Talk me through protein shakes

Options
Hi all,

I have some questions about protein shakes that im hoping some of you lovely MFPers will be able to help me with..:happy:

I keep reading about people drinking PS but i dont know why anybody would drink one :embarassed: what do they do?

Are PS only for people that work out lots, like hours and hours in the gym?

Im down to my last 13lbs to loose now and im only using excercise dvd's at home, 30 day shred etc.., im on 1300 cals but im guessing when i hit target weight i'll have to up that as i wont want to loose anymore.

How will PS bennefit me?
Is there a certain time you have to drink them?
Are they high in calories?

And lastly which ones should i go for, im in the uk so if anyone knows of a good brand over here please let me know:happy:

Thanks for reading:happy:

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you're working out and want to build muscle or just "firm up", your body needs the building blocks to do it:protein. Generally, the fitness community advocates consuming more protein than what is considered an adequate amount by the medical community. Most bodybuilders I know strive for 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. For me, it is hard to obtain that amount on a calorie restricted diet because It requires just about every meal to revolve around a sizable piece of meat. Protein supplements make it easier to achieve my daily protein goal (~200 grams) without adding too many calories. They are also convenient, as they do not require refrigeration. The ones I drink have around 130-140 calories and provide around 24 grams of protein, for about .60 per serving. One thing I do with my vanilla flavored mix is use it as a substitute for milk in my cold breakfast cereal. For roughly the same calories as a glass of milk, I get triple the protein.

I know they sell Optimum Nutrition gold standard protein on Amazon, which is a reputable brand. You might want to see if they sell it in the UK. Protein mixes vary widely in taste, some taste pretty bad IMO, so I recommend buying small containers until you find the flavor you like.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes as a quick easy way to get something in my stomach when I don't have time energy or desire to make something healthy. Usually I have a smoothie with a scoop of protein before I leave for work in the morning. I also use them when I am on the run. It's better Than fast food and keeps me full!
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    Just to say I also have never even considered them until seeing them in so many people's diaries on here. V. interested to see responses, especially which ones are available in the UK that don't taste grim, plus other ways to use them in food except shakes?
  • smiverz
    smiverz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just to say I also have never even considered them until seeing them in so many people's diaries on here. V. interested to see responses, especially which ones are available in the UK that don't taste grim, plus other ways to use them in food except shakes?

get your self to holland and barratt and buy precision engineered whey protein banana flavour. The taste is amazing and there is 18g of protein in each shake and 80 calories. a tub should last u at least a month
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    I was with you until 'banana flavour'! Yech. :tongue:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i had been wondering the same things lately. do i need them? what kind? what do i mix the with? etc....
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was with you until 'banana flavour'! Yech. :tongue:

Yeah, me too ... I'm more of a chocolate and peanut man myself.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    some people drink them because they think the more protein they get the slimmer they will. facts are we should only be getting 10-35% of our calories from protein a day. meat eaters typically already get plenty, any addition through a protein shake is pointless. If you are extremely active, a marathoner or body builder then more protein can and will benefit you. but even then, you dont need tons. I am a vegetarian and I bodybuild, so i intake a whey isolate drink directly after my workout. I dont intake it any other time.

there are different types of protein powders, yes some have very high calories, some are high in sugars and carbs. There are whey proteins which is milk derived. there are casein and isolate. casein is more slow release and isolate is fast. there are soy and pea proteins too.

protein intake has been shown to satiate hunger. but again, the more doesnt mean the better. also a protein drink is no substitute for actual food.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    some people drink them because they think the more protein they get the slimmer they will. facts are we should only be getting 10-35% of our calories from protein a day. meat eaters typically already get plenty, any addition through a protein shake is pointless. If you are extremely active, a marathoner or body builder then more protein can and will benefit you. but even then, you dont need tons. I am a vegetarian and I bodybuild, so i intake a whey isolate drink directly after my workout. I dont intake it any other time.

there are different types of protein powders, yes some have very high calories, some are high in sugars and carbs. There are whey proteins which is milk derived. there are casein and isolate. casein is more slow release and isolate is fast. there are soy and pea proteins too.

protein intake has been shown to satiate hunger. but again, the more doesnt mean the better. also a protein drink is no substitute for actual food.

I sometimes drink the chocolate ones with banana and a scoop of peanut butter because I #1. Like the taste; #2 Have one of those mini-blenders that doubles as a cup; #3. Sometimes am just lazy (... heck, how hard is it to scoop, blend and go); #4. I want to skip chewing, but not ingesting relatively healthy substitutes.