Help with eating in "moderation"

Options
2»

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a theory about this.

If I am hungry, and I reach for junk food, I will not eat one serving size. When I am hungry, I need to eat healthy food FIRST, and then junk food only for treats or dessert.

I think the reason we eat more calories of junk food, is because there is little to no nutritional value in it. Whatever vitamins and minerals your body is craving, it probably isn't finding in a bag of Cheetos.

Personally, I don't find it hard to just have one or two bites of junk food, if I've already met my nutritional goals. If I have had some fiber, some protein, enough water, etc, I probably won't binge on anything. I can have a few bites and be happy. However, if I haven't been getting a balance diet, that's when the crazy hungry monster comes out and eats everything in it's path.

So, when I want to have cheese fries at a restaurant, I try to order a side salad to eat before I start noshing on the grease pile. That way, I can say I had some sort of vegetable that day.

If you find that you have an all or nothing attitude about junk food, there is no harm in avoiding it. Just don't expect any one type of food to take care of you, and try to keep your diet balanced.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I don't go for the less healthy stuff by itself. If I want some Cheetos, I portion it out and eat it as part of a larger meal. When I snack, it's on things that are a little more healthy. Never eat strait out of the package and always make sure it's sealed well so that your brain can try to 'stop' you when you go to open the package when you know you shouldn't. It may also help to not buy large bags of the good stuff. If you can find smaller bags and only buy enough that you won't feel bad if you do eat the whole package, then it's not as big of a deal.

When you're done eating, brush your teeth or pop a stick of gum. I know that I hate spitting out my gum to eat something, especially when the gum still has flavor or I've just brushed my teeth.

Give yourself some time. It isn't easy to change old habits so do continue yourself a chance to enjoy the foods you love, just keep lowering your portions and you'll get there.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it without binging, avoid it altogether. That's what I have had to do. I hate it, but I don't have the self-control yet to be able to stop at just one serving size. Your aren't "depriving" yourself if you don't have cheetos.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same problem, but then I started eating more clean, whole, natural, unprocessed foods. Now I don't think junk food tastes good anymore, and it doesn't satisfy me at all.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I buy treat-type foods with the best of intentions, but if it's in the house, I literally can't stop thinking about it. It works out better for me to just not have it in the house.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I understand the moderation thing, but it doesn't work for me either. I found what works best is finding healthier options of trigger foods. Make your own peanut butter cups with dark chocolate or sf chocolate and real peanut butter. Make french fries by baking seasoned potato slices. Make ice cream by freezing real fruit smoothies and adding mini chocolate chips.

A few years ago I decided to start eating clean. This meant if I wanted "junk" I had to either skip it or find a whole food way to satisfy my cravings. It works out really well because you end up taking in a lot more nutrients and fiber and fill up on a lot less calories than you would if it was processed junk.

I'd start with checking out hungry-girl.com, she has a ton of recipes for modifying junk foods to make them less caloric. She uses a lot of sf and processed stuff though so it doesn't work well for clean eating but has good ideas like adding cauliflower to mac & cheese or mashed potatoes to lower the calorie count.

Here is a video about why humans become addicted to different foods. You might not agree with all of it and it's kind of long, but interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I
  • knelson422
    Options
    Amen, sister. I just ate probably 1/2 a bag of mint M&M's this morning. I can't have just 1/4 cup. I avoided chocolate for an entire year, a bet that I took from a family member, and I did it - So why does it have power over me? I was so disciplined to work out that I would get up at 4:15 in the morning and nurse my baby then go on my medium and long runs for the 1/2 marathon that I trained for last year. It is so hard for me to eat just a serving of chocolate and NOT whatever is left. I thought about my strategy, it is to have 1 chocolate day a month, where I can eat chocolate. That way, I can put it off until that day. I know some people hate the idea of a "cheat day" - but what I think will happen is that I will realize how gross I feel when I do eat that way, and will not indulge so much on that day. I am also going to pay myself $1 each day I don't eat chocolate. I know, I am totally lame. But, in the end it will help me. Money talks. The rest of my food intake is great, it is just chocolate that kills me.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Dont buy it ?:ohwell:
  • tawnajean
    Options
    Money talks! What a great idea!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing about the South Beach plan is that it gets rid of your sugar and starch cravings. After phase one is completed I fiound I no longer even cared to try the sweets that we still have in the house, even with serving them to hubby.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you can't find a way to eat things in moderation then I would suggest avoiding those foods at least for the time being.

Solid advice.
  • weezykid
    Options
    I tend to find the longer i avoid something the less i crave it, chocolate for example if i dont have it in the house, i dont desire it and i dont crave it...if i let myself have a piece then i get the taste for it and dont stop.

I try and save eating the 'junk food' for when its harder to avoid (seeing friends etc) so i can allow myself the odd treat and then just get back to my regular routine in my own time.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you can't control it now, don't try to. Just don't buy it. Don't go near it. Don't have it around you. Moderation for me isn't necessarily a smaller serving. It's just how frequently I have that serving. Or make healthy alternatives. If you want ice cream, go for frozen yogurt. Don't buy a CARTON of it. Go to a shop where you can buy an individual serving, eat it, and leave. If you want chocolate, try one of those yummy Fiber One bars (there's one that tastes just like Girl Scout Samoas). Clif makes yummy bars that taste like a peanut butter cookie, carrot cake, blueberry muffin.

You can find ways to get those cravings but in a better way. If you want crunchy, reach for pita chips instead of Doritos. If you want something fruity and cold (say, a margarita), get some lime fruit bars (natural ones, without added sugar).

Message me if you need more ideas. :]
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Find a way to manage it. Anything I can't eat within control, doesn't come in the house. I'd find something else to satisfy that craving. I can often eat fruit for my sweet tooth, but if I want a cookie, I go to the bakery, but 1 cookie and take it home. Chocolate almost never comes in the house because I have no willpower over it, but if I want it, I only buy a bite size and then I can usually incorporate it into my daily menu.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't work for me when it comes to certain macronutrients, so I avoid them as much as possible. Some people can do it; I can't. That being said, I leave one day out of the week to indulge a bit.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My weakness is cheese curls and chocolate so I've tried to find "healthier" solutions to both so i don't have to feel bad about having 2 or 3 servings. Instead of cheese curls I buy Special K cheddar crackers/ chips or cheddar rice cakes and I buy the no sugar added 40 calorie fudgesicles when I'm craving chocolate. These tend to solve my cravings and since they aren't as addicting I can usually stay with only one serving anyway :)