Blacking out when getting up?

Options

Replies

• LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had it all the time too when I ate 1300-1500 calories. Now it's once in a blue moon when I eat 1800 plus calories a day.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've also got low blood pressure - one thing that helps me (other than getting up slowly) is wiggling my feet for a while before I get up - I guess it gets the blood moving or something?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    same. Its better for me when I eat more salt.

this is what the doctor recommended to me and it actually works

and he recommended coffee.

but he didn't call it postural hypotension or whatever. he called it a vazo vagez drop (or something of the sort)
    vaso vagal reflex, or vaso vagal response, or vaso vagal drops. Yep. That.
    Butt clenching helps.
    I have low BP normally 94/54 on a good day.so yeah, I get this. and worse since menopause.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

but he didn't call it postural hypotension or whatever. he called it a vazo vagez drop (or something of the sort)

Vasovagal drop.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    All the time.
    low blood pressure and low blood sugar.
    be sure you're eating sensibly, and don't get up too fast!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Have it here as well! .. was told low. B.P....and not to worry unless it lasts longer than a minute or so. Good Luck
  • shavon007
    shavon007 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Before you stand up.... Sit up wait a few seconds then rise slowly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have it here as well! .. was told low. B.P....and not to worry unless it lasts longer than a minute or so. Good Luck
    Mine are true vaso vagal responses. Sometimes it's when I stand up, sometimes it just happens. These days I can feel them coming on and flex (my butt) my way out of them. It's annoying as hell!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Vasovagal drop.

i was close! lol. i went to the doc for it like 5 years ago and he never wrote nothin' down
  • MichkaMeShell
    MichkaMeShell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YES! I've been noticing this recently, maybe within the last two weeks. I actually fell back into my couch when I stood up the other day. Lately, it's been happening a few seconds after I stand up. After I take a few steps my eyes start blacking out and then everything comes back into focus. I haven't been to the doctor for it, but maybe I should!
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For the last few weeks this has been happening to me, but it's more of just dizziness with fuzzy/pixel vision rather than seeing black. I have wondered if it's low blood pressure. I also wonder if it's because I have lost a lot of weight pretty fast in the last few months, my previous weight loss over the last year was more gradual.:ohwell:
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that answered the OP.:flowerforyou:
    I was curious about this myself.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Vasovagal drop.

i was close! lol. i went to the doc for it like 5 years ago and he never wrote nothin' down
    :smile: I just figured it would be helpful for people who might want to google it or something.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just for anyone who has this and hasn't seen a doctor, it is important to know that it is also a sign of high blood pressure which can be dangerous, so it is a good idea to get it confirmed rather than self diagnose.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Allllll the time, most every time I get up. My boss is always saying "can you come in here?" and I walk in the door squinting my eyes & about falling over. Very embarrasing.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just for anyone who has this and hasn't seen a doctor, it is important to know that it is also a sign of high blood pressure which can be dangerous, so it is a good idea to get it confirmed rather than self diagnose.

True. Low blood pressure is a fairly harmless reason, but it can also happen with severe dehydration, anemia, pregnancy, stroke and other more serious causes.

I recently started having these episodes too, and also found out it was from low blood pressure. My doc gave me some Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C and electrolytes) powder to add to my water. It helps a bunch!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    my blood pressure is always naturally low, mines due to a heart attack a few years ago that damaged the heart. this is one good reason to loose weight.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Vasovagal drop.

:smile: I just figured it would be helpful for people who might want to google it or something.

this used to happen to me alot when i was a teenager. i had pretty much forgotten about it. now i finally know what it's called. gotta love google :D
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    This was happening in the morning to me, I would get out of bed and be blind for about 30 sec. Doctor put me on an asprin regimine, and I haven't had any problems since. Of course the Dr. did a bunch of tests MRIs and the like, before suggesting asprin. He wanted to rule out blockage, tumors ect. All that ruled out I take an 80mg bayer every day and that does the trick.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with this my entire life. I know when it's coming so I can be ready and brace myself or sit back down.