jogging and joint stress

Options
I know I posted a similar topic yesterday, but does anyone know if there is an exercise I can do that burns about the same number of calories as a brisk walk/ jog @ about 5 mph, but puts less stress on my leg joints. Maybe something I can do for every other day that I jog. Thank you.

Replies

• EBurnham
    EBurnham Posts: 31
    Options
    I know I posted a similar topic yesterday, but does anyone know if there is an exercise I can do that burns about the same number of calories as a brisk walk/ jog @ about 5 mph, but puts less stress on my leg joints. Maybe something I can do for every other day that I jog. Thank you.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    The stress as far as I'm lead to believe comes from pounding the ground.
    Try an elliptical strider or a stationary bike?

Come to think of, why not take a bike out instead of walking?
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have always had problems with my knees and legs in general and am unable to run long distances. By long 1 mile and I am dying. The elliptical has the same type of effect. What I have done is use the bike quite a bit and push myself much harder than I would running maintaing about 85 rpm. Lately I have been using the stairmaster for about 25-30 minutes. This is very seldom as it is also hard on ly legs.

I am learning that doing weight training on my legs has also somewhat helped me to sustain activity running.

I hope this helps.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just a note: I was told by my G.P. that all of that pounding can be hard on a woman's body and can make certain parts of your body drop....if you get what you mean:wink: . I still wish to run or jog, but you might want to take that into consideration.

I just want to mention that Joint Juice does seem to help with those types of pains. However, I think that that stuff can create restless leg syndrome too. Does anyone else have that experience?

I have had a religious conversion when I lost 2" on my hips after switching to the bike a month ago. That bike is boring to me...:yawn: but it's working!
  • EBurnham
    EBurnham Posts: 31
    Options
    That's all great advice, hopefully I'll be able to afford a bike or some other sort of machine soon. Heck, even a regular bike would be nice.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I know. I think that it's cheaper to join a YMCA to use their equipment. But I know that not everyone has one around or has the time. I wish you loads of luck and happiness!