What should I set my activity level to?

Options
I'm a stay at home mom. I work out a minimum of 6 days a week with cardio at a minimum of 1 hour a day. I also strength train for a minimum of 30 minutes 3 to 4 days a week.

I keep my house very clean, shop a lot :) and am always looking for a way to be more active.

I do spend an excessive amount of time in front of the computer on my behind. Bad habit/addiction.

Since I spent so much time sitting I have my activity set to sedentary but I'm wondering if due to my exercise levels if I should be set to light or active? I have no clue.

Thanks in advance :)

Ack. I fixed "do" to "due", lol. I'm a nerd.

Replies

• jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mine are set to sedentary also...And as u know...I'm not. I just keep it like that so I can log my excercizes as I go...I guess it's kind of just personal preference!!! I would hate to overestimate my level... The descriptions are vauge...
  • jjblurayracks
    Options
    you definately shouldn't set it to sedentary, thats the same as being in bed all day!! im set to midly active which only multiplies your brm by 1.375 instead of 1.2 (if im not mistaken)

I just make a point of doing as much little things i can during the day (standing at work) and parking a bit further from the shops to walk that extra km and i dont log any of that on here.

That way whatever i do at the gym counts as extra over and above the normal.

maybe treat the exercise with the same policy as your calories. honesty is the best policy
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't log much walking, shopping or cleaning. Once in a while when I walk extra I log and twice now I logged cleaning because I spent 4 hours + each day scrubbing my grout on my hands and knees.

I do log all of my exercise including Yoga, strength training, cardio and every single minute of it :), lol.

I always park in the back of the lot to get the extra walking and things of that nature to up my activity level. I feel guilty about the amount of time I spend inactive :-/.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I changed it to lightly active. :happy:
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary. I sit most of the day at work, though I move from seat to seat. "Sedentary" isn't the same as "comatose." (Apparently not a lot of comatose people enroll in MFP, so it isn't one of the choices, lol.)

I also have zero planned exercise. Whenever I do exercise, I log the calories. Then I can eat more that day. It's a great motivation to exercise. I'm exercising far more than I did before. And now that I'm fitter and weigh less, I'm just more active moving around because it feels good to use my body.

I'm losing weight faster than MFP predicts, so maybe sedentary underestimates my calories, but so what? I'm not complaining about success. I feel great, so I think what I'm eating is right for me.