Protein snacks (non-dairy)

Options
2»

Replies

• Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I go to walmart and get the 90% protein powder (Soy Isolate Protein Powder).
    It is a specific brand only sold at walmart. Of all the protein powders this works best for me as it does not
    cause as much issues.I used powder and water and tastes pretty good. I have been adding lemon juice
    from concentrate to my oatmeal for help in digestion. I probably will do the same with the protein powder once
    I start using it again.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start the process of cutting out dairy. I was dairy-free when my kids were babies and I noticed a dramatic change in my health, but I like cheese so I went back to dairy, and the health problems came back with it.

I try to shoot for over 100g of protein a day, and around 90-100g of carbs a day -- more protein and fewer carbs makes me feel much better and seems to help me manage my depression, so it's non-negotiable. I've been using dairy to increase my protein (cheese on my eggs, cottage cheese on my salads, etc.), so cutting it out will impact that protein number. I'm looking for easy sources of protein that won't also come with a lot of carbs -- like I know beans have good protein, but they also have a lot of carbs, so it will throw my balance off. So besides hard-boiled eggs and tuna, can anybody help with quick, easy sources of protein that I could use for snacks? Something that I could keep in the fridge, even if I have to make it ahead of time? Thanks in advance!

Stay away from soy. Have you checked out Mark's Daily Apple? Check out the forums there and you might be able to get some help. Here is the link to our paleo group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

I think the link is right. Come on over. You can get some great recipes and snack ideas.
    I stopped drinking milk and the sinus and ear issues I have dealt with for over 10 years went away. I eat a bowl of ice cream and 30 minutes later I feel like I'm getting a sinus infection.

Make some homemade beef jerky. Nuts are good in moderation (most of them are very high in O6 fats and inflammatory).
  • madison5302
    madison5302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I might suggest the movie FOOD INC. It will get you to think about protein in a different (and scientifically proven) way. I would suggest eating whole and unprocessed veggies - without sauce or dip.
    Protein feeds cancer, promotes heart problems, and is needed in the human body only up to 5%. The government board who told us that we needed 30% of our calories from protein all sit on major protein industry boards too. They want you to feed on their product and in return they feed on you.
    That being said, I eat meat. I just don't do it blindly.
    If you are experiencing depression, it might be linked to other triggers - see a doctor (sometimes several).
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just got some hemp protein powder at my local Vitamin Shoppe. Where are you that you don't have anything else available? I have lived in the middle of nowhere before myself. Glad not to be there right now!

I live in the middle of nowhere. :-P I might be able to find something at WalMart, but that's a pretty far trip and they may not have what I need anyway, so I'll probably end up buying some online.

online is the way to go :D for me, i'm consistently shocked at the sheer range of stuff i can find just on Amazon and mostly with free (or reasonable) postage if i'm willing to wait a few days. i shelled out for prime membership last year (free next day delivery on most stuff) and that + not having to type in my credit details everytime is a dangerous dangerous thing :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Much appreciated.
    I just made these over the weekend and they turned out really good:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm?CJAID=10409402&CJPID=3872207

sounds sort of gross..."meatloaf muffin"....but it's a great high protien snack that is easy to grab and heat up in the microwave. I did add a bit of cheese. also I used lean ground chicken instead of turkey.

That does sound kind of gross. :laugh: But I'll try them out. I don't have a microwave and have no intentions of buying one, but I don't mind cold things.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start the process of cutting out dairy. I was dairy-free when my kids were babies and I noticed a dramatic change in my health, but I like cheese so I went back to dairy, and the health problems came back with it.

I try to shoot for over 100g of protein a day, and around 90-100g of carbs a day -- more protein and fewer carbs makes me feel much better and seems to help me manage my depression, so it's non-negotiable. I've been using dairy to increase my protein (cheese on my eggs, cottage cheese on my salads, etc.), so cutting it out will impact that protein number. I'm looking for easy sources of protein that won't also come with a lot of carbs -- like I know beans have good protein, but they also have a lot of carbs, so it will throw my balance off. So besides hard-boiled eggs and tuna, can anybody help with quick, easy sources of protein that I could use for snacks? Something that I could keep in the fridge, even if I have to make it ahead of time? Thanks in advance!

Stay away from soy. Have you checked out Mark's Daily Apple? Check out the forums there and you might be able to get some help. Here is the link to our paleo group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

I think the link is right. Come on over. You can get some great recipes and snack ideas.
    I stopped drinking milk and the sinus and ear issues I have dealt with for over 10 years went away. I eat a bowl of ice cream and 30 minutes later I feel like I'm getting a sinus infection.

Make some homemade beef jerky. Nuts are good in moderation (most of them are very high in O6 fats and inflammatory).

I'm actually part of that group because I'm curious, but I haven't spent much time in there. I'll poke around a bit more.

EDIT: I was wrong, I was part of a different paleo group. I'll join this one as well. Looks more active anyway.
    I might suggest the movie FOOD INC. It will get you to think about protein in a different (and scientifically proven) way. I would suggest eating whole and unprocessed veggies - without sauce or dip.
    Protein feeds cancer, promotes heart problems, and is needed in the human body only up to 5%. The government board who told us that we needed 30% of our calories from protein all sit on major protein industry boards too. They want you to feed on their product and in return they feed on you.
    That being said, I eat meat. I just don't do it blindly.
    If you are experiencing depression, it might be linked to other triggers - see a doctor (sometimes several).

My decision to eat this way is not related to any government board's information -- it's trial and error to find out what works best for me. I firmly believe that a vegetarian diet is healthier for some people, and a higher-protein diet is healthier for others. We all have different genetic backgrounds, and I believe that impacts our healthiest lifestyle. I've been living with depression since I was a toddler, so I'm pretty well aware of my triggers. One of my triggers is tiredness, and I'm less tired when I have more protein and fewer carbs. When I increase carbs, I feel good temporarily, but I always experience a crash in the afternoon and some days it's unbearable. No crash when I increase the protein -- I just feel good all day. :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Those Jamie Eason Turkey Meatloaf Muffins someone linked are really good! And you can experiment with the seasonings too. I found her recipe to have a bit too much chili/pepper for me.