To all the runners. I have a question

Options
I want to start running but i'm not a "little" girl:wink: and ive tried to start but if I go more than 2 min at a time without walking my shins hurt REALLY bad! Does anyone have any tips.

Its just the pain in my legs I have a problem with. I amazingly could do it and didn't get to out of breath or think I was gonna die.

Replies

• JenniferMann24
    Options
    I want to start running but i'm not a "little" girl:wink: and ive tried to start but if I go more than 2 min at a time without walking my shins hurt REALLY bad! Does anyone have any tips.

Its just the pain in my legs I have a problem with. I amazingly could do it and didn't get to out of breath or think I was gonna die.
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    To start off go slow. Go for a walk, with a watch or without and walk for about 5 minutes run 30sec-1min, and repeat...and the more often you do it the more you can increase the running time. Just take it easy, because we all know that wins the race:smile:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Oh and if the pain still continues after doing that go and see your doctor for recommendations. Maybe you are bending your feet oddly when you are running, get someone watch to watch your feet (when you are not realizing, or you will consciously change your running patten) when you run, and that will ultimately tell you.
  • tsisson
    tsisson Posts: 1
    Options
    My advise, two things:
    1. Buy decent running shoes, they don't have to be expensive, but they need to be running shoes. I really like asics, they have a wider toe area.
    2. Even more important than good shoes is GOOD SHOE INSERTS. All shoes no matter how much you pay for them come with the same thin cardboard insterts. Take them out. Get gel or running inserts, cut them to fit your shoes, and change them out every 3-6 mos depending on how much you run. They will SAVE your shins!!
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    stretch! Stretch your shins and your calves - after a walking warmup do a lot of calf roller dip stretches (use a curb or the back of the treadmill - or an angled board) and stretch straight legged and bent legged - doing both toe up on elevation and heel down into space to get the full length of the back of the calf.... then I usually point my toe to the ground and push forward gently - if you have access to someone at a gym who can watch your form that'd be great 'cause you don't want to over extend your ankle ligaments... but the shin pain is common and it can be combatted with good stretching pre and post runs.... and if you do intervals - nothing wrong with stretching a bit - shins and hamstrings and quads - on your slow down....
  • megancolleen
    Options
    have you tried the couch to 5k program.. It was how I started running.. they really want you to go as slow as possible! I really like it and it got me running 5K's!

Here is the link... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    tsisson..can't agree more. When I started out running, I would get shin splints every time. Changed my shoes and haven't gotten them since. That should help out the splints problem. Then just work on your endurance. Remember your not running for speed. Take your time.
  • trackgirl89
    Options
    I have running forever and have shin and knee problems myself. It's important to stay off the roads as much as possible. Trail running is great because not only does the ground offer a better cushioning system but the looking at the scenery and watching your foot placement also distracts you from the fact that your working your tookus off!

Just start out doing whatever you can, whatever that may be, and work your way up. You can do it!!! :glasses: Good luck! :happy:
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Another vote for good shoes. I say do put a little money into them. I went to a running store and the sales person watched me walk and showed me what he thought would be the best fit for me. It was an Asics and I love them! I haven't had shin splints until recently, when I started wearing different shoes for some of my workouts. They involve some running and I can definitely tell a difference when I'm not wearing my running shoes.