Sauce
Serves 2

2 tilapia fillets (4oz)
3 vanilla wafer cookies or ½ a graham cracker, finely crumbled
½ cup cooked sweet potato, fully cooked
2 tbsp orange juice
½ tsp butter
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp light sour cream
2 tbsp water
Pinch of Creole seasoning
½ tbsp vanilla

Cook
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Combine sweet potatoes, orange juice, ginger, salt, and butter in a food processor and whir until sweet potatoes are smooth and blended.
- Place 2 tilapia fillets on a lightly greased basking sheet. Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the top of both fillets. Tilapia1.jpg
- Sprinkle fillets with the crumble cookies. Tilapia2.jpg Cover loosely with foil and broil for 4 min. Watch them closely! The fish should be cooked through and the topping, golden brown.

Cream Sauce:
- In a small sauce pan, combine sour cream, water, Creole seasoning, and vanilla. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce is thoroughly warmed and coats the back of a spoon, about 4 min. Tilapia3.jpg
- Drizzle the cream sauce over your serving plates.
- Place tilapia on cream sauce and serve with a side of steamed vegetable to balance out the meal.
Tilapia4.jpg

Nutritional Information (steamed vegetables not included)
Serving Size- 1 tilapia fillet (2oz) and sauce
Calories 179.6
Total Fat 6.1 g
Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
Protein 12.5 g
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I saw this recipe online and the flavors looked so interesting, I just had to try it for myself. The recipe as I read it, was not very diet friendly. So here is my healthier version of that recipe. Enjoy, I certainly did!

Broiled Tilapia with Sweet Potato Crust and Vanilla Cream Sauce
    Serves 2

2 tilapia fillets (4oz)
    3 vanilla wafer cookies or ½ a graham cracker, finely crumbled
    ½ cup cooked sweet potato, fully cooked
    2 tbsp orange juice
    ½ tsp butter
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground ginger
    3 tbsp light sour cream
    2 tbsp water
    Pinch of Creole seasoning
    ½ tbsp vanilla

Cook
    - Preheat your oven to broil.
    - Combine sweet potatoes, orange juice, ginger, salt, and butter in a food processor and whir until sweet potatoes are smooth and blended.
    - Place 2 tilapia fillets on a lightly greased basking sheet. Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the top of both fillets. Tilapia1.jpg
    - Sprinkle fillets with the crumble cookies. Tilapia2.jpg Cover loosely with foil and broil for 4 min. Watch them closely! The fish should be cooked through and the topping, golden brown.

Cream Sauce:
    - In a small sauce pan, combine sour cream, water, Creole seasoning, and vanilla. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce is thoroughly warmed and coats the back of a spoon, about 4 min. Tilapia3.jpg
    - Drizzle the cream sauce over your serving plates.
    - Place tilapia on cream sauce and serve with a side of steamed vegetable to balance out the meal.
    Tilapia4.jpg

Nutritional Information (steamed vegetables not included)
    Serving Size- 1 tilapia fillet (2oz) and sauce
    Calories 179.6
    Total Fat 6.1 g
    Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
    Protein 12.5 g
    :flowerforyou:
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I:flowerforyou: have been looking all over for a good tilapia recipe. Thanks so much for posting this! I cannot wait to try it!!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I loooove tilapia! thanks1
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yum yum!!! Thanks for the pics too!!! Great idea!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I made this over the weekend and it is DELICIOUS. :bigsmile:

I doubled the recipe, though, and will be changing a few things when I make it again. A little less salt and a little less ginger, possibly some more orange juice.

I'm having some for lunch today. :love: