How much cardio is too much cardio?

Options
I currently get in 35-50 min. of cardio a day in the morning. I'm thinking about adding another 30-45 min at night. Is there such a thing as too much cardio?

160577.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• DALLASRAIDER
    Options
    I currently get in 35-50 min. of cardio a day in the morning. I'm thinking about adding another 30-45 min at night. Is there such a thing as too much cardio?

160577.png
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Low-moderate impact usually no. High impact yes. Continuously doing high impact aerobics can cause muscle loss, over-training.

Bodybuilding.com has several articles on their site concerning this..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru23.htm
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I say no way.

I mean, unless it makes you physically tired or sore. Just listen to your body and make sure to mix it up -- mostly medium days with some light days and some hard training days and some rest days. Just so you don't get injured.

But I like to do as much cardio as possible. I haven't been injured (knock on wood) and when I feel sore or tired I just take it easy for a day or have a rest day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there is a point of diminishing returns if you dip into anaerobic burn. But if you space it that far apart and eat enough to refuel, that should be fine. You'll probably need to watch your joints though, and switch up what you do, too much repetetive motion (even non-impact) on one joint can be really bad in the long term.
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    I would be more concerned about mental burn out. :noway:
  • GCDog
    GCDog Posts: 12
    Options
    I think the amount of cardio that you are doing now is enough. Why would you want to add more?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

160577.png
    I do about 2hrs daily some high impact and some low...I feel good I guess go by what your body is telling you..
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine - your cardio would be spaced out during the day and is not really that long.

I usually do about 2 hours of cardio a day when I can - I do that when I feel like it, and it has worked for me.

Now if you were doing 3 hours a day, and wanted to add 3 more hours or something - that would sound like too much.

Enjoy your increasing fitness level, and listen to your body - it will tell you how much is too much (IMHO) :flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do that 3 days a week (gym in the morning and again at night.) On the other 4 days I usually do about 90 minutes/day.