Late night eating. . . where did this habit come from?!

Options
SOOOO. . .The past few weeks I have been waking up at 12-3 am and making a sandwich or a bowl of cereal (i've never had this problem). I don't know how this started or why but it needs to stop. When I am that tired I just this mindlessly. Has this happened to anyone else and any tricks on how to make it stop?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes, but if I don't end up over my calorie goal I don't worry about it. If being tired is the key it sounds like getting more rest might be the answer. Or maybe eat a filling snack before bed, if it doesn't mess with your digestion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes, but if I don't end up over my calorie goal I don't worry about it. If being tired is the key it sounds like getting more rest might be the answer. Or maybe eat a filling snack before bed, if it doesn't mess with your digestion.
    This. If you have calories to spare, it doesn't matter when in the day you eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above replies op: are you taking any sleep related meds?
  • megansoriano
    Options

I have been taking ambien for about a year. . .I have been trying to cut back because I realized my body was addicted. So I have not been sleeping all night for the past month. I didn't think to link the two but it sounds like that could have a lot to do with it.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ambien has tons of stories of night eating. Some sleep eating. Great question by above poster! Google it. It's an epidemic.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I have been taking ambien for about a year. . .I have been trying to cut back because I realized my body was addicted. So I have not been sleeping all night for the past month. I didn't think to link the two but it sounds like that could have a lot to do with it.

It is a KNOWN side effect of Ambien I believe. Google it, then consider alternatives.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a small bowl of trail mix (almonds, craisins, soy nuts, shelled sunflower seeds all unsalted/seasoned) by the bed just in case I get hungry. A hand full of those is much better than a whole sandwich or bowl of cereal or even left over dinner. I also make sure I have a full glass of water by the bed….If you don’t ever go into the kitchen, then you wont be tempted by the stuff that is in there.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

It is a KNOWN side effect of Ambien I believe. Google it, then consider alternatives.

You could try using Melatonin. It helps me a lot when I am unable to get to sleep. Its not a sleeping pill, it just helps relax your mind so its not going 90 to nothing! Its natural…not a medication so you can get it OTC.
  • megansoriano
    Options

You could try using Melatonin. It helps me a lot when I am unable to get to sleep. Its not a sleeping pill, it just helps relax your mind so its not going 90 to nothing! Its natural…not a medication so you can get it OTC.

I hate to say it but nothing works except ambien. I tried everything before and eventually that's when I went to the doctor and he gave me ambien. Its the only thing that helps me to sleep all night. My mind is so active that I can not rest and I have trouble falling and staying asleep. I've tried warm milk, pills, tea, music. . . It also does not help that I have a very vocal cat that lets me know when he is hungry every hour on the hour. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    You could eat the cat.

Be sure to log the calories.

Actually don't, you'll go catabolic.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    You could eat the cat.

Be sure to log the calories.

Actually don't, you'll go catabolic.

well I accidentally Googled cat nutrition . . . then dead cats appeared in the images. I might cry. . . . lol