Breastfeeding

do I get more calories if I'm nursing?

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Are you exclusively nursing?! If do it's 500 cals... I personally found though when I started to count calories I started having problems with my milk supply (I drink over a gallon of water a day and then usually a glass or two of crystal light or propel so it wasn't the fluids doing it) anyway I went back to not counting... Just being more picky about food choices and not eating do much junk and it's coming back :-)
  • ctinajoy
    ctinajoy Posts: 6 Member
    I added about 500 calories to my plan (by choosing "very active" daily lifestyle even though my job makes me pretty much sitting all day). I make sure to eat all those calories each day as well as eating my exercise calories if I work out. I have only been doing this for about a week and a half, but have lost 3 lbs which is right in line with my goals, and have had no problems with milk supply. My baby is 9 months, so she is also eating some solids in addition to nursing. I recommend starting on a rather high calorie amount for a week and then if you haven't lost weight take it down by 100 cal/day for the next week and so on until you find what works for your body. For me, if I can eat 2500 cal/day and breastfeed and workout, and still lose 1.5 lbs/wk, I'm pretty happy with that :-) In addition to risking problems to your milk supply, your body will also refuse to let go of the fat you're trying to burn if you try to cut the cals too low.