I discovered something about myself today...

Options
Today was the first day that I've been home alone all day in a long while. I had breakfast and lunch fine, but when the afternoon came I became a snack-aholic! I eat when I'm bored, and to make it worse I haven't gone grocery shopping this week yet so all the healthy fresh food is gone. I'm so dissapointed in myself but at least I know what the problem is. Any one else have this problem? What are some fun hobbies to have so I don't give in to temptation?

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had a cup of tea (no sugar) then went to work for a while in the yard. Urge to eat gone. Finished a mystery and started a new book. Logged in and check for support.
  • wantmorepies
    Options
    For me, the key to succeeding in this is planning and making sure you have at least the next day's meals planned and the food in for it, it takes the whole 'what to have' dilemma out of it and you're less likely to snack.
    There will be days like that but the next day is a blank page ready for you to succeed :o)
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you. Tomorrow I'm getting out of the house! lol
  • nancy5012
    Options
    Angry Birds,suduko, knitting
  • johnnieb
    johnnieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I'm really up for battling the urge to snack (which isn't always) when I start to look around for something to munch I try to stop and think about how I feel- am I really hungry, or just bored? Then I drink more water and remind myself, I am not actually hungry, no need to eat. Usually works. It's a daily battle. Esp. this winter while my kiddo is at school and it's too cold to go out and walk or pull weeds or something!
    Good Luck!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I am home alone and bored, I play the Sims 3. Very addicting though. It definitely keeps me from snacking.
  • Angela_thinner
    Options
    I pull out the clothes that I want to get back into. I try on the items to see how close I am getting....it keeps me focused and makes "snacking" unappealing. An evening alone...a nice hot bubble bath...hard to eat in the tub :-)
  • ConnieM20
    Options
    I pull out the clothes that I want to get back into. I try on the items to see how close I am getting....it keeps me focused and makes "snacking" unappealing. An evening alone...a nice hot bubble bath...hard to eat in the tub :-)

The pants idea is great! I'm so going to try it
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    An evening alone...a nice hot bubble bath...hard to eat in the tub :-)

Here's an extreme solution: Make a deal with yourself that you can snack on anything and everything you want to eat, but you MUST do it naked in front of a mirror and watch yourself eat it! Sure cure for the munchies!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have hobbies like crocheting, cross stitching, embroidery, you can't snack with those things, unless you want stains all over your projects. I also do word puzzles, draw, and sew. Basically I keep my hands busy and my mind on something other than food.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have hobbies like crocheting, cross stitching, embroidery, you can't snack with those things, unless you want stains all over your projects. I also do word puzzles, draw, and sew. Basically I keep my hands busy and my mind on something other than food.

Dr Phil's books on weight loss state this same thing. Replace old habits with new and do something contrary to eating, clean a closet, go for a walk, scrub the toilet, or as you stated a craft project. Better yet MFP & read success stories to keey you motivated
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm all about tea with stevia. Also, if I'm super snacky, I air-pop some popcorn and measure out however much I want to calorically allow myself. After that...this is lame...if I really want to eat from boredom, I just try and go to sleep! It works!
  • Joha0731
    Joha0731 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    when i feel like i have the munchies i drink water, and i look at this picture that i have of myself in the fridge to remind myself that, thats how i want to look again.... and i try to to clean, watch movies, or just go for a walk no matter how cold it is lol.... i feel your pain, im a stay home mom ans my kid just started a preschool and im like what the hell do i do with myself and eating is the #1 thing that come naturally... hope that tmrw youll be able to do better. :smile:
  • ConnieM20
    Options
    thank you everyone for your tips and advice, i really appreciate it! :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i was eating in front of the tv all the time .. so i got rid of the tv in the livingroom and all the bedrooms and kept one tv in a livingroom that i turned into a gym.. and i found the busier i am the less inclined i am to want to snack on crap.. so im so darned busy in my life i have no time to think of getting in to trouble. i volunteer for a local homeless shelter for teen runaways alot and am on their board of directors now.. and im extremely active in political campaigns .. plus i work a lot .. im always doing something in order to keep from sitting around and getting tempted to eat .. the gym is always a 2 hour or more ordeal..hard to get there but once im there its hard for me to leave lol ..
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I am home alone and bored, I play the Sims 3. Very addicting though. It definitely keeps me from snacking.
    oh me too!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to be hungry or want to snack, I troll my Tumblr which is loaded with health and fitness inspiration pics... or I watch Biggest Loser.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I keep bags of sugar free hard candies. I have crystal light fruit flavors and Baskin Robins cookies and creme and mint chocolate chip. It gives me some flavor to take my mind off of cravings and it's only 5-10 calories.