Ladies Weight Lifting- How do you not get bored?

Options
2»

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I find cardio excruciatingly boring. I have to set mini-goals to do it at all. I also hate to give up on something just because it's hard so that drives me during my (beloved!) lifting sessions.

You may want to check out the strength standards here ---> http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm and make some goals to work toward. If you lift primarily on machines, you can aim to up your weights, say, 5 lbs. or so each session. If you aren't charting your progress, then that is a mistake on a bunch of different levels but certainly not knowing how much progress you are making just by showing up and doing it will stoke the flames of boredom. It is incredibly motivating to see your gains creep up! And when they creep up enough you will have concrete evidence of what a badass you now are! Becoming a badass is rarely boring, in my experience.

Yes! I go on a screaming franzy at my house and a posting frenzy on MFP everytime I up my weight. I benched 75lbs and went APE**** because my left arm is a punk.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do boot camp in a class with about 14 other people, and we have weights and cardio alternate stations, between 60 and 90 seconds per station. It's not boring when there are other people around.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier so that it feels brutal rather than boring :)

Agree.

Absolutely this. And every time you can increase your weight you feel like a Goddess!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I started at the gym 7 months ago. I have a routine I lift weights 2 to 3 times a week and do cardio the other days. What keeps me lifting weights is the results. I am starting to see the giggle areas firm up and that is really satisfying. I also used to have alot of back pain and since working out with weighs the pain is gone so it is worth the effort and time spent in doing weights.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yup, if it's not a challenge, it's not interesting and it's not doing you any good.

Having said that, not everything in life has to be fun.
    Certainly, if you can find a way to enjoy doing something, that's a bonus, but if you can't make it fun, well just do it anyway.
  • onesillygirl
    Options
    I work out w/ a trainer two times a week. It has been a huge help for me in learning different workouts, correct form, etc. I write down all the workouts in a notebook so I can go back to them. I also have found it helpful to workout with a friend.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I feel this way about cardio!

Lifting heavy for me is like a challenge every time. You aim to do better next time, even by just one rep. You feel stronger, more powerful, what is not to love?! It's when you push yourself to the limits that it becomes fun. Also, when you see changes to your body in a way you can never get through diet / cardio alone, it feels awesome!!

Boot camp to me sounds a little like circuit training, would that be right? That would bore me, as it seems like less focus is on what weight you lift / how many reps you do, but more just getting the burn and sweating like mad?
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options

This ^^^^^

I also think with exersise we are all individual .. Soo there is going to be parts we prefare doing more than others.. With weights you can change it around .. ..body pump classes ...( that makes it fun ) my PT makes me lift random things like rope ..beer kegs lol ... I defo don't get bored ..
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's cardio that bores the crap out of me, not weights! But classes make anything more interesting, so if you can get to a body pump or weight circuit class, try that.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use to find weights boring until I had a proper lifting program.. and now that i do, I can't get enough.

There is nothing more satisfying than knowing that I am making my body stronger/leaner... and knowing that boys are watching me like damn, that chick lifts some heavy weights :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options

This is the one!

Also track your progress, I find it a great help to know what I did last time and focus on doing better (a little heavier, one more rep, or even just stronger reps) than the last time :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

This.

Can't say I ever feel bored with lifting. Try concentrating on your form, and the way the muscles feel in movement. In that way, your lifting becomes a mini-moving-meditation (a bit like walking meditation). Lifting makes me feel very peaceful (as does running, for the same reason) whereas cardio at gym, I'm just so bored I plug into the telly till it's over.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am lifting my max weight now. And believe it or not, after I posted this, I got a message from my boot camp instructor saying the challenge this week is a weight circuit. Now my motivation is to beat everyone's butts!