anyone else have a skinny sister?

Options

Replies

• Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My sister isn't by anymeans a stick but she looks great and drops weight really quickly when she tries. I used to wear her clothes when i was 12 and she was 17!! She is still a lot thinner than I am and I can't wait to look as good as her or even better cause that has never ever happened! We also don't look anything a like she's got beautiful olive skin, dark hair, and dark eyes... I'm completely opposite with light brown/reddish hair, fair skinned with freckles, and blue eyes! Nobody believes us when we tell them we're related!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    YES! My sister has ALWAYS been skinny, and me ALWAYS chubby. She's six years onlder than me... I can remember in HS, she used to MAKE me go running with her. I would cry that I was tired but she kept making me go..... wouldn't let me walk :grumble: Dang sisters...... :laugh: :laugh: I love her to death though.... She was just worried about my weight........ :devil:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Me too! :grumble:
    My older sister has always been much thinner than I. I'm taller, my shoe size is bigger.
    It stinks.
    :sad:
    But she never had children & is a little spoiled. I like to think I'm not as shallow...
    :bigsmile:
    Not much consolation, but some.
    :bigsmile:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    my sister is 3 1/2 years younger, as tall as me, wears XS clothes cos S won't fit and never been over 130 lbs in her life regardless of lifestyle... so 130 is my goal weight that i'm nowhere close to... even after i reach it, i will still be the fat sister :cry:

while it's not fair of Nature to make us so different, i don't feel jealous or angry and i know it has been my own fault that i let myself grow so fat through the years

the good news is i am in control and i am really working on it and going to look good, even if it's in a different way than sis... beauty has so many shapes :smile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was the skinny sister... My sister put on weight easily, and my mother had been very overweight or obese since I was born. My mother often tried to control my sister's eating instead of her own, and sometimes did so with mean jokes. I'll admit, I participated, too. ...

When I was about 16 and I quit organized sports as my sister, 14, became more involved in them, I got my comeuppance. When she wore smaller clothes than I did, she let me know it day and night.

That reversal of relative weights was only temporary, however. By the time I turned 20 I was back to approximately where I am now. And she was yo-yo-ing and having trouble losing or maintaining.

There definitely is a genetic component to weight... But I think it affects height more directly. I'm 5'5", whereas my sister is barely 5'0". She can't expect to be able to eat as much as I do and look as fit. That's just not the way it works, unfortunately for the shorter among us.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My sister is almost 10 years older than me, growing up she had so many boyfriends and was so popular. She would always tell me you could be so pretty if you werent so fat...well it took over 30 years but she is really heavy now. She even had lap band surgery done and she still cant stick to a diet. Its not funny but you know what they say what goes around comes around....that was mean wasnt it...:blushing:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm the oldest by many years (I'm 26, my siblings are 11, 5, and 1.5 yrs old - so they don't have any weight issues yet).

But I do have tall, skinny parents. I'm 5'6" and about 190ish, my mom is 5' 9" and 140 and my dad is 5'10" and 165lbs. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was adopted. LOL. My grandparents were chunky, so it's obvious the fat gene skipped a generation... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    My sister is almost 10 years older than me, growing up she had so many boyfriends and was so popular. She would always tell me you could be so pretty if you werent so fat...well it took over 30 years but she is really heavy now. She even had lap band surgery done and she still cant stick to a diet. Its not funny but you know what they say what goes around comes around....that was mean wasnt it...:blushing:

My best friend growing up was EXACTLY the same way. She was always a size 0 and I was a size 18... all the guys went for her. Since then, she's had two kids and is now easily a size 18 or 20. I really hope she gets her health on track, but I can't help but feel a little 'what goes around, comes around'. :)
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    I am an only child but my mom and my aunts and pretty much everyone have always been skinny and I have always been overweight(well since middle school anyways), well, when I finally reach my goal I will be smaller than my mom at least, I am pretty sure that I will be smaller than my aunt, who is only 8 years and 1 day older than me, her and my mom are 16 years apart in age.
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny mom... she'll be 49 this year.. and is a size 2! She just started working out last year.. I encouraged her to.. because she was skinny, but out of shape... probably a 4 when she was "fat" as she would say. :grumble: Now she's toned and skinny... and I look at her and think.. wow... my mom looks good. she's about 5' 2".
    Both of my older brothers don't work out... and are skinny as can be... sometimes we joke around that we should have swapped frame sizes.. the one is 28, with a six pack... sits at a computer most of the time! it runs in my family.. but not so much with me.

I'm 5'9" and 157.. not doing bad.. but a couple years ago I was getting tubby from no exercise and poor eating habits. I don't have to be rigid with myself.. but I do have to watch. I cashed in a little on the gene pool.. but would love to have it like my mom, or even my brothers.. lol. I'll keep my curves though.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My youngest sister is skinny and tall. I don't mind my height so much (I was always the short one in my family) but I'll be so glad when I also get to be called skinny by my other sisters (I have three).
  • kareeg
    kareeg Posts: 2
    Options
    I have 3 sisters and 3 sister in laws, and everyone of them is SKINNY! it makes me sick somedays.
    My sister in laws all are about 5" 5' and taller and are very skinny. One of them is due to have her 2nd baby in less then 2 years and did not gain anything but a belly. :devil:
    I have been working my butt of in the gym for the past 6 weeks, working out 6 days a week and have not lost a pound. I am getting very frustraed.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't have any sisters, but I have a skinny mom! Well not exactly skinny, but she weighs about 30lbs less than I do! Like you, I will be her weight, or less when I reach my goal. I totally understand where you're coming from. Its no fun to shop with a mom who can wear the cute clothes in the juniors section when you can't!
    Same here, my mom was always skinier than me. I can't wait to be skinier then my mom. I can do it.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I have three older brothers-- all over 6 feet tall-- one of 'em pushing 400 pounds, another pushing 300 and the third 250 range--

I am the skinny sister-- nothing to be proud of in my family-- :noway:
  • megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My sister is about 11 years older than me and has always been super skinny. I think right now she's at her heaviest and is maybe 115 lbs. She's about 5'2". She got her dad's genes, I got our mom's genes. Our mom is obese (she's doing weight watchers though and is down about 25 lbs! I'm so proud of her). I struggle to keep my weight in check but my sister doesn't have to. She burns everything she eats (or drinks). She's a big fan of wine and beer, and sometimes I get so frustrated that she stays so skinny when if I drink alcohol I automatically gain it seems. Oh well, I'm proud of myself for what I've done, and at 125.5 lbs I think I'm doing okay.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have one of those and she'll still be smaller after I reach my goal weight. But she's also 2 inches shorter, hehe.
  • beetlebug2001
    Options
    I guess I have the worst of all worlds. My sister is skinny mini, no matter what she eats or drinks. I have always envied her for that. My Mom is also thin as are my 2 brothers. Guess I got the genes from my Dad's side of the family, my Dad's weight has always been up and down, just like me. I am determined to get this weight off once and for all. No more excuses. It is all about ME!!!!! Good luck to all and hang in there, we may have got the fat genes but we have a lot of other wonderful genes.
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My sister is 4 years younger and it does seem unfair. She has her babies and comes home from the hospital in her skinny jeans. I had my son five months ago and still find myself wearing maternity shirts. I feel you but my thing is my sister is skinny, all three of my sister in laws are skinny, my mom and my mother in law. So when we are all together I really feel like I don't fit in. But I will in time.

181673.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Well, my dad's 6'8" and over 300 lbs, so I've pretty much reconciled myself to the fact that I'm never going to be a size two. :grumble: :ohwell: I definitely think there's a genetic component to weight. My sister, who's 26, is about five inches shorter and 30 lbs. heavier than me, though. We used to weigh about the same, but now I'm the "skinny one".
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 66
    Options
    oh growing up i was the skinny dying one and my sister is the round chubby cute thing. I was forced to eat alot of herbal health things to keep me alive and gain weight. However it looks like the effect only just started to show around end of high school *laughs* and my sister, like a bean stalk growing up, used all the nutrient in her chubby little body and now a hot chick every guy desires. XD We are only 3 years apart, i'm 24 and she'll be 21 this year, but i am proud of her and she's my target and inspiration. Having said that, she likes to insult me to motivate me to slim down(but she's my health dictionary too!). I guess siblings will always have that sibling fight XD
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!