New from New Mexico where Mexican food is an addiction...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited to have found this site. I started walking 3 to 4 miles a day a couple of years ago and lost 40 lbs.....but I am slowly putting the weight back on even though I continue to walk. I really need to get smarter about what I eat!!! Putting it all down in a journal really opens your eyes....hopefully seeing the calories in black and white will help me make better choices. Eating out is going to be my toughest challenge.......

Replies

• anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am so excited to have found this site. I started walking 3 to 4 miles a day a couple of years ago and lost 40 lbs.....but I am slowly putting the weight back on even though I continue to walk. I really need to get smarter about what I eat!!! Putting it all down in a journal really opens your eyes....hopefully seeing the calories in black and white will help me make better choices. Eating out is going to be my toughest challenge.......
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    Welcome aboard, great place here. And Mexican is tough, not a whole lot of diet Mexfood I've run into...Although you can search the posts someone posted a ground turky burrito the other day.:smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    welcome to a great site and keep up your great work. I was just telling my DH this morning that it is amazing on how much I ate compared to now...all due to writing it down.....

Good luck :happy:
    dd
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I love Mexican food even that from New Mexico and I still do. I've learned that I can pick through a taco fajita salad and stay within my daily limits. I even continue to have salsa and chips during a ball game on TV -- again limiting the amount this time. It has helped monitoring my consumption through this website and now that I really "know" what portion control is through these dialogues and my daily log I think I can finally do what I have set out to do.

Welcome aboard!
  • rebasmart
    Options
    I make myself Taco Salad pretty regularly. I put some chicken or if I have extra calories I'll use ground beef, corn, salsa and like a tbs of Sour Cream. And since I love chips and salsa I take a couple of chips and cruble them on top for some cruch taste mixed in. It is really good. I also use guacamole sometimes too as long as I don't use too much. It just depends on how many calories I have already used that day. If you really want something extra you can just keep the calories in the day real low so you have plenty left for supper and workout that day too. Eating out Mexican food is the worst, especially the chips and salsa. I count how many chips I am eating and keep telling myself where I am and give my number to start off with to keep under. You might even ask them to bring your food out as soon as it is ready instead of waiting on everybody else so you can start on it and eat slow and they will have chips to still eat on.
  • GodzGirl
    Options
    Welcome Aboard.... I enjoy Mexican food as well. .. Although I don't have any suggestion besides what has already been mentioned...sry
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from NM too! Where abouts are you? I live close to Abq and am in desperate need of a work out partner!

Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in the East Mountains. My husband and I usually walk up here, though when the weather is too cold we sometimes go down to the Nature Center in ABQ to walk the Clear Ditch. I am also trying to swim twice a week in town. They have lap swimming M-F from 6 am to 9 am.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I live in Edgewood. At the moment I'm going to Defined 3-4 days a week and chasing my kids on the off days. When it is warm we like to take walks as a family- anything to keep moving!