running

Options
I have just started running. I didnt think I could do it, but I ran 3 miles without stopping my first time out. I have increased to 4 miles. This morning I didnt measure, but it all seemed easier. My endurance is increasing.

I was watching the Biggest Loser and Jillian said that if you want to lose weight, running is the best thing you can do.

How true is this... I am hoping that i am getting a whole body work out. What kind of changes can I expect in my body if I continue to run 4 times a week?

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I have just started running. I didnt think I could do it, but I ran 3 miles without stopping my first time out. I have increased to 4 miles. This morning I didnt measure, but it all seemed easier. My endurance is increasing.

I was watching the Biggest Loser and Jillian said that if you want to lose weight, running is the best thing you can do.

How true is this... I am hoping that i am getting a whole body work out. What kind of changes can I expect in my body if I continue to run 4 times a week?
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Aside from general exercise changes like lower body fat you can probably expect tighter glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves.

While that's a good thing (since we all want a beach butt!) gotta be sure you're stretching out after, otherwise you risk injury in training.

You'll likely continue to find daily stuff easier to do, since your aerobic fitness will increase, so things like running for a bus or up stairs and so on will be a doddle!

You might want to do some light calisthenics or wieghts on the upper body as running really doesn't target these muscle group at all. Some shoulder raises, flyes, rotator cuffs and bi/tricep work will see you in good shape.

Running alone isn't, in my experience the best way to get "cut" in the sports sense, but UK research from Manchester University showed running coupled with some weight training can yield better results than running alone.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to assist and say that "Starchaser" and I have similar experiences. I started running in 2005 and it sped up my metabolism, but I was compelled to start weight training in order to get a toned look. I like running. After a bit of that (like a couple of weeks) you will notice that you can get a runners high that makes the activity particularly addictive.

Recently, (1 month a go) my GP convinced me that I needed to do other cardio because as a woman, certain parts of my anatomy were going to hit the floor due to gravity.:cry: I immediately switched to the front leaning stationary bike. It is horribly boring. But I have lost 2" off me bum since. :wink:

I think that it's marvelous that you are running. It's hard and rewarding work. Well done you!:flowerforyou:
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the running!!! It's hard work, but you will see the results...it's almost like a whole body transformation without the surgery.LOL Before kids I ran 1/2 marathons and lost 77lbs in 8 months. It really is rewarding. Remember to wear sunscreen, proper running shoes, and drink plenty of water.
    You will also need to add strength training, this is very important. Please watch how fast you add miles because you can hurt yourself, running does add strain to your musles and joints, but proper stretching can help with this. Before and after every run stretch, stretch, strech and get plenty of rest. Oh, and did I mention your metabolism will speed up, that's the great thing about running consistantly and the cardio benefits for your heart, etc. etc. I can go on, but I hope this helps. 1 more thing listen and take care of your body while running.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

Recently, (1 month a go) my GP convinced me that I needed to do other cardio because as a woman, certain parts of my anatomy were going to hit the floor due to gravity.:cry:

This is why, even though I'm only a C cup, I wear 2 sports bras...I don't want those puppies heading south just because I love to run!!! Gravity - how unfair!
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Recently, (1 month a go) my GP convinced me that I needed to do other cardio because as a woman, certain parts of my anatomy were going to hit the floor due to gravity.:cry:

This is why, even though I'm only a C cup, I wear 2 sports bras...I don't want those puppies heading south just because I love to run!!! Gravity - how unfair!

I feel your pain...I know, I know...but what my G.P. told me, immediately made me change my habits...I am lying..I still run 10 miles one day a week...the other 4-5 days of work out I get on that bike:yawn: .
    Maybe running is an addition?????? Any one know?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 sports bras as well.
    My ta-tas don't move at all!