Gym or workout at home.

Options
Hi everyone
I was considering joining a gym. I was a member years ago when I had my most successful bout of weight loss (70 lbs). What does everyone here do? At home, gym, workout videos, running, classes etc. WHy do you prefer one over another.

Thanks!!

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I can't workout at home, there are too many distractions. I prefer the gym, because of the variety of equipment, and the fact that I feel guilty about paying for it and not using it.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I can't workout at home, there are too many distractions. I prefer the gym, because of the variety of equipment, and the fact that I feel guilty about paying for it and not using it.

Same here.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What others said. I have some time with no kids, but I use that to go to the gym. I tried coming home and working out, but then I'd just look at the dishes that needed put away, the laundry that needed folded, the bathrooms that needed scrubbed.....
    I have free weights at home and I do some fun stuff with my girls every so often, but the bulk of my workouts are done at the gym.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    gym
  • ShalisaClam
    Options
    I work out at home. I need to be in my comfort zone. Also, the closest gym to me is 20 miles away. Can't see getting up every am to drive to exercise... I wouldn't do it.
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do both.. I go to the gym to use the machines... at home i do the MFP push-up challenge, abs, and pull-ups.
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I prefer at home just out of convenince. I'm less likely to work out on cold or snowy days if I have to go somewhere else to do it. But if I work out at home I'm already there, I only need the motivation to start working out, which is easy to find. Going to the gym is good if you want a variety of machines.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do both, but now and for the next 9 months - home training only.
    I just do a gym during the months of Nov, Dec and most of Jan to break my routine.
  • biff54928
    Options
    I workout at home and at our school which has a fitness center :0) I have a treadmill, elliptical, weights, stationary bike and a wii for dance here at home and at school where I work they have a weight center, arc trainer, elliptical, treamills, etc. Both places for me are pretty private since when I work out at home nobody comes into the room or I will bite their heads off and at school there is hardly anyone in the fitness room :0)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, I like the classes and the equipment, and less distractions AND I'm paying for it.

Although, I might start working out in the mornings at home too since hubby will be getting up in the wee hours of the morning and I'll have some time to kill. So I might do cardio at home and weights at the gym, or vice versa, haven't decided yet.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    both. I do my gym routine in the AM and my 30 day shred in the PM
  • samantha196
    Options
    I'm working out at home. The main reason being that the closest gym is almost two hours away and the second reason is cost. Supposedly there is a gym opening this summer about 40 minutes away and depending on cost I might join then. I work out after my oldest son leaves for school but before my younger son wakes up in my living room.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Home, I have a treadmill and elliptical plus I use workout dvd's, kettlebells and my Wii :bigsmile:
  • determinedsocialworker
    Options
    I am definitely a gym convert! I absolutely love my time at the gym. I often have to drag my *kitten* there, but I get there and I like the variety, and seeing other people doing the same things as I am. I have a trainer and I find that to be the best thing I've ever done, but even without her, I would totally be a gym girl! GOod luck no matter which you choose. :)
  • DarkTehWolfy
    Options
    I think both work out pretty well. Depends on your schedule. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and on the other days I do home workouts that I have written down. By doing both my body doesn't get used to one routine. Anyways that is what works for me :)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. I am trying to do JM 30 day shred on the days that I cannot go to the gym.... but I really value the time away from my children.
  • iwillberipped
    iwillberipped Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to change it up, I find when I stick to one thing I lose interest quickly. Two days a week I try to run outside for 45-60 minutes - If it is 40 degrees or above, and I go hard on abs. If it is too cold I head to the gym and do 60 minutes of cardio and abs. I do an extreme circuit training class on Friday nights and Sunday mornings when my husband is home to watch our daughter. I do videos at home the other two days of the week - after my daughter goes to bed (but I am lucky b/c she is down by 6pm). Usually something like Jillian's Ripped in 30 or a P90X video. I do not follow the videos the way they suggest I just do one or two in a row (usually around an hour straight) until I cannot handle it any more - so it depends on my strength and energy for the day.
    If I could make it to the gym everyday that would be wonderful but it just isn't working in my schedule. My daughter is 11 months and she seems to hate the day care there? I have been called down numerous times now to take her home b/c she is too fussy for them (this is a child that hardly fusses over anything - so somethings going on there she hates). After the 3rd time in a week I was called out of my workout, I decided to rework my exercising plan. So I try to squeeze anything in I possibly can, wherever I can. I find the more I workout the more energy I have to push through all of the other things I have to do throughout the day so it balances out. I rest one day a week, two if my body is telling me I need the rest. I have found by constantly changing it up and always doing something different at the gym or rotating videos it keeps my interest and I have seem amazing results in a very short amount of time!