Laundry Room etiquette

Options
SKHaz1
SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
I live in an apartment building. Between two buildings we have one washer and one dryer. Yeah...

I tried to do my laundry last night, and someone was using it. Annoying? yes. But, what can you do?

Tried again this morning. Someone has their clothes in the washer and in the dryer. Both are done.

I left my basket down there to show the person that I am waiting to do my laundry. I figured I'd wait 30 minutes before going back down there. Since the washer and dryer were done when I went to do my laundry, that would leave them 30 minutes to get their clothes, assuming that they both had stopped seconds before I went down there.

If they are still there when I go back to check? What is the proper etiquette. I hate when people move my clothes but I always set a timer. Do I move their clothes and put mine in the washer? What do you think?

Ahh...good ol' apartment living.

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I don't know what proper etiquette is, but I don't know if I'd be able to leave someone's wet clothes to the side. I'd probably just wait :(
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Take them out and wash your clothes.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Take them out. We had this happen all the time back when I lived in the dorms. People should either set a timer, or face the consequences. If someone gets mad, say, "I waited x amount of time and they were still in there, so I thought you wouldn't mind if I moved them" with a smile on your face.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Take them out and wash your clothes.

This. It will help your neighbors remember to be a little more considerate next time.
  • wakeywildcat
    wakeywildcat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, we have to wait 10 mins if no one collects take them out and use.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's proper etiquette or not, but I'd take them out and put mine in. Then, I'd fold theirs and set them aside.

Time is too valuable to waste.
  • SKHaz1
    Options
    I don't know if it's proper etiquette or not, but I'd take them out and put mine in. Then, I'd fold theirs and set them aside.

Fold theirs?!?! Haha no way!
  • trishoida
    Options
    When I lived in apartment I always waited. It was only a complex of eight so it never took that long for the machines to become available. But one time my clothes were washing and someone was in such a hurry that they took my clothes out mid-cycle (yes suds and all) and tossed their clothes in and mine on the counter. I don't know why they wouldn't think I would notice but they probably didn't care if I did. I assume they didn't have the money to do their own washing and drying so they jacked my washing money. Oh apartment living...
  • sjtreely
    Options

Yep. I would. In reality, you don't have a clue as to why the person was so delayed in getting their clothes. It could be anything from rudeness to an emergency. I try an error on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. Kindness is never wrong.

My clothes might be down there one day unattended.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I used to live in a building where a quarter of the residents were twenties/thirties, working full time, and the rest were retirees (often widows). They were really good at folding ... the few times that I fell asleep with my clothes in the dryer. They did theirs during the day, while the younger set were evenings/weekends.
  • SKHaz1
    Options
    I don't think I want to fold peoples underwear...sorry.
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have the apartment manager put up a sign that states to remove you clothes promply. Now, as far as waiting if there is available dryer put them in the dryer, if they left their laundry basket put them inside their basket and start your laundry.
  • RedL1988
    Options
    i live in a 3 building apartment complex with 4 washers and dryers and they have a sign up saying if u have not removed ur clothes from washer/dryer after 30 minutes then the next person can remove them :)
  • sjtreely
    Options

Haha ... you don't have to be sorry. There is no right or wrong answer.

By the looks of things, I'm old enough to be your mother. I've had two children and have taught elementary school for 26 years. For those two reasons alone, I've seen and done many things that make others hurl.

Folding the clean underwear of someone I don't know doesn't even fall in the Top 100 Things That Make Me Cringe.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've always given them 10 minutes. The timer tells you how long it will be, so you have an obligation to stay time aware. After that, move their laundry out and start yours. I also stay down there, just to make sure they know it was me and that I didn't do anything wrong. But I'm kinda direct that way.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My husband and I manage an apartment complex with one dryer and washer for 8 units..We have one tenant who hogs up the washer and dryer, but everyone knows that they cannot leave their laundry unattended for more than 1 hour, (thats how long the dryer takes), or someone else is going to remove their stuff and do their own laundry.

I once had someone stop the dryer in the middle of my load of laundry...never figured out who it was or why...
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    They used to inform us constantly in the campus dorms that if someone's clothes were taking up space, moving them was well within your right. Just set them to the side and go about your way.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have lived in many apartment buildings, and well there was a reason why I used to drive to the laundrymat instead!
    But aside from that, I have no problem taking someones stuff out of the dryer and into their laundry basket. I will fold tops and pants, but I draw the line at panties and socks.

Taking clothes out the washer is a bit more, and I have to be reaaaly annoyed to do it. I will remove them and place them on top of the dryer, but I will not put them in the dryer. I often wash stuff that does not get dried and I would be furious if someone put them in the dryer.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Try 4 washers and 4 dryers for an entire apartment community...and they are never all working.

I wait 10 minutes, and then I move their stuff and either put it on the table or in a dryer if there is one available.

The second I put my laundry in, I start a timer countdown on my phone. I feel like that's the considerate thing to do.
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I wouldnt be folding other peoples laundry either. My time is too valuable and I'm not wasting it doing everyone elses laundry!

I'd take the laundry out and set it aside. maybe leave a note saying "sorry, but you were taking too long to get your laundry" or something. its better then leaving the laundry in the machines for who knows how much longer. wet clothes start to stink!