Exercise ?'s

Options
A couple questions:
1). I've been using the calculations on the treadmill and just found out those might not be accurate. I am trying to do this the right way. Is there a specific HRM that you would recommend? Are those more accurate?
Also
2). I'm curious if weight lifting burns calories. How much would you burn completing a circuit of 10-20 reps?
3). How much do you push yourself in terms of actual weight being lifted? Do you do more reps of a low weight or do you push for the max you can do?

Thanks guys, please add me as a friend!!

Replies

• nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't answer many of your questions. I bought a Polar FT7 monitor last week and am really enjoying it. I thought I might have a problem with the chest strap, but I don't even notice it and I'm heavy. My experience has been that the treadmill is quite a bit off. I still record both in different apps, just so I can compare. I do a 15-minute or so warm-up before I get on the treadmill. I do the treadmill for 47 minutes currently. (It puts in a two-minute cool-down on the end of my 45-min.) Today the treadmill said I burned 415 calories going my 2.49 miles. But the polar monitor said I burned 353, including my warm-up, which usually averages about 25-30 calories. So the treadmill was significantly off. I would highly recommend an HRM and also recommend Polar since their web-site is very supportive and informative as well. Good luck!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you get a HRM it'll answer most of your questions. I have a Polar FT7. I got mine because after reading several posts on MFP it seems to be very popular. I'm also following New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book you can get off Amazon. It has answered all my questions about lifting weights. Also a very popular item on MFP. I have been very successful with both of these. I hope this helps. :)
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check out Polar and the New Rules yay!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    With cardio you burn your calories right then and there. With heavy weight lifting you burn less than cardio then and there, but you burn more just sitting and watching tv.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert in measuring exercise, but here is my experience. I had a Sportline HRM that you had to touch the bezel to read. I was pretty good about doing in every minute or two until I hit stride, then every few minutes. It gave me higher calorie burns than MFP did.

My wife got me a Polar F7 for Christmas. As the other poster noted, the strap is no big deal, and that is after running, tennis, bike riding, weight lifting, and all the cardio machines at the gym. You can swim in it as well, although I don't.

The Polar measures calories somewhat lower than MFP projects, significantly lower than the Sportline. My pulse measures the same on both of them, as well as on the gym machines. I think the difference is just in the algorithm used to convert heartbeats to calories. Which is right? I have no idea.

My approach is to use the HRM numbers. If the weight loss doesn't come, I'll go another direction. It is much easier to change approaches when you have used a constant approach to begin with.

One benefit of a HRM is that you can wear it when you lift, so you can be aware of the impact on your calories and heart rate.

But I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Just options.
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Thanks Intenn! I am going to check out the monitors. This is first time I've even heard of them:). I always thought the machine had the right way. I'm glad I found this though!!