Pizza help!

Options
Island_Style20
Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
Yes, yes, I know. Pizza is probably the worst possible thing I could have for dinner. However, I'm cooking it for my parents and decided I could do a half and half. However, I've never made "healthy" pizza before! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Flatouts Flat breads make good low cal crust along with low sodium tomatoes and low fat cheese.
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Multigrain / whole wheat crust rolled out thinly, go easy on the sauce and light on cheese, top it with chicken and whatever veggies you like! I usually use spinach, zucchini, mushrooms and onions. Pizza doesn't have to be a BAD choice. It's about turning the things we love into good choices. Enjoy your dinner!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, I know. Pizza is probably the worst possible thing I could have for dinner. However, I'm cooking it for my parents and decided I could do a half and half. However, I've never made "healthy" pizza before! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Well, first, as long as you watch your portions and can fit it into your allowed calories, having pizza now and then is not a "bad" thing. If you like pizza, then have it.

Second, thin crust is best. Then, use a lot of fresh vegetables on it t bulk it up and build the nutrients some. Personally, I love onion, bell pepper, sliced tomato, spinach, and olives. If you want some meat, stick with chicken or other leaner meats (sausage and pepperoni are not the best choices). Finally, use a smaller amount of a good cheese. The flavor of a good, fresh mozzarella allows you to use less, but still get the goodness out of it.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Well, first, as long as you watch your portions and can fit it into your allowed calories, having pizza now and then is not a "bad" thing. If you like pizza, then have it.

Second, thin crust is best. Then, use a lot of fresh vegetables on it t bulk it up and build the nutrients some. Personally, I love onion, bell pepper, sliced tomato, spinach, and olives. If you want some meat, stick with chicken or other leaner meats (sausage and pepperoni are not the best choices). Finally, use a smaller amount of a good cheese. The flavor of a good, fresh mozzarella allows you to use less, but still get the goodness out of it.

HEAR HEAR!!
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Stefano Foods whole wheat ready made pizza dough. Bakes up fluffy with crisp edges in 20 mins. I find it in the at the deli counter in my grocery store (Food Lion). Better than take out!!
  • Island_Style20
    Options
    Thank you for your help guys! Unfortunately, I only have white flour, and not wheat. But I do make my own crust, so I will definitely do a thin crust and use whatever veggies I have in the house! :)
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza dough that only uses oil to grease the bowl for rising and greasing the pan. ( i also use it for a rustic bread). I also make my own sauce with tomato paste. I measure out the dough, the sauce, and the cheese and use a small skillet to make a personal pizza.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I have this issue too, because my family has a family night every monday and our 6 year old refuses to eat anything but pizza on family night, So I usually try to find something else to eat, but I am thinking this monday we will make individual pizzas and I'll make mine healthier, so I can still join in with our family night.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help guys! Unfortunately, I only have white flour, and not wheat. But I do make my own crust, so I will definitely do a thin crust and use whatever veggies I have in the house! :)

I use white all purpose if I don't have White Bread flour... My hubby would die if I made a whole wheat crust:laugh:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Multigrain / whole wheat crust rolled out thinly, go easy on the sauce and light on cheese, top it with chicken and whatever veggies you like! I usually use spinach, zucchini, mushrooms and onions. Pizza doesn't have to be a BAD choice. It's about turning the things we love into good choices. Enjoy your dinner!

Definitely this. Home made pizza with a whole grain crust and lots of veggies is really filling and not much different than pasta or rice with veggies. Just don't overload with cheese or skip it altogether and stay away from fatty meats like sausage, pepperoni, etc. My husband and I can easily eat a take-out pizza in one sitting but a home made one fills us up with 2 slices!
  • CriminalMIndsFan
    Options

Sorry I'm a pizza lover and so is my fiance. I don't think there's a "worst possible thing" about pizza LOL.....well OK maybe if you get the thick, stuff crusted pizza with pepperoni and all that other "high fat/calorie" meat on it but yeah I agree with everyone else. Go thin crust and stick with veggies and chicken/low cal/fat meats if you want meat and you should be fine. My personal favorite is Hawian(sorry about the spelling) BBQ chicken pizza.....it's got the hawian toppings but instead of pizza sauce they use BBQ sauce and add chicken.....
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza!!!
    Some of the things we do at our house are:
    1. use the biscuits in the can to make mini-individual pizzas. That way you can count your ingredients exactly and even use different cheese for yourself. Everyone is happy because they can make their own.
    2. Papa Murphy's have the deLite pizzas that are not a bad option if you do not want to make them yourself. The deLite have the extra thin crust and they will make a pizza however you want it.
    3. Chain pizza option: Dominoes, website has a calorie calculator so you can figure out what you will eat before you order! They also have a lighter options page with "healthier" ideas.
    4. Make it your "splurge" for the week and don't go overboard!!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i love making home made pizza!! super easy, inexpensive, and tasty!! and can be healthy too!! (well much more so than store or restaurant bought pizza)....

http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-pizza-only-way-to-go.html
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Go with whole grain crust - pre-baked and ready - and all veggies with low fat cheese, but get a good tomato sauce - Prego, Rago - nothing "diet" - YUK!

Use all fresh veggies - nothing frozen. And sprinkle each with some ground, cooked and seasoned turkey - seasoned heavily with garlic and oregano.

Have Fun!:drinker:
  • Island_Style20
    Options
    While we are all on the subject and I've got my veggie ideas - how about any homemade sauces? I normally make my own as well....except I don't have fresh tomatoes, so it'd have to be with tomato sauce/paste!
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on the cheese, use marinera or even olive oil with some tomatos and other veggies on it.
  • grace8488
    Options
    Great advice. Well said!
  • Island_Style20
    Options
    Has anyone ever done salsa on their pizza instead of tomato sauce?
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Google Dr.Dow's pizza recipe saw him on the Dr Oz show and made it . Tastes delicious and is only 228 calories per whole pizza. The ingredients are booster foods which help us lose the lbs. hope this is helpful to you !