Question for Half Marathoners

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already given.
    Thank you all! I guess I have been doing some of the suggestions, just didn't know it. I usually run 2 miles 4-5 days a week before going to work and then on the weekends I pull in my long distance runs at 6-7 miles on both days. I will definitely check out the sites suggested.

You have a good base established. Depending on what you are looking for going into the race, I'd suggest building your long run to 14-15 miles. I think that is a great confidence builder on race day.
  • kellymcampbell
    Options
    Check out anothermotherrunner.com - they have lots of great tips for runners, and a great and active Facebook page too. They also have a great book out (run like a mother) and a new one coming that has specific training plans in it (train like a mother). I haven't been able to run in over a year due to a knee issue, and I still read the blog and Facebook page, just for motivation.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've used FIRST. www.furman.edu/first
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You can run 7 miles? You are in great shape to train for a 1/2...rule of thumb is increase mileage no more than 10% a week...runnersworld has great training schedules based on what you want your finish time to be...

Mix your runs up...one day do shorter (about 3 miles), next day do hills or intervals, next day rest, next day tempo, short, rest and than long run....

If you google for training for 1/2 marathon, you can find training tips and suggestions...

Agreed!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Check out www.runnersworld.com. You can register for free, then find the "Smartcoach" under the training tab. There, you can build a training plan for whatever distance race you want. I'm currently using it to train for my first 1/2 marathon. It's really cool.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Runner's World (online verion of the magazine) has free programs that you can download. One is a training program for a half marathon. The others that I found helpful/interesting included one on nutrition for runners, and injury prevention for runners. They also have a strength training program online (with video demonstrations) that can be used on cross training days!

http://www.runnersworld.com/
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Try Hal Higdon Half Marathon novice training!! I used it last year and did Baltimore Half Marathon!!

Bump!
    If you can run 7 miles now, you can train for a half easy. I was running about 6 and I trained for a half in 6 weeks following the last half of the Hal Higdon model. I would consider adding strength training to it though. I injured my leg during the last few weeks. It was fine for running and with Ibuprofen, but walking was killer...so I wish I had been stronger.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon to train for my last full marathon. It was my third marathon, but I felt better prepared for this one than my other two.
    I think his program is pretty sensible and, as others have pointed out, you're already doing 7 miles - you're over halfway there.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ditto Hal Higdon novice.

Another vote for Hal Higdon's Novice program.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've used FIRST. www.furman.edu/first
    I like FIRST also, but it's definitely not recommended for new runners. These plans are pretty intense, if you're doing it correctly.

Stick with the Higdon novice plan for your first and keep building your base. Then shoot for more intensity later.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am using Jeff Galloway's 1/2 training! I love it!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    BUMP