Weight Training?

Options
Was wondering how do you know how many calories do you burn doing weights? And how do you Know? Thanks:happy:

Replies

• Jewls23
    Jewls23 Posts: 6
    Options
    Was wondering how do you know how many calories do you burn doing weights? And how do you Know? Thanks:happy:
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The only way to know exactly is to invest in a heart rate monitor!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    The BEST and most ACCURATE way to know that is with a heart rate monitor.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I know from my HRM- but that only tracks during my workouts-
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    From what I can gather, you burn about 100 calories per half hour of weight training. Of course, that number will be more or less depending on your body and how hard you're working, but it's probably a decent ball park number. But the biggest benefit is that weight training has been shown to boost your metabolism for up to 36 hours after you finish. 36 hours!!
  • Jewls23
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Does anyone know how much a heart rate monitor is??
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Does anyone know how much a heart rate monitor is??

Some cheaper ones run about 30 to 40$ but i'm not sure if they calculate calories burned. Some folks on here have bought them and have been happy with these models while others haven't. Type in HRM in MFP and you will get a TON of advice on different models. THe popular one here is the Polar f4,F6, and F11 series starting at 80$ up to 110$. I'll tell ya though-most people would agree- an EXCELLENT investment!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Reebok HRM for $29.99 from Buy.com, no tax, free shipping. It gives you all the info you need: Heartrate, Calories burned, fat burned, % of max heartrate, etc.. all of the goodies you find on expensive models at a fraction of the price. It comes with a chest strap and watch. It even transmits to the machines at the gym, showing my heartrate. Pretty cool. Just buy the one that meets your needs. I think Polar HRMs are great, just a bit pricey.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    i got my polar f4 at target for 89.00--

I wear mine during my cardio and weight training sessions so I just have a total #-
  • Jewls23
    Options
    thank you everyone! i think i might get one thanks!