Soooo confused over numbers

Options
Got the bmi down, website tells me to eat 1380 calories a day to loose weight, but the bmr tells me i need 1368 just to stay alive! resting no exercise! How does this work exactly? eat more loose weight too? what am I getting wrong, I'm a newbie, please help. :noway:

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Got the bmi down, website tells me to eat 1380 calories a day to loose weight, but the bmr tells me i need 1368 just to stay alive! resting no exercise! How does this work exactly? eat more loose weight too? what am I getting wrong, I'm a newbie, please help. :noway:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    it's because you lifestyle is not just briething... you do housework, walk out, work... how's that not calories spent?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well, that 1368 is doing absolutely nothing...breathing. You are not likely to lie around doing nothing all day long. You are moving around a bit, I hope. Therefore, you will burn more than that. Depending on how much you move around, you may burn a lot more than that. So to keep you from starving yourself, you are given more calories to consume.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What did you set your goal to when you signed up - 1 lb or 2 lbs per week? One of the things that has been commented on a lot is that it will set you below your BMR sometimes - some people have had to increase their calories to get above their BMR to lose weight - some haven't. I would probably start somewhat conservative in your shoes and up to about 1400 - 1500 then exercise and eat atleast 1/2 of those exercise calories earned and see what happens. After a couple of weeks of seeing how that works, then start to tweak the #'s a little - just MHO :happy: Hope that helps a little - read some of the old posts like the newbies must read these and some by Banks aka SHBoss now - they will help a lot!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    I understand that, also the site recommends I project 1 pound a week, thats nearly a year to reach my goal, I know it does not happn overnite but a little more aggressive results would be nice. I did not eat dinner last nite, I just was not hungry Do I have to eat even if Im not hungry?'
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

this is a great calculator to get an idea how many calories you burn doing a wide-range of activities.
    You'd be surprised what you burn and you don't even realize it. Aside from just your routine workouts.
    Your burning calories at night when your sleeping. Check it out. Blow your mind.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I understand that, also the site recommends I project 1 pound a week, thats nearly a year to reach my goal, I know it does not happn overnite but a little more aggressive results would be nice. I did not eat dinner last nite, I just was not hungry Do I have to eat even if Im not hungry?'

Obviously you don't have to do anything - except pay taxes and die! But I would recommend that you at least eat your BMR. If you're body doesn't have adequate fuel it will not function properly. Like putting regular in sports car desigened for Super Premium - after awhile you lose power and energy. Same thing with your body - if you don't give it regular, healthy fuel you will have problems with energy and health. JMHO!
  • purrrr
    Options
    i would guess it wasn't that you weren't hungry, it might be you have set your mind into 'weight-losing' mode and then it would 'think' it's not hungry, i have found myself going through that in the beginning, but when you don't have dinner for lets say 2-3 nights because you weren't 'hungry', you will most probably find yourself in a position where you are 'over-hungry' at any time of the day and that's how all good things fail and end up in life-threatening binges

while this doesn't have to be the case and you will probably eat dinner tomorrow, i would suggest, especially if you are substancially lower in calories for the day, to have some kinda small light snack like a couple olives, fruit, or maybe fruit juice... juice doesn't even feel like food but it can be pretty caloric and better be freshly squeezed for proper nutrition

do never starve yourself for no reason, your body needs fuel to burn the fats!!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    set my goal for 2 pounds a week, it would not give me that for a projection. I tried 1.5 per week, it would not cooperate either. I am 27 pounds over my desired goal, and that is 20 pounds over ideal, I think i'm realistic, what am I doing wrong! :grumble:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Momma I told you last night, you are not obese, 2 lbs/week is for those in the obese range. 1 lb/week is perfect for you.

1 lb/week x 27 lbs= 27 weeks, that's six months, not a year.

(I should know, I are a teechur)
  • wubbbygirl
    Options
    You have to eat to lose. If you do not eat enough, your body thinks you are starving and it tries to hang on to those extra pounds as long as it can to try to stay alive. You have to find the righ amount of calories to consume to lose weight at a healthy pace. I am trying to stick to the 1200-1300 to lose 2 pounds a week.
  • purrrr
    Options
    set my goal for 2 pounds a week, it would not give me that for a projection. I tried 1.5 per week, it would not cooperate either. I am 27 pounds over my desired goal, and that is 20 pounds over ideal, I think i'm realistic, what am I doing wrong! :grumble:

it's just because you don't have too much to lose and it's not healthy for your body to lose a large % of it's mass so quickly. take me for example, i was 135 pounds over my ideal weight, so a 2 pound loss per week is a 2.7% of that whole mass, so I can 'afford' the loss without shocking my body... but your 27 pounds would mean 5.4% of the mass and that's twice as much, and obviously someone who has 5 times less to lose cannot afford a 2 times faster loss

btw, this is just projected loss and not the precise loss you will be seeing every week, in reality it will probably be more than the projected during the first weeks and less as you get closer to your goal
  • czewwhat
    Options
    :grumble: Okay teechur, younspyin, when your sposta be teechun?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    haha theyre reading right now:wink:

did you read this link?
    homework assignment!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • purrrr
    Options
    btw, i wish my mum was as cool as that... :bigsmile: her BMI is now worse than mine and so many health issues and I just can't get her into it :ohwell:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    yeah I'm pretty jealous that she is so much closer to the goal than I am!:angry:
  • czewwhat
    Options
    :heart: The plus size rack doesnt feel any better, :sad: Loosing your youth is one thing, loosing your looks! Gasp, grabbing my chest :noway: Not gonna let it happen, I like my only chin!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it's not unusual to take a year or more to reach your goal- whether you have 100 lbs to lose or 10 lbs to lose. 1 lb lost a week is amazing, right now I'm losing 1 lb every 2 weeks or so. slow and steady. Not eating enough won't solve anything.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    I appreciate the input, truth is I have had issues with food my whole life. I want to be healthy, do this right and once, not bounce back and forth. knowing there are others who think one pound a week is awesome makes it sound alot better than feeling like I am settling for being over weight because I dont think can do it. Howz that for a mini group therapy session. thanks for the support! If my daughter can do this, I can too :bigsmile: we are made of the same stuff!