I've become obsessed!

Options
Or so I've been told. But in a good way. Well my mom mentioned to me that she'd like to get in shape and attempt a half marathon next March. Dad and Lil Sis didn't believe she could do it so when she called to tell me about it she asked if I'd do it with her. I said yes, and so now I'm obsessed with getting ready. :laugh:

So my question is... does anyone know of a podcast (or similar) out there for half marathon training? I've got one for a 5k, an 8k, and a 10k but seems they don't have the funding and aren't going to post the one they were planning for a half marathon. :grumble:

I've looked online and I see many websites with training schedules, but I'm really bad at timing myself and really just want something that's already done and will just tell me when to speed up and slow down.

Replies

• blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Or so I've been told. But in a good way. Well my mom mentioned to me that she'd like to get in shape and attempt a half marathon next March. Dad and Lil Sis didn't believe she could do it so when she called to tell me about it she asked if I'd do it with her. I said yes, and so now I'm obsessed with getting ready. :laugh:

So my question is... does anyone know of a podcast (or similar) out there for half marathon training? I've got one for a 5k, an 8k, and a 10k but seems they don't have the funding and aren't going to post the one they were planning for a half marathon. :grumble:

I've looked online and I see many websites with training schedules, but I'm really bad at timing myself and really just want something that's already done and will just tell me when to speed up and slow down.
  • fnstqlty
    fnstqlty Posts: 11
    Options
    That is awesome! I am so jealous of you...

I can not run! Plain and simple! I just can't do it. 10 yards and I'm out of breath. I am hoping that once I am lighter on my feet I will be able to work myself up from a fast walk, to a jog, to eventually being able to take a nice run in the mornings.

I myself find it helpful when I have a goal like you do. I think it gives us a reason to push harder and stay on track.

Keep us posted on your progress up to the event!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It'll be the first of anything I've ever run so we'll see what happens. :huh: We'll also see how mom does... she's afraid she's going to have problems with her knee. We may end up doing something much smaller than the half but one way or another, we're doing something! :laugh:

I was never a fan of running. I seriously wouldn't run for anything... not even for something like an emergency or to get away from anyone. :noway: I couldn't even say that it was because I couldn't... I just wouldn't. But over the last 2 years or so I always noticed how people actually looked like they enjoyed it. Then I wanted to do it. Struggled a lot because when I want to do something, I want to do it now and I'm not terribly patient and wouldn't do the whole working up to it routine. So I'd fail over and over.

But this time, I'm really into it... all of it. Now if only my pedometer would get here so I know how far I can go. :grumble:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if I were you, I'd start by running a 5K first, then work up to a 10K, then go for the half marathon. even for experienced runners, a half marathon is no joke. And the learning experience of doing the other runs will prepare you like no podcast ever could.

IMHO, as always. I started small, have done a 5K, am signed up for a 10K, and will be aiming to do a hlaf marathon by the fall. but IDK if I will hit that goal- it is a lot of training!:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oh, and you can use mapmyrun.com to check on your distance- no pedometer required:wink:
    also I sometimes go use my car to drive the route and measure it in miles that way-