Muscle milk chemicals q

76tech
76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm concerned because I picked up some muscle milk powder, then read some reports about high levels of heavy metals. Cadmium, mercury, lead and arsenic. I'm wondering if it's all horse s*** or should I switch to something a bit safer.

Ideally I wouldn't need powders at all, but for the time being it seems to be a bit more convenient and economical...

Thanks!

Replies

• maybe it will help my hubby got creatin(for building muscle mass ) its a substance your muscles make on their own so the power is just a supliment for his body
    i also take l-carnitine supliment witch i already have in my body but in little quantity and it helps me workout more and lose weight faster (so they say:)))) anyways when we looked for them on the biotech usa site we tryed to find something with as few ingredients as possible....the other extra stuff is questionable try to find the most active ingredient and eat or drink it on its own without the extra ingredients ur not sure about...
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    There are people out there that moan about the mercury levels, of MM. But for the most part its just as safe as regular foods.
  • Muscle Milk actually recently (in 2010) got in trouble for having unsafe levels of harmful metals in their supplements. Since then, they have supposedly changed their formulas and are in the clear for sale and use, but it is definitely something to be aware of. Because supplements like this aren't regulated by the FDA there's always a risk when using them.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Thanks for all the answers, everyone.

mandaringirl - the problem is as kerstesaurus says, there are harmful heavy metals which are just contaminants, not listed on the label. Makes things that much more difficult.

I returned the unopened container and just got a flavored whey protein which wasn't on the shelf yesterday. I liked the carb/fat/protein profile in MM, but I'll stick to this for now.

I wonder how much of the metals are in the cocoa itself, supposedly cocoa beans have a lot of this contamination depending on how/where they are grown.

In any case, I found the True Nutrition website and will likely just order from there next time. I'd like to avoid the supplements like creatine, etc, since I'm really only looking to increase protein intake.

Thanks again!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    you mean this report?

protein-drinks.jpg