I'm not sure what to do...

Options
Help everyone! I'm really trying to change my life this year, but I am EXTREMELY unsure, uneducated about how to go about doing it. I plan to lose between 130-140 lbs to acheive my goal.. The problem is that I have no clue how to go about doing this.. What to eat, How to work out. I'm trying to go to the gym at least 5 days a week and right now I'm working on portion control. So what I want help with is just advice I guess. I want people to tell me what they did that worked for them. I really just want to have an example of where to start. Thank you to everyone who will contribute. My current weight is 265, my goal weight is 130. Weight loss is really hard for me because I have been overweight my whole life and so is my family, so I really don't have that example to go by.. My plan is to get healthy and to get my family healthy too.. Thanks again !! :)

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit which helped me tremendously ...
    i TRY to eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts/seeds, whole grain.... workout 5-6 days/week.... tons of water.. log everything. .. its works for most people, but you gotta figure out what works for you! <3
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    with a goal of losing over 100 pounds I would get a complete physical and check up.. Check your thyroid etc. Start with as much information about your body. Start reading nutrition.

log everything you eat.'
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing a physician first. Mine referred me to a Registered Dietician and she finally got me on the right path after many failed attempts on my own.

15247291.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a good start with the portion control and exercising. With that much weight to lose bumping up the exercise sessions will show good results and train some good habits. MFP is great for making you accountable for your calorie intake. Educate yourself on nutrition and enjoy eating fresh foods, clean foods. Watch your sugar intake and bump up your protein I think you are going to do fine. Friend me if you would like and I will be happy to share more tips with you. Have been a healthy good food consumer all my life but due to an accident I am really having to watch my diet until I can exercise more in the near future. Can't wait to see you shine!
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to get healthy! It's tough, but if you look around MFP, you will find many people who have successfully lost weight and kept if off. I think a good place to start would be to look at the success stories. They are very inspirational and they usually tell you what worked for them..
    Next, log your food, all your food, even if you've had a bad day.
    Make friends who log every day and will support you! I think it's easier that way.
    Good luck! You can do it.
    PS I'm not where I want to be, but I started at 230 and I have kept off at least 40-50 of that for about 8 years (I'm usually about 175-180). Now I'm trying to get down to about 140.
  • bonniesables
    Options
    Well the main thing is you have started the next is not to give up.....With everything if you start out in full blast mode you don't stick with it.....So tell you what I have done....I started with searching foods that help burn fat......and search foods that keep fat on you and stay away from them......you will be surprised at what foods not to eat....and what foods burn belly fat fast..and log every day what you eat even if you cheat log it....this will help you......and drink water and tea....diet soda does not work it cause it will hold water in your system.......and I only exercise 4 times a week not everyday until I can work my way up to everyday......so far I have lost only 3 lbs in a week but slow is better than fast.....and also I have a meal chart search foods then plan your meals....hope this helps alot of info.....on the web......
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Read everything you can get your hands on about healthy eating.

Changing your bad habits and creating good habits. Drink plenty of water.

Healthy eating with exercise is the key. There is no magic diet, pill, surgery, etc.

Good luck and we're all here to help.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that you need complete physical with blood work drawn to make sure there is no underlying problem e.g.thyroid. I think you are off to a great start. Drink lots of water every day. I even keep a bottle at my bedside and drink it when I get up to go to the bathroom. Subscribe to a magazine that might motivate you and give some good information. I like Fitness and Cooking Light magazines-lots of great healthy recipes.

My last bit of advice. For every pound you lose put a few bucks away and when you lose a certain amount of weight treat yourself to something. You deserve it.

Good luck.
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone.. I love the ideas and they will really help!!
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    A great book that will put it in word you can understand, and guide you through the process it Jackie Warner's "This is Why Your Fat (and how to get thin forever)."

Its helped me tremendously to understand my own physiology and start on the right path. It's not that expensive through amazon or NOOk either.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Welll to start.....STAY on this site. Always log your calories no matter HOW bad you ate that day and be very honest adding the calories. You've made the first step which is acknowedging that you need help and encouragement. This is a great site for that. God Speed to you.....be prepared for a long, frustrating road that's worth the journey!
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    AWESOME BOOK!!!!
    A great book that will put it in word you can understand, and guide you through the process it Jackie Warner's "This is Why Your Fat (and how to get thin forever)."

Its helped me tremendously to understand my own physiology and start on the right path. It's not that expensive through amazon or NOOk either.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There are great recipes at www.skinnytaste.com. All nutritional information is listed. Check it out.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good for You !! Few basic tips...

Water
    NO soda
    Cut out as much sugar and processed foods as you can.
    You have to eat!
    Don't give up!!!

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out,
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I want to stress how important the suggestion you are getting about going to the Dr first is. It is vital that you have some blood work done and then talk to your doctor about recommending a nutritionist for you.

In mean time, start reading labels and inputting what you eat in your food diary.

Good luck and I am so glad you are here. You will never EVER regret getting healthy. :)
  • chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Water and patience... I struggle with the patience. TRY to remember becoming healthy and fit will NOT happen over night. Friend me if you would like.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    There are great recipes at www.skinnytaste.com. All nutritional information is listed. Check it out.

I LOVE this site..I even tweak them down more and put them in "my recipes"..on MFP...I lost 90 pounds in 6 months, then lost another 6 pounds over the following 2 months..(after a back injury) it CAN be done!! There are many others here who have last far more weight than I have.

I have been maintaing since late aug 2011
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ASK FOR HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!!!!!

the people on this site are great for everything from good words and support to recipes, an *kitten* kicking, and work out buddies.

GOOD LUCK!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but here's what I've found out in the last few months:

Weigh everything. Don't estimate. I would advise investing in a good set of scales.

Always double check your information. Sometimes, items that you scan with your phone have inaccurate information.

Log all that you eat. Even if you're having an 'off' day. If you don't log it, you're only cheating yourself.

Don't weigh yourself too often. Once a week is just fine. You're weight will fluctuate throughout the week due to varying factors, especially water retention.

Don't panic if you don't lose a lot of weight at once. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Eat enough. Eating too little is as bad as eating too much.

Don't be afraid to have the odd treat. You don't have to cut out chocolate or doughnuts forever. I don't!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here's what's been working for me so far, all relatively small changes:

- I started eating breakfast (instant oatmeal. Quick, easy, something in my belly to get the day started and I can make it at work and eat it at my desk). I also try to eat every two or three hours (works a lot better during the week. Weekends still mess me up)

- Water! I've got a big 32 oz water bottle and I fill it up two or three times a day. I've made myself a deal: No diet Coke until I drink ALL my water

- Portion control - which you're already doing! Good job! I count and measure everything I can.

- As everyone else is suggesting, log everything. If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, get the MFP app so you can log on the go.

Remember that there is no ONE right way to do this. Lots of people have had success doing this lots of different ways. You will find the way that works for you. Don't get discouraged. Don't expect yourself to be perfect. There's been lots of good advice here already - take what you think you can apply to yourself FOR LIFE, because this is going to be a life-long change you're making, right? You can do it!!