Please Help... eating breakfast 2 times!

Options
I know this should be common sense, but would love to hear some suggestions. I am running at 5:30am 2-3 times per week. I HAVE to eat something sustaining before I run/excercise. So, a english muffin w/egg or small bowl of cereal. And, that's fine. However, when I get back home I am starving and now it's 7am..and I am eating a 2nd breakfast. uGH. I am not burning that many calories running (about 200) as I am so new at it. Any ideas on what I can have for that 2nd breakfast? Or how I can change the 1st bfast?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Try less carbs and more protein; it should keep you full for longer :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe split up your breakfast........eat just the english muffin (you could put PB on it) before running and then eat an egg (or 2) after running.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    how about a protein shake when you first wake up before your run and then still eat your reg breakfast? i work out with weights 3 days a week and that is what i do on those days :)
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was struggling to get enough carolies in my breakfast to sustain me until lunch, so I started having 2 breakfasts. The first is at about 6:30 before cycling into work and doing a 45 minute bootcamp. By about 9:30 I am hungry again. Currently for number 1 I have porridge with soymilk, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate seeds (and sometimes also a banana) - this gives me enough energy to get through my cycle and morning workout. For the second, I am having rice puff cereal with more nuts, bluberries and soymilk, but I think I need more protein in the second, so probably shifted to 2 hard boiled eggs and an orange. Another option is a protein shake for number 2. But yes, more protein. I think it's ok to split it into 2 if you are up early and exercising.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i really don't see the big deal of having 2 breakfasts. just call the 2nd one a "morning snack" if that will make you feel better. LOL
    as long as you aren't going over your calorie goal for the day, break up your food into however many times you need to eat based on your exercise routine. sounds like you are listening to your body and doing what you need to fuel it. i usually think carbs + a little protein before work-out and then big protein after. :smile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do two breakfasts too. One before I run/crossfit and one after. I agree with the more protein less carbs comment. That works better for me, I don't feel like I'm crashing right before second breakfast. First breakfast is usually an egg and some berries or almond butter. Second breakfast is two eggs and some other meat, like chicken or a veggie like butternut squash. Sometimes it's just more eggs, (3!) and fruit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to eat something sustaining before I run/excercise.

Have you attempted to run completely fasted to see how it feels?
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I laughed because I am going through this myself. At first I was having two really big breakfast meals but now I have regular breakfast (eggs and some form of protein) and then I have a fruit and water in an hour or two if im hungry.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I go for an apple before and cereal/banana after :)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could make do with just a low-fat yogurt for one of your breakfasts? I, too, usually have "two" breakfasts -- one when I get up and one three hours later when I arrive at work. But I keep them both very small so that together they total about 300 calories.
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    Do you think you could make do with just a low-fat yogurt for one of your breakfasts? I, too, usually have "two" breakfasts -- one when I get up and one three hours later when I arrive at work. But I keep them both very small so that together they total about 300 calories.

i was going to suggest this as well. i'm up early and should have about 450 cals for breakfast but like to split up...breakfast at 5ish then again at 7am, them m snack about 10
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As long as the food is logged and forms part of your daily allowance, no problem. I'd have a banana and small glass of orange juice (100mm) before running, then a poached egg on one piece of toast after - just think of it as splitting your breakfast in two... simple...
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know this should be common sense, but would love to hear some suggestions. I am running at 5:30am 2-3 times per week. I HAVE to eat something sustaining before I run/excercise. So, a english muffin w/egg or small bowl of cereal. And, that's fine. However, when I get back home I am starving and now it's 7am..and I am eating a 2nd breakfast. uGH. I am not burning that many calories running (about 200) as I am so new at it. Any ideas on what I can have for that 2nd breakfast? Or how I can change the 1st bfast?

Hey, maybe two breakfasts is something that works for you... no prob! I have two breakfasts every day. I prefer to eat more calories earlier in the day to fuel me through the day. I have a later lunch, and I have to limit my intake of cals during the evening. It wouldn't work for everyone, but I love it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How long are you running? All you really need is fuel for the run. A banana?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    2 breakfasts, that's my specialty, think proteins. . . nuts, eggs, bacon, a low cal bar, Kefir (it's like yogurt, good stuff) things like that. Greek yogurt, a banana
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    i always thought running on an empty stomach wud act as a blowtorch to the fat reserves & then wen u get in have a really good breakfast - protein shake, porridge, egg whites.

good luck, hope u suss it out.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do you like oatmeal? Eat oatmeal before you run with a fruit an then have you a protein shake or 2 boiled eggs after.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I just made the following: 1/2 cup southwestern egg beaters with 1/2 Tbls. bacon bits cooked and then topped off with 2 tbls chunky salsa and 1/2 small avacado = 137 calories and its filling.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    During the week I have two breakfasts and don't even exercise between them. I have oatmeal and nuts when I first get to work as I go through all my emails (about 6:30) and then around 9:30 or 10 I'm always hungry so I have a greek yogurt.

My calories are still always fine for the day though.

On the weekend I don't need so much since I'm not awake as early and don't eat until 8 or so.