Grocery list?

Options
Kitship
Kitship Posts: 579 Member
Hi!
I am just beginning my journey and need a grocery list so I can get some healthy foods in the house. Right now I am just on breakfast foods.
So far I have:
Egg Whites
Veganaise
Yogurt
Almonds
Pistachios
Steel Cut Oats
Almond Milk
Soy Milk
Uncaged Eggs
Cinnamon
Protein Powder
Cottage cheese
Raisins
Kashi cereal
Coconut shavings

Anything to add for lunch/dinner?

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a lot of unfamiliar things and go crazy trying to change everything at once. Pick a new recipe and try that first. Gradually switch over to healthier things as you find you prefer them. I mean, how many calories did you just buy, and how many breakfasts will it take to eat that much?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Baby Spinach
    Whole Carrots
    Apples
    Fresh Mushrooms
    Chicken Breasts
    Tuna
    Feta
    Hormel Bacon Bits
    Newman's Own Salad Mist
    Bagel Thins (Thomas Everything-flavored Bagel Thins: 110 calories. Awesomeness.)

^^^^^ These are all foods that *I* enjoy and need to have on hand. (I also keep many of the foods you mentioned on hand.) Really, the best thing to do is to buy the foods you like, eat them in moderation, and make sure you are getting at least *some* fresh produce into your diet each day. As a PP mentioned, it's best not to go crazy and try to change everything at once. Logging calories and being mindful or what you're eating is a pretty big task in itself. Take it easy and try not to make things too complicated. :flowerforyou:
  • Kitship
    Options
    Thank you both. :)
    Yeah, maybe I should try to ease into things before going crazy and changing my diet completely.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like honey pretzel sticks (7) and yougurt for lunch. Then a nice protein and veggies for dinner.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I also like the Oscar Meyer shaved turkey. You can have 6 slices for 45 calories. I put it on a whole wheat deli thin with a smear of yellow mustard. The whole thing comes to only 145 calories.
    My best suggestion, as others have posted, would be to make small changes in what you are eating. Only try one or two new things a week. Try to eat in moderation with everything else. I find that I tend to eat the same 2 to 3 things per meal every week.
    Good luck and feel free to friend me.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I looooove breakfast. I cook my egg whites with baby spinach, mushrooms and coconut oil.

I'm also a chocolate FREAK so I rarely go a day without a dark chocolate sugar free pudding snack.

Everything else changes daily but I'd find healthy alternatives to common food staples: bread, pastas, cuts of meat, fresh veggies & fruits.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Frozen fruit (great to add small amounts in protein shakes/smoothies)
    Dark, leafy greens!
    Diet hot chocolate (my treat at the end of the day, only 25 calories)
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Where's the fresh fruits and veggies?

Also i've heard numerous times that you don't need protein powder!!! I have a print article that says "Most people, athletes included, can get what (protein) they need from diet alone".

also i'd be careful with the nuts...they can add up fast!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am just beginning my journey and need a grocery list so I can get some healthy foods in the house. Right now I am just on breakfast foods.
    So far I have:
    Egg Whites
    Veganaise
    Yogurt
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Steel Cut Oats
    Almond Milk
    Soy Milk
    Uncaged Eggs
    Cinnamon
    Protein Powder
    Cottage cheese
    Raisins
    Kashi cereal
    Coconut shavings

Anything to add for lunch/dinner?

That's alot of different foods for breakfast. Here's my breakfast and it never changes quick and easy: quaker weight control mapel and brown sugar oatmeal, skim milk and bananas. The smaller the list the easier it is to stick to it.

Eggs I usually eat for lunch before I go to work. Cottage cheese for me is sometimes my dinner @ work. You want to have a few options but not go overboard on choices. Make it simple so it's easier to stick to.

Forgot to add some other great protein options: chicken, tuna and turkey (try oscar mayer all natural turkey lunch meat)
    alot of ppl on here mention eating laughin cow cheese never tried it but ppl mention it alot.
    also a really good switch is to try sweet potato fries instead of french fries. They taste amazing!!!
    forgot to also mention beans especially black beans and dark kidney beans.
    You could always just dress up a salad with chicken but best choice of dressing is vinergeratte or however you spell it as long as you can tolerate it. But salads make a good lunch.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Veggies
    Mixed greens/spinach for salads
    tuna in water
    salmon
    boneless skinless chicken breast

I like to bake pork tenderloin or grill chicken breast and slice it and put it on mixed greens with a little light feta cheese and kraft light raspberry vinaigrette.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a lot of unfamiliar things and go crazy trying to change everything at once. Pick a new recipe and try that first. Gradually switch over to healthier things as you find you prefer them. I mean, how many calories did you just buy, and how many breakfasts will it take to eat that much?

THIS!!! And research some of these foods. You may find more of a nutritional benefit from the almond milk than the soy milk. And where are the fruits and veggies???
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I started with not buying processed meals, so I stuck to the outer isle, aside from 1-2 isles, of the grocery store including nuts/seeds, eggs, dairy, meat, fish, fresh fruits and veggies. The inner isles I go for bread rice and beans, noodles. Sometimes getting frozen veggies.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lean Meats
    Eggs
    Veggies
    Water
    Oats
    Trail Mix
    Quinoa
    Apples and Cuties
    Tuna
    Toilet Paper
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't live without the Laughing Cow lite spreadable swiss cheese wedges!!! I use it on Arnolds Sandwich thins like a bagel, on celery, fat free triscuits, amazingly good!!
  • Kitship
    Options
    D'oh...completely forgot the fruits and veggies.
    I guess I am just so afraid of getting bored of the oatmeal with fruit in it. :(
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My breakfast varies

1.) Egg, and 3 egg whites (I get eggs from my backyard chickens)

2.)1/4 cup cooked steel cut oats with 1/4 cup mixed frozen berries & cinnamon

3.)Jazz apple & rice bran with unsweetened original/vanilla almond milk (non cardio days - I'll have milk after my cardio)

4.)*This is my post workout breakfast - Banana, spinach smoothie (100g banana, 50g spinach, 8oz green tea, 1 scoop protein powder -NitroFusion)

Sometimes I'll eat the apple with the oats.

And I always have 1 scoop of Nutribiotic Rice Protein Spectrum Shake (unsweetened vanilla) in 8oz water prior to workout.

If you do get cottage cheese or greek yogurt - my friend has a cup of greek yogurt (0 fat, 0 carbs, 18g protein) with 14 almonds as a post dinner snack. She is a competitive body builder.

All these options are under or around 200 calories.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    LOL @ vynvyn's last list item..."toilet paper"
  • rhager26
    Options
    A girl I work with who is a fitness model only shops the perimeter of the grocery store. It does make sense. All of your fruits, veggies, dairy, fish and non processed foods are the perimeter of the store. I have began to follow this simple rule and refuse to go down any other aisles. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!
  • AnarchoGen
    Options
    D'oh...completely forgot the fruits and veggies.
    I guess I am just so afraid of getting bored of the oatmeal with fruit in it. :(

You will not get bored of oatmeal!! I love it, after about a week of eating it, usually 45minutes of eating it, I get so pumped up! I always eat it an hour before my workout.
  • AnarchoGen
    Options
    A girl I work with who is a fitness model only shops the perimeter of the grocery store. It does make sense. All of your fruits, veggies, dairy, fish and non processed foods are the perimeter of the store. I have began to follow this simple rule and refuse to go down any other aisles. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!

Yup, stay away from processed foods as much as possible - I do this as well :)