RUNNERS: Am I working up to a good level or deceiving my bod

Options
I have been walking/running for about 3 months now. I walk a distance, run the length of a cul de sac, walk again, run the length of another cul de sac, walk a distance then run a strip of road then cool down. The past two weeks I have been running the length of the cul de sacs and then going a little bit further. It is about a 1.75 mile distance about 30 minutes. My goal has been to keep adding until I can run the whole thing. Someone said I was just doing a disservice to my body/mind because of running then stopping. I eventually want to run a 5K etc and get good at running. I want to do the right thing now so any help is appreciated!!!

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been walking/running for about 3 months now. I walk a distance, run the length of a cul de sac, walk again, run the length of another cul de sac, walk a distance then run a strip of road then cool down. The past two weeks I have been running the length of the cul de sacs and then going a little bit further. It is about a 1.75 mile distance about 30 minutes. My goal has been to keep adding until I can run the whole thing. Someone said I was just doing a disservice to my body/mind because of running then stopping. I eventually want to run a 5K etc and get good at running. I want to do the right thing now so any help is appreciated!!!
  • Starchaser
    Options
    What you're doing is effectively replicating interval training but not at a high intensity.
    I've read and experienced first hand that this is much much better at reducing body fat and increaing aerobic fitness. Don't ask me why!

I've also read that when you use interval training your metabolism continues at that high rate long after you've stopped interval training so even when at rest you're burning more calories. Again, don't ask me how it works, but I've found it does.

The formula I use relies on effort rather than speed.
    For four weeks I warmup up at around 50% effort for five mins, then sprint 45 seconds at 80% effort and rest 1min 30 seconds at 60% effort. Repeated 5-8 times then a 7 minute cooldown at 30% effort.

I ran a 10k in 51 minutes despite never having run more than 2 miles.

What you're doing is dead on for 5k training and for fat stripping. Keep it up! So long as the run:rest is in a ratio of 1:2 i.e 30 secs run minutes rest, 2 mins run 4 mins rest etc
  • sallyomally333
    Options
    I just started running about 4 months ago. I too followed a program of walking/running until I could run the entire time. You are doing exactly what you should be doing!
    The two things I read and really agree with are,
    When first training to run you should be focusing on minutes ran instead of distance. I am currently at 30 mins running and it is amazing!
    The last thing to work on is speed. You should be running at a pace that is comfortable to you. When you have reached the amount of time you are training for, then start working on your speed.
    I am still only running/jogging 2.75 miles in 30 minutes. But I have to let my body get used to running the full 30 min before I can work on speed.
    Great Job! Keep it up!
  • ae135
    ae135 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am trying to get back into running myself. I looked up a website, Runnersworld.com and found a Beginner's training program. It suggests combining walking and running to start with and then increasing the length of the running intervals weekly. So it sounds like your doing the right thing. Here's the link to the article. Hope this helps and good luck!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is all great info, I just started the jogging/walking thing yesterday, I would like to run a 5k someday as well. I just went out and did it without research, listened to my body, and after reading your posts looks like I was doing the right thing. Thanks.
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill about 6 months ago doing just as you are doing. Walked for 5 minutes, ran for 15 and repeated that 4 times. As I found myself comfortable with that I did longer runs and eventually running the entire time. I just started to run outside (due to the weather becoming nicer) and it's a tad harder, so I started back to the same intervals, but now based on miles.

I just ran my first 4 miles race last weekend and ran the entire thing in 37:35 - a 9:33 pace - which I thought was decent for my first race.

I'd keep up what you're doing until you can run the whole thing. Then run it for a bit and go back and forth with the interval training.

Keep up the great work!!!:bigsmile: