Protein Bars?

Options
jill___
jill___ Posts: 188 Member
Does anyone know any good protein bars that aren't loaded with sugar and saturated fat!?

I mainly eat fruits and veggies, I try to stick to high fiber, high protein -- I like bars for a quick snack in the afternoon, but they all seem to be terribly unhealthy!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My choices are : South Beach bars (they just came out with new ones), Kashi Trail Mix bars, and Luna bars. These are all South Beach friendly--whole grains and low in added sugar. The Luna bars have a lot of sugar from the fruit though.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Look at Quest protein bars. 170cal, 20pro, 5fat, 24cho(18fib). Not bad for a little bar.
  • nichol61480
    Options
    My favorite are Luna Bars. The chocolate Peppermint stick is the absolute best!
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating the Atkins advantage bars They have meal replacement and snack bars, my favorite is the peanut butter granola. Yummy!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    BSc are good - but not sure how easy they are to source outside of Australia. Also, Aussie Bodies (the same caveat applies).
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have a Luna bar, have a Luna Protein bar. Much more filling and less insulin spike compared to the original Luna bars.
    The Chocolate Mint and Chocolate Cherry are the best IMO.

But my FAVORITE nutrition bar are these: http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Revolution-Raspberry-Chocolate-2-2-Ounce/dp/B000EDK7WO/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_c
    Raw Revolution Raspberry Chocolate bars - BIG and satisfying, not low in calories but high in good quality calories for your health! Raw and clean food, you know what's in it and tastes like it's rich and filling.

Or you can always make your own: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/19/homemade-luna-bars/
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What do you think about these:
    http://questproteinbar.com/
    One of the posters already mentioned them.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I second the Quest bars. They're a fiber supplement and a protein bar all in one, with almost no sugars. The ingredient lists will amaze you - no bizarre chemical names.

The Original line has artificial sweetners but no sugar alcohols. The All Natural Line has no artificial sweetners but some sugar alcohols in their place; not nearly as many as most protein bars though.

There are about 10 flavors and I like all but one of them. Won't tell you which one so as not to bias you. Quest.com.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    the quest ones are full of artificial ingredients and sugar alchohols - not very healthy :(
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What about the Kellogg Protein bars? What do you all think of those?
  • Asavitzk
    Options
    http://www.specialk.com/meal-bars

I start almost every workday with one of these for breakfast since I usually only have time to eat while driving to work. Sometimes I have one for lunch too or a before/after-workout boost. The local BJ's Wholesale Club sells big boxes of them with half double chocolate flavor and half peanut butter flavor. I like them both but note there is a 10 calorie difference in the two flavors and somewhat surprisingly it's the chocolate ones that have fewer calories.

They're not exactly crunchy-hippie-natural but they aren't too bad and they are higher in protein than may other options out there.

Aaannnnnddd I just noticed I can get them through Amazon's subscribe and save program so I guess I'll be comparing prices soon. :)
  • Zaffy01
    Zaffy01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal replacement bar is the "larabar" and my favorite flavor is the cherry pie. They are made will all natural ingredients, and no preservatives. In fact, most bars don't have more than 4 or 5 ingredients. My costco offers a variety pack that I buy consistently, check them out, they are great....

Cherry Pie Nutrition Facts:

Ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Cherries

Calories: 200
    Total Fat: 8g
    sat. fat: 0.5g
    trans: 0
    mono-unsat:5g
    Poly-unsat: 2g

Cholest: 0mg

Sodium: 0mg

Potassium: 400mg
    Total Carbs: 30g
    fiber: 4g
    Sugars 23g (all naturally occurring btw)

Protein: 5g

I know they don't have AS much protein as strictly protein bars, but these keep me going for a long while! Good Luck with your search!
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating the Atkins advantage bars They have meal replacement and snack bars, my favorite is the peanut butter granola. Yummy!
    ^ this! they r yummy!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Zone chocolate chip cookie dough, zone double dark chocolate, and the Luna bars
  • jill___
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I think I'm just gonna stick to fruits & veggies and Muscle Milk Light shakes.

Protein bars just have WAY too much saturated fat for my liking -- and the one that are low in saturated fat and sugar are also pretty low in protein!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Protein bars just have WAY too much saturated fat for my liking -- and the one that are low in saturated fat and sugar are also pretty low in protein!

If you ever decide you like the portability of a bar, try to make your own some time with protein powder, dates, dried cranberries/cherries/blueberries, oats/almonds/cashews (use a food processor)!
  • jill___
    Options

If you ever decide you like the portability of a bar, try to make your own some time with protein powder, dates, dried cranberries/cherries/blueberries, oats/almonds/cashews (use a food processor)!

That's a great idea!! I might give it a try! I also LOVE the Raw Revolution bars that you mentioned before -- Dark Chocolate Coconut is my favorite. I think they're good for a once-in-a-while on the run snack, but not something that I'd eat everyday.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I think I'm just gonna stick to fruits & veggies and Muscle Milk Light shakes.

For my taste, the Muscle Milk lite is ok. But I like the EAS brand AdvantEdge Carb Control in chocolate fudge. Gonna try their Dark Chocolate this week
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The Pure Protein line is my favorite. Tastes really good too.
  • IronCrossFitness
    Options
    check out odwalla bars they are completely natural love em...chocolate peanut protein bar