Lifters: Squat Rack vs Smith Machine

Options
Which is better? I was at the gym today and asked one of the staff to spot me on squats in the squat rack because I hadn't done them in a while and I was rusty (I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the barbell squats disappear after stage 1 and don't come back until stage 7). He watched my form, made a couple of corrections and then he threw all his credibility out the window: he suggested the Smith machine instead.

I couldn't tell if he just didn't think I could handle the squat rack or what, but everything I've read advises against the Smith machine - here's a collections of reasons in one spot: http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/. But what if what I'm reading is wrong?

So, I thought I'd put it out to the collective minds of MFP and ask the opinion of those who've been lifting longer than I have.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Free weights for squats are defiantly better, but the smith machine does have its uses. It can help you perfect your form due to the stability free weights do not offer. Also, you can go heavier on a smith machine since you do not need to concentrate on keeping the bar stationary on your back.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Its common practice of trainers to put people on the safest machine. "oh you are doing curls, try the curl machine" Its a liability issue mostly. The smith is effective IF IF IF you already have your form nailed down. I don't touch it though.