Little Question about exercise

Options
Hey all, got a few little questions which would be great if someone more knowledgeable than me could clear up for me! I'm right at the start of my weight loss, and have over 100 pounds to lose, but am only 5'2, so am worried about loose skin. At the moment my exercise is mainly cardio, via dvd's or the wii 6 times a week, which I'm really enjoying, but we also have a weights bench in the house which doesn't get touched.

Basic question, I'm wondering if I should be doing some light weights as well, to help with toning up...or is this even necessary this close to the start? If and when, and also how much weights should I be doing?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    weights are always a great idea....muscle mass actually burns more calories and a regular strength training routine can help build bone density making you less at risk for osteoporosis later on in life. As for your question about extra skin...i think as long as you keep toning as you lose you should be ok.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    One of the basics of exercise and weight loss is that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn doing nothing. That being said, you should start lifting weights immediately. However, don't do too little weight. You should concentrate around 8-12 reps and the weight should be tough to lift around rep 10-12. If you're not struggling at rep 12, the weight is too light, if you're struggling to get to rep 8, its too heavy.

I suggest going to www.bodybuilding.com (its not just for body builders) and they have a lot of resources for women. There is also a book a lot of women on here are touting: The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Skyzeternalblue
    Skyzeternalblue Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Basic question, I'm wondering if I should be doing some light weights as well, to help with toning up...or is this even necessary this close to the start? If and when, and also how much weights should I be doing?

Absolutely!!! Cardio burns RIGHT NOW, strength training burns while you watch TV. Don't kill yourself with really heavy weights. Start with three sets of 10, 3~5lbs. Bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulders... etc. Lunges and squats for the legs.
    Have fun with it!
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The first poster gave a good answer. Light weights develop muscle and muscle burns calories more effectively than fat does. I'd also add that losing weight too quickly is what tends to end up with excess loose skin. If you lose the weight slowly it will give the skin time to tone up at a similar pace to the fat loss. An average of a pound a week is a sensible loss rate. It gives time for healthier foods habits to be reinforced meaning you are less likely to put weight back on.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Light weights develop muscle and muscle burns calories more effectively than fat does.

HEAVY weights! light weights are ineffective.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Light weights develop muscle and muscle burns calories more effectively than fat does.

HEAVY weights! light weights are ineffective.

I wouldn't say totally ineffective, because anything is better than nothing. But yes, heavier the better.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your replies, Ill have a look at the website, and dust off the weights I think :D
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    5x5
    Starting strength
    new rules

these are all good places to start when looking into a lifting routine.