Pesto

Options
dragonfly81
dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
Hit me with some pesto recipes, please! I LOVE pesto and will pretty much eat it on just about anything. How are your best tasting way to make it?

Replies

• dragonfly81
    Options
    Hit me with some pesto recipes, please! I LOVE pesto and will pretty much eat it on just about anything. How are your best tasting way to make it?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but would also love to find a great tasting healthy pesto recipe. Pesto pasta is my husband's fav dish!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    when I make pesto I just sorta throw it all together :embarassed: I don't use a recipe persay.... I use olive oil, parm cheese, pinenuts, fresh basil and garlic then sometimes I will throw in other things to "beef it up" like maybe sundried tomato or roasted red pepper. I just go easy on the oil, you'll know when there's enough in there because of the consistency. try using it as a pizza sauce :love: mmmmmm
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options
    Healthy Pesto (makes 8 servings)

Ingredients2 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup fresh basil
    3 tsp parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic
    Directions
    hull garlic and place it and the parmesan in food processor.

pulse until finely chopped.

seperate basil from stem and place in processor. (if it gets too full pulse a few times to lessen the volume, but don't fully chop until all the basil has been added.)

process until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.

While pulsing add olive oil (or if you don't have a machine with holes in the top, add one tbsp at a time and pulse a few times in between additions.)

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 9.7g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 34Calories from Fat 31
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3.5g5%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g3%
    Cholesterol 1mg0%
    Sodium 10mg0%
    Total Carbohydrates 0.3g0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.2g1%
    Protein 0.3g

Vitamin A 6% • Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 2% • Iron 1%
  • dragonfly81
    Options
    My hubs tried to make pesto once, but he ended up using ALOT more Olive Oil than just 2tbsp. I don't see how you can get 8 servings out of 2 tbsp lol
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    My hubs tried to make pesto once, but he ended up using ALOT more Olive Oil than just 2tbsp. I don't see how you can get 8 servings out of 2 tbsp lol

me neither, that recipe would be to serve 1 if I were making it :laugh: but it's pretty low cal, even if you just split it in half that's only 136 cals each and it's full of good nutrients :flowerforyou:
  • mackenzie_b
    Options
    the basic pesto recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook

3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
    3 to 4 large cloves of garlic
    1/3 cup walnuts or pine nuts
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup parmesan
    Blend it all up in the food processor and toss desired amount with hot pasta.

As a variation, you could use part spinach and part basil.

you can also vary which nuts you use, or use tahini instead (like 1/3 cup).
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think I used 4 cup of basil leaves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 5-6 cloves of garlic (I love garlic!), 1/2 cup parm cheese, 1/4 cup pine nuts.

(edited basil)
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    "Pesto freezes quite well, so make plenty when basil is in season and enjoy it all year. This is good on pasta or pizza. Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender.

3 cups of fresh basil
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 cup of pine nuts or walnuts
    1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, boiled for 1-2 min and drained
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Makes 2 cups of pesto"
    - The Accidental Vegan Cookbook