random fiber question

Options
I was at a friend's house recently and she said she was watching some food show where some fitness people come make over your pantry/fridge so you can eat healthier or something and something was mentioned about fiber. I guess one of the fitness people said that if you eat over 25 grams of fiber per day, nothing else you eat really matters because it basically gets flushed out of your system. They brought it up to one of the nutritionists on the show and she confirmed this theory. My friend asked me if I had ever heard this because (as she stated) I know the most random facts about nutrition out of anyone she knows. :laugh:

I had never heard this random tidbit and it sounds kinda strange to me. I understand that nothing 'doesn't count' in nutrition and even celery has calories even though most consider it a "free food" calorie wise. Has anyone ever heard this about fiber though?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't believe it......:noway:
  • Bev_Q
    Bev_Q Posts: 7
    Options
    There are many good reasons to increase your fiber intake. Lots of fiber (30-35 grams per day) is good for weight loss because it makes you feel fuller longer. Fiber encourages healthy bowels and digestive system which is important so that you are regular and don't reabsorb toxins into your system. Additionally being regular generally makes people feel happy, clean and energetic. However, just because you eat lots of fiber doesn't mean you won't absorb the calories, fat and other stuff from food that "counts". If that was true then the magic diet pill that everyone wants to lose weight would just be a fiber pill. That being said, some fibers are better than others. Definitely research this if you are looking to increase your fiber intake, don't just take metamucil.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    oh haha yeah I have no need to increase my fiber intake I'm great in that department. I just wanted to know if anyone else had heard this.